Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I wouldn't be surprised if we dont see live football with fans until Euro 2021.

On a sporting note the break could extend a lot of players careers, some of them will rarely get such a long break without injuries. Different era but after World War 2 it wasnt uncommon for players to play into 40s

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we dont see live football with fans until Euro 2021.

On a sporting note the break could extend a lot of players careers, some of them will rarely get such a long break without injuries. Different era but after World War 2 it wasnt uncommon for players to play into 40s

So I still have a chance at 43?

7EAAAD55-660D-40EB-9B49-EB6BBEF02279.jpeg

There’s a poll on the BBC Sport website to vote on what should happen to the 19/20 season. The current leader (void) is the only scenario that guarantees us staying in the top flight for the next season (TBA!). The voting closes at 17:00 today.

5 minutes ago, brommy said:

There’s a poll on the BBC Sport website to vote on what should happen to the 19/20 season. The current leader (void) is the only scenario that guarantees us staying in the top flight for the next season (TBA!). The voting closes at 17:00 today.

Voiding in the lead currently with 38%, no other option preferred more other than 'finish the season no matter how long it takes' - on 28%. 

What should the Premier League do with the 2019-20 season?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52282288

Edited by Jareth
  • Thanks 2

If this carries on for much longer I will expect to see Villa Park appear in Abandoned Engineering. Ah yes when thousands of people sat  in thermal underwear paid substantial amounts of money to watch over paid men kick a plastic ball on a grass pitch for 90 minutes. How quaint.

• Like 1

FFS 'festival of football' is listed as an option...can't believe that phrase is actually gathering legs. i can see the brand new SkySports intro tune and theme now...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The EU have just said "There will be no return to normal life until a vaccine is widely available". A common sense statement from an organisation not usually noted for common sense.

Do the Premier League think they know better than the combined expertise of medics and scientists across Europe? I know that we have Brexited the EU, but nobody has told that to Covid - 19 and it doesn't care. Coronavirus doesn't watch the news, it just gets on with it's job of silently infecting people who are out in the community for whatever reason.

We are currently being fed on a 'drip feed of managed information' in order to prevent social disorder and panic, but the stark reality is that until there is an effective Covid - 19 vaccine available in billions of doses worldwide, life cannot return to normal.

Given that a vaccine is still 12 to 18 months away and 67 million people will need to be injected in the UK alone, next season cannot happen in any recognisable form. We might be looking at a return to Premier League as we know it in 2022.

If the PL is really still planning to finish this season, they need to be fitted with straight jackets and taken away by men in white coats.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

FFS 'festival of football' is listed as an option...can't believe that phrase is actually gathering legs. i can see the brand new SkySports intro tune and theme now...

You know what I bet Sky already have logos, music and branding ready to go for the 'festival of Football'.

• Like 1

One why they are desperate to restart the season and have a summer transfer window.

Google translated and the figures are just roughly translated from Swedish currency so a bit off.

Bought the players with money they didn't have

Now the soccer bubble can crack

Is the top international football on the way to a stock market crash?

Now, in any case, the most lucrative league in the world is starting to brace themselves for the effects of the corona virus.

The background is a transfer game where the world's biggest stars are bought on speculation.

Football clubs' revenues are falling one by one and experts have already warned of collapsed player values and a transfer market that will stand still this summer . So can it be so much worse now?

Yes, we have actually just begun.

Owing over  £2 billion

Because it's not just that the world's richest football clubs have already lost much of their revenue. In addition, they have huge debts following speculation in the player market.

According to the Daily Mail , the clubs in the English Premier League alone owe a total of £2 billion in unpaid transitional sums.

The reason is that the clubs have not had the billions they spent on player purchases in recent years. Instead, they have entered into installment plans with selling clubs, which in turn have sold the claims to external companies and banks in order to get their money directly.

For example, when Manchester United bought Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace for £56 million last summer, the payment was split. A partial sum was paid directly but a further £25 million will be sent from United this coming summer.

But not to the Palace.

However, in order to get the full sum directly, Palace sold the claim in turn to the Australian bank Macquarie. They simply borrowed the money they would receive directly from the bank the following year, with the coming money from United as collateral.

A convenient way for Manchester United to be able to buy the defender despite not being able to afford the entire transfer fee directly and yet at the same time enabled Palace to immediately redeem all kronor. This so that they could then go out into the same market and speculate in a similar way themselves.

This is how the transfer wheels of football have rolled and in this way the balloon with rampant player costs has been inflated. By owning both buying and selling club in a business in practice.

Felix and Griezmann financed with loans

The only problem is that there are speculation deals. Clubs are simply dealing with revenue they can really only speculate on coming. But what if the audience revenue suddenly falls to zero, the sponsoring companies start to withdraw their money and the broadcasters threaten not to make their payments?

What for a few months felt unthinkable but now happened.

Will all clubs that bought players with borrowed money now be able to make their installments? What happens otherwise?

They are also many.

Bournemouth has also borrowed money from Macquarie for two player sales, as well as Watford following Richarison's transfer for £60m to Everton and Leicester when Riyad Mahrez was sold to Manchester City.

