Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

This talk of games behind closed doors, I personally can’t see it happening this year.The easing of lockdown which is happening in many places doesn’t mean back to normal.People are wearing masks and told to respect social distancing.

How long before 20 people are allowed to be in a small sweaty environment ?Until vaccine arrives.

The big decision is after voiding rest of season is their going to be relegation?

We are going to need other clubs to support us when this is voted on .

13 hours ago, PaulC said:

There’s no restrictions now on over 70s going out to exercise and shop so why wouldn’t he be allowed to attend matches.

He wouldn't be going out to shop or exercise and he would be one of around 100 people, who were gathering to kick a football about, so that the PL can keep as much of it's television income as is possible this season, at whatever the cost.

The PL would use testing kits (that could otherwise be made available to the NHS) and would need medical staff in attendance (who could otherwise be available to work for the NHS for the good of the Nation, rather than of the PL). As Sven said on GMB this morning "we can't risk life to just trying to finish the leagues". He's dead right on that, in my opinion.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If it happens nearer the time or during the time of the festival of football then yes it would be a major problem 

Even if it happens now while people are thinking of the answer to resolve this, it will change their thinking especially the higher calibre/named player I.e. a Liverpool star versus a Norwich squad player (sad as that is).  If Salah or De Gea or De Bruyne got it, I’m pretty sure the PL decision to end the season now would be closer than it is now.

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Five a side - at the power league - twenty minutes each way - we should be able to get the season done in a week.

Heaton, Mings, McGinn, Grealish, Samatta.....not bad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Five a side - at the power league - twenty minutes each way - we should be able to get the season done in a week.

That should satisfy zatman on the integrity front 😀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we'll see games with fans in attendance until 2021.

Yes I agree and probably well into 2021 as well.  Football is going to have to be played behind closed doors else many clubs will go bust 

Voiding the season is the only way out of this even vaguely cleanly. Even playing behind closed doors is a nightmare as every game will still require a bunch of people to turn up to each game just to ensure it runs smoothly, etc etc. You'd also inevitably get people turning up to the stadiums anyway because, well, people are thick.

You can't just end the season as is and have it amount for anything as you'd instantly have a dozen court cases appear for a lot of money.

The only way I see season being completed is if this go till Christmas. I mean without even closed doors. They could complete in the new year. But until that point, we’ll need to know about transfer windows...etc.

I doubt they would leave it that open, I think they have to decide at most beginning of June.

I think the only absolute at the moment - the only date that we know that will affect leagues is the 21st November 2022, there's no way they'll move that World Cup.

It's just a matter getting two full seasons, two part seasons and the European Championships into that 30 month gap - what could possibly go wrong?

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

Voiding the season is the only way out of this even vaguely cleanly. Even playing behind closed doors is a nightmare as every game will still require a bunch of people to turn up to each game just to ensure it runs smoothly, etc etc. You'd also inevitably get people turning up to the stadiums anyway because, well, people are thick.

You can't just end the season as is and have it amount for anything as you'd instantly have a dozen court cases appear for a lot of money.

Exactly...anyone that thinks that liverplop fans are going to sit at home on their own clapping at the telly as they win their first title for 30 years is deluded. there will be 50k around the stadium with their flares and whatnot

Just now, tomav84 said:

Exactly...anyone that thinks that liverplop fans are going to sit at home on their own clapping at the telly as they win their first title for 30 years is deluded. there will be 50k around the stadium with their flares and whatnot

And pubs and bars

Is it right to assume that players are currently training in small groups? I know I heard Tom Heaton and Connor Hourihane interviewed around 4 weeks ago and they said they were starting to go into training again a few days later.

If they are in training in small groups then they can keep up a decent level of fitness that may mean they only need a couple of weeks normal training to be back up to speed.

I don't think though, given that players haven't really had a break other than training differently and then being at home like the rest of us that you can pretty much expect the remainder of this season to finish and then to run into another season without the usual break. Players will still need 3 or 4 weeks off and then you are looking at needing at least 4 weeks pre season for players to get back up to fitness and to try to integrate any new players. You are then looking at 2 months between seasons instead of 3.

I can't see any chance the season re-starts until June at the earliest behind closed doors. You would then need around 6 week to complete the season which takes you up to mid July. Then 2 months before next season would start is mid September. I think that timeline means if season isn't restarted by start of June it will need to be written off.

Edited by markavfc40

People are burning 5G phone masts. Greater Manchester Police have broken up 600 house parties or bbqs in the past few weeks. The first wiff of football and we are going to have trouble. This will have be considered before any games are given the go-ahead. Closed-doors games or not. Public order will be a big concern. Will the overstretched police be willing to put resources into that many games per day? Same with doctors. Football, especially the Premier League, is vastly overstating its importance in the national context.

Some experts speak of social distancing measures until 2022. The reality is, that until a vaccine is found, we will face some curtailments. This will hit sports like football majorily for the next 5 years (assuming clubs outside the Sky 4 survive) without mega rich owners can prop up. It just shows how myopic the thinking is. The pandemic has shown a painful spotlight on the unsustainable and bloated financing in the Premier League. It won't ever be the same after this.

• Like 1