Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Haha, this club has been the bane of my life, tbh. 

I started supporting in about 1994, when I was 7. I've been to many home games (though not in the last few years) and even had away season tickets. 

I stuck with them through loyalty, as once you choose you're not allowed to switch tribe. 

Also, when you've passionately supported a team for your entire youth, it's really hard to not care, or crave the thrill of victory. 

However, I'm not a brummie and have recently resigned from being a Villa fan, but I still want my old club to be the best they can be, for sentimental reasons. 

Had a look on a Leeds forum the other day to get the perspective of a set of fans that would want the season resumed, and was surprised to see them (or a lot of them) against the idea of a twenty-two team league next season, because they're desperate for us and Norwich to be relegated after 'shambolic' seasons, given their track record of ending seasons badly if they're promoted now without having to play another game they should be just grateful for that. Reading it all made me want a null and void of the season even more, as much as I don't think that that will happen... I don't think the twenty-two man league will happen either.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Had a look on a Leeds forum the other day to get the perspective of a set of fans that would want the season resumed, and was surprised to see them (or a lot of them) against the idea of a twenty-two team league next season, because they're desperate for us and Norwich to be relegated after 'shambolic' seasons, given their track record of ending seasons badly if they're promoted now without having to play another game they should be just grateful for that. Reading it all made me want a null and void of the season even more, as much as I don't think that that will happen... I don't think the twenty-two man league will happen either.

They're probably afraid of a 5 team drop, given how long they've been stuck down there. 

8 minutes ago, scarboro_villan said:

I started supporting in about 1994, when I was 7. I've been to many home games (though not in the last few years) and even had away season tickets. 

I stuck with them through loyalty, as once you choose you're not allowed to switch tribe. 

Also, when you've passionately supported a team for your entire youth, it's really hard to not care, or crave the thrill of victory. 

However, I'm not a brummie and have recently resigned from being a Villa fan, but I still want my old club to be the best they can be, for sentimental reasons. 

Some interesting conflicts here. You "stuck with them loyally" although "this club has been the bane of my life". You accept that "once you choose you're not allowed to switch tribe" yet you've "recently resigned from being a Villa fan" having previously "passionately supported a team for your entire youth" Sorry we've been a disappointment to you, have you now switched allegiance to Leicester, Newcastle, Sheffield United or perhaps Liverpool/Manchester City? 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, scarboro_villan said:

What?!

Resigned from being a Villa fan.....what does that even mean! Why are you on this site then? Who do you support now if you resigned as a Villa fan?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Our ground is consistently used for Semi-finals of the FA Cup.

May I pull you up on that one? We don't actually have Wembley as our home ground - though I grant you we go there quite a lot :)

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

May I pull you on that one? We don't actually have Wembley as our home ground - though I grant you we go there quite a lot :)

Yeah fair point, but when semis are played away from Wembley over recent decades, our ground has been used regularly was my point.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What?!

Resigned from being a Villa fan.....what does that even mean! Why are you on this site then? Who do you support now if you resigned as a Villa fan?

His contract as a Villa fan ends on June 30th, he is available on a Bosman to other clubs who would respect his loyalty

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, John said:

Some interesting conflicts here. You "stuck with them loyally" although "this club has been the bane of my life". You accept that "once you choose you're not allowed to switch tribe" yet you've "recently resigned from being a Villa fan" having previously "passionately supported a team for your entire youth" Sorry we've been a disappointment to you, have you now switched allegiance to Leicester, Newcastle, Sheffield United or perhaps Liverpool/Manchester City? 

It's very different growing up in a small town (Scarborough) that has no big club for miles around. You pick, at primary school, based on sticker books, match of the day, etc. 

I'm the eldest of 5 lads. In birth order, we chose Villa, Newcastle, Man Utd, Leeds & Liverpool. 

I actually tried to convert to Scarborough, when I lived there. But to give an example, when the away keeper takes a goal kick, the fans shout "ohhh.. aaah, you s**t b*****d!". It wasn't like the thrill of a permier league game. 

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah fair point, but when semis are played away from Wembley over recent decades, our ground has been used regularly was my point.

Oh yeah, until they moved it all to Wembley in the late 90s, VP was the most used semi final venue (and still is, historically). It's just not been used for 20 odd years was my pedantic point. Doesn't invalidate your overall point at all. You could have added the hosting of WC games, UEFA CWC final, League Cup final replay etc. too.

Premier League clubs are now discussing ending the season. Some clubs are worried squads are too old for a game every 3 days and another club is worried players will refuse to play on health reasons

Edited by Zatman

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Premier League clubs are now discussing ending the season. Some clubs are worried squads are too old for a game every 3 days and another club is worried players will refuse to play on health reasons

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.

Headline of article is misleading, just says that some clubs are concerned about finishing the season, which we already knew. Also say that there's been no attemt to ascertain a preferred outcome and no individual team as yet to express their preferred outcome. In other words premier league clubs aren't discussing ending the season at all.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, scarboro_villan said:

I'm not a Brummie either, I'm a Yam Yam lol, I started supporting Villa at age of 12 in 1992 and never stopped. God used to get bullied for being a Villa fan at times, but I never let it stop me, it was always a great feeling being a loner in my school and neighbourhood being a Villa Fan. I don't think you can ever Resign yourself once you choose and that club grabs your heart it's there for life mate

• Like 1