According to previous information from the BBC , giants such as Barcelona and Atlético Madrid should also have borrowed from external players when they acquired Antoine Griezmann and Joao Felix last summer.

This means that experts now fear that the entire football transfer market could be a bubble on the verge of cracking. If a club fails with its installments, it can in turn fall tile after tile in the domino game built up by billion-dollar businesses with borrowed money.

Daily Mail's figures on clubs' outstanding transfer loans also show what astonishing sums it is that must be funded even if match games fail in the coming months.

All clubs except three in the Premier League have outstanding transfer debts. 15 of them at least £20 million each.

United very worst

Manchester United is the worst with over £200m followed by the local rival City of over £100m. Two giants that have such strong commercial revenues that they can probably still fulfill their commitments.

But what about relegation candidates trio West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth, who together owe £200m, if the season continues to be postponed?

The Premier League clubs are currently discussing a transfer pact with the Second League Championship to help save the economy by pushing down player salaries. But regardless of how many pacts the PL clubs make between them, it remains a fact that 11 of the £2 billion they owe in transfer agreements should go to foreign clubs.

Now we have to ask ourselves if the transfer bubble is going to squeak or slap. And which ones it will bring in the explosion.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/wPGLl5/kopte-spelarna-med-pengar-de-inte-hade

5 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Exactly...anyone that thinks that liverplop fans are going to sit at home on their own clapping at the telly as they win their first title for 30 years is deluded. there will be 50k around the stadium with their flares and whatnot

If that's a major concern then I think that's where the training ground rumour has come from e.g. St Georges Park hosting games which is in the middle of nowhere but has good facilities.

Does take away the home and away edge though. Even behind closed doors players are still used to arriving at VP, using the dressing room and knowing the pitch dimensions (or not given some of our performances last season!) and you'd lose all that playing at neutral venue.

Add in the self isolation is easier there then playing a game and then going back home.

33 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

The EU have just said "There will be no return to normal life until a vaccine is widely available". A common sense statement from an organisation not usually noted for common sense.

Do the Premier League think they know better than the combined expertise of medics and scientists across Europe? I know that we have Brexited the EU, but nobody has told that to Covid - 19 and it doesn't care. Coronavirus doesn't watch the news, it just gets on with it's job of silently infecting people who are out in the community for whatever reason.

We are currently being fed on a 'drip feed of managed information' in order to prevent social disorder and panic, but the stark reality is that until there is an effective Covid - 19 vaccine available in billions of doses worldwide, life cannot return to normal.

Given that a vaccine is still 12 to 18 months away and 67 million people will need to be injected in the UK alone, next season cannot happen in any recognisable form. We might be looking at a return to Premier League as we know it in 2022.

If the PL is really still planning to finish this season, they need to be fitted with straight jackets and taken away by men in white coats.

I know the Premier league has many faults but I'm a bit bemused why they're constantly getting hammered for at least coming up with proposals for a couple of months time, surely that's sensible planning to at least given clubs and everyone some notice? There is no logical and full proof idea available and ultimately football isn't going to be like it was in Feb 2020 for a long time so afraid we're going to have to get used to BCD.

They are also only following what Germany (although they're much better equipped for this crisis) Italy and Spain (hundreds of deaths every day still) are doing. Are you slaughtering Serie A every day for the latest public statements from various figuers saying they want it restarting by May 31st?

While other leagues talk and plan for leagues to restart the premier league isn't going to be void anytime soon. The government advice not so long ago was for league to restart when it was at a safe time to do so. If the Government properly does it job (TEST TEST TEST) that could well be July.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sne said:

One why they are desperate to restart the season and have a summer transfer window.

Google translated and the figures are just roughly translated from Swedish currency so a bit off.

But what about relegation candidates trio West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth, who together owe £200m, if the season continues to be postponed?

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/wPGLl5/kopte-spelarna-med-pengar-de-inte-hade

Whoops. There are your 3 "relegated" teams.

I think this season is over,  void.  

This may sound harsh but like some shop's & business' that have just got by over the years,  may football needed a bit of a purge as well ?

Leaner,  meaner or a catastrophic outcome ? I suppose we will find out ?

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

why they're constantly getting hammered for at least coming up with proposals for a couple of months time, surely that's sensible

Not sure ,  the only person (from recent history) I can possibly think of who would plan to play football matches in an active virus based battlefield environment where the fight is very much on with the fiendish virus fellow is,  as I am sure you are quite aware, General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett, VC, KCB, DSO.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Not sure ,  the only person (from recent history) I can possibly think of who would plan to play football matches in an active virus based battlefield environment where the fight is very much on with the fiendish virus fellow is,  as I am sure you are quite aware, General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett, VC, KCB, DSO.  

As he would say “If nothing else works ,a total pig headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through”

I can’t think of a more suitable person to promote restarting the league.

• Haha 2

I found the Aftonbladet article very interesting.   

I am not clear - when a club finances an outstanding fee receivable, does the purchasing club owe the selling club or the bank?     

Typically does the bank have recourse to the selling club if the purchasing club cannot pay?