Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

To finish the season by the end of June they would need to be back in training by about the 23rd may. 5 or so weeks from now. That seems unlikely. They may get some games in. No talks of voiding it completely though. 

6 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

14 of the 20 have to vote to continue the season isnt it?

Us, Norwich, Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford, BHA, Everton, City, United would all surely vote to null and void it to either avoid battling relegation or to stop Liverpool winning it. Void it, bonus will be Leeds and Tescobags staying where they belong 🤞

Don’t we can second guess who is going to vote what really.  14 would have to vote to null and void it. Any major decision would need 14 of the clubs voting for it which includes ending it by the 30th June 

Edited by PaulC

I can't see how some leagues in Europe will play on and others will be voided like the Bundesliga on one hand and First Division A (Belgium) for example ending. How will then the European spots be decided?

Chaos and confusion. I think football will result in major changes after this- some maybe for the better (more sustainable wages) and some maybe worse (clubs going bust,  less international games, leagues and cups being restructured in favour of the big teams).

43 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I really can't see how play offs can still be a thing in the current circumstances. Much easier to just promote top 3 if relegation from premier league will still happen.

But 3rd place is playoff and not a guaranteed automatic promotion position.  With 9 games left the teams below still have a valid claim for that spot with the points available, nevermind the fact that playoffs of 3rd to 6th decides the promoted team and not third place.

Edited by nick76

51 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But 3rd place is playoff and not a guaranteed automatic promotion position.  With 9 games left the teams below still have a valid claim for that spot with the points available, nevermind the fact that playoffs of 3rd to 6th decides the promoted team and not third place.

Play offs is all about drama and atmosphere. Think back to how good it was in the two games v WBA last season and of course the final. BCD final at Wembley simply dosen't work for me and with that criteria I'd also scrap the FA cup.

Could still work if they just did home and away final like the semi final but again it's extra games in limited timeframe (another reason I can't see it being feasible in current climate).

8 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

It’s easier to promote without relegating, but even then a mess will be in the Championship. Even if a playoff is done, a lot of teams could still go to playoffs.

The easiest thing is Europe. But promotion, relegation are a big problem, much more if title was awarded.

I still think they will scrap relegation this year if we can't get the season finished in time.  It would just be totally unfair, how many times have the three teams at the bottom with 9 or 10 games to go been the ones that ended up getting relegated?  I'm not sure if anyone has sat down and done the analysis on that.  Just invite 2 teams from the Championship to the PL next season.  The Premier League can just hand over that problem to the Football League to decide which ones and how to split the parachute payments to soften the blow to the other teams.  I really can't see us being in a position to play again before the autumn, I mean what if one of the players picks up the virus two weeks into it?

25 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If the championship was reduced to 22 teams then that would result in nearly 10% less fixtures for every team as well.

But you could surely address that by also doing the same for all of the divisions below? As in promote the top 2 teams from each division right down to League 2 level. Then only League 2 would lose a couple of fixtures but then they have more teams anyways than the Prem & you could still promote the 1 team from the division below that & so on

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Will also be a slew of smaller clubs going out of business so there will be a lot of empty places in the lower leagues.

I think even some biggish clubs might be in trouble as well maybe not to go out of business in the short term but never catch up with their debt, which ultimately medium/long term could be in trouble.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think even some biggish clubs might be in trouble as well maybe not to go out of business in the short term but never catch up with their debt, which ultimately medium/long term could be in trouble.

Absolutely, but in the short term I think a fair few smaller clubs will not be around whenever next season starts.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Without the fans it could be argued it's not a complete product ? 

Bang on. Without fans there is no product. And I’m talking about fans in stadiums, not armchairs. The British game is made on the back of the passion and fervour of the fans, the relationship between fans in the grounds and the players on the pitch. Think of it like the darts, or the theatre ......take away the spectators and what do you have? A quiet stage where you may as well play chess, or kaplunk. Utterly pointless. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Bang on. Without fans there is no product. And I’m talking about fans in stadiums, not armchairs. The British game is made on the back of the passion and fervour of the fans, the relationship between fans in the grounds and the players on the pitch. Think of it like the darts, or the theatre ......take away the spectators and what do you have? A quiet stage where you may as well play chess, or kaplunk. Utterly pointless. 

I agree with everything you say apart from "kaplunk",  this as you are aware is a fun game for all the family but it can be quite noisy,  like hungry hippos.  Connect 4 ? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Why "British"?? 

All football is the same, if anything the PL has actually created more of a problem for themselves because they've chased the global TV audience £

The arm chairs fans abroad are more important to the PL than fans on seats inside stadiums 

Edited by villa4europe

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Why "British"?? 

All football is the same, if anything the PL has actually created more of a problem for themselves because they've chased the global TV audience £

The arm chairs fans abroad are more important to the PL than fans on seats inside stadiums 

It’s the British mentality that creates the British game, that creates the product that is the Premier League. The biggest and most watched league in the world of football. Take away the intensity of the fans, the intensity of the players, and you take away the very ingredient that sells it across the entire world. There’s a reason why it’s the most popular league, by far, throughout the world. It’s a British ingredient that no other country can replicate. 

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

It’s the British mentality that creates the British game, that creates the product that is the Premier League. The biggest and most watched league in the world of football. Take away the intensity of the fans, the intensity of the players, and you take away the very ingredient that sells it across the entire world. There’s a reason why it’s the most popular league, by far, throughout the world. It’s a British ingredient that no other country can replicate. 

I don't agree, I think the idea that our fans give more to our game then say Spanish fans or Italian fans or german fans is a pissing contest and we have comparatively poor atmospheres at our grounds

what the PL has is unbelievable self promotion and marketing that the rest of the leagues cant touch with then also historical factors thrown in both in terms of colonial legacy and the clubs themselves

like I said I think you can actually make an argument that due to the promotion and TV deals / global audience the PL is less dependant on crowds than other leagues, certainly in terms of revenue 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

The intensity of the fans is better in a lot of leagues than it is in the PL these days. Been so for a while now.

Bundesliga is miles ahead, Holland, Sweden, France, Turkey, Greece, Portugal and even Italy is also more lively.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I don't agree, I think the idea that our fans give more to our game then say Spanish fans or Italian fans or german fans is a pissing contest and we have comparatively poor atmospheres at our grounds

what the PL has is unbelievable self promotion and marketing that the rest of the leagues cant touch with then also historical factors thrown in both in terms of colonial legacy and the clubs themselves

like I said I think you can actually make an argument that due to the promotion and TV deals / global audience the PL is less dependant on crowds than other leagues, certainly in terms of revenue 

You’re completely wrong, but hey ho. If you think it’s down to good PR then you can’t be helped. If other leagues could replicate the Premier League PR, or even improve on it, then they can and would. It’s very easy to promote something when it’s the best. You’ve obviously got a bit of a chip on your shoulder with regard to the British football fan, for whatever reason. If you can’t see the connection between the British psyche of the fans and the resulting product on the pitch then, again, you’re beyond help.

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

You’re completely wrong, but hey ho. If you think it’s down to good PR then you can’t be helped. If other leagues could replicate the Premier League PR, or even improve on it, then they can and would. It’s very easy to promote something when it’s the best. You’ve obviously got a bit of a chip on your shoulder with regard to the British football fan, for whatever reason. If you can’t see the connection between the British psyche of the fans and the resulting product on the pitch then, again, you’re beyond help.

haha what a load of sadly misinformed bollocks

look at TV times for live matches across the top 5 leagues in Europe, there's your first clue as to what the PL can do that none of the others are able / willing to do

but no doubt the mid day Saturday kick off isn't because of the demands of the Asian market its because we're so British