Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

haha what a load of sadly misinformed bollocks

look at TV times for live matches across the top 5 leagues in Europe, there's your first clue as to what the PL can do that none of the others are able / willing to do

but no doubt the mid day Saturday kick off isn't because of the demands of the Asian market its because we're so British 

Let me understand what you’re implying correctly? All that the other leagues would need to do, to attract the worldwide audience that the Premier League does, would be to tweak their Kick Off times? Is that what you’re saying? 

Just now, OxfordVillan said:

Let me understand what you’re implying correctly? All that the other leagues would need to do, to attract the worldwide audience that the Premier League does, would be to tweak their Kick Off times? Is that what you’re saying? 

What I'm saying is is that there is a demand for European football globally, the PL is the most willing of the European leagues to change its schedule to meet that demand, it has made itself more available to other regions that's a big part of why the PL is able to grow, you then throw in the marketing and promotion about how it is more exciting than everyone else

No one else is putting a game on both Saturday and Sunday lunch time and early evening 

How is it the most watched league in the world? Put it on at times the most people can watch it... Not rocket science 

5 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Nope, he is saying the fans are irrelevant for the Premier League. Better atmosphere abroad but the Premier League fans arent why its so popular its because they marketed football properly. Premier League is not even that English anymore except for the location. 

Clubs abroad also tend to listen to the fans complaints compared to the arrogance of the Premier League

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What I'm saying is is that there is a demand for European football globally, the PL is the most willing of the European leagues to change its schedule to meet that demand, it has made itself more available to other regions that's a big part of why the PL is able to grow, you then throw in the marketing and promotion about how it is more exciting than everyone else

No one else is putting a game on both Saturday and Sunday lunch time and early evening 

How is it the most watched league in the world? Put it on at times the most people can watch it... Not rocket science 

Well, games have been played on Saturday and Sundays in this country for quite some time, certainly pre-dates the Premier League. Perhaps it’s the British mentality/psyche that makes us more competitive/adaptable, which in turn creates the faster, more exciting football on the pitch. Football that is more competitive throughout the entire league rather than one or two clubs dominating. 

• Haha 1

Can i ask if social distancing is in place until a vaccine is found how the hell are you expecting 22 players to play a game of football as well as having refs and lines men? Also how would you organise the subs to be 2 metres apart?

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Bang on. Without fans there is no product. And I’m talking about fans in stadiums, not armchairs. The British game is made on the back of the passion and fervour of the fans, the relationship between fans in the grounds and the players on the pitch. Think of it like the darts, or the theatre ......take away the spectators and what do you have? A quiet stage where you may as well play chess, or kaplunk. Utterly pointless. 

Could be a case where next season we could see dramatically reduced crowds in grounds to allow for safe spacing. If Villa park had 15000 fans they’d still be a decent atmosphere. Something has got to give. Football has to survive somehow. It’s too easy to say clubs that have been around for 100 years or more will go. 

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Can i ask if social distancing is in place until a vaccine is found how the hell are you expecting 22 players to play a game of football as well as having refs and lines men? Also how would you organise the subs to be 2 metres apart?

There’s going to have to be exceptions 

1 hour ago, sne said:

The intensity of the fans is better in a lot of leagues than it is in the PL these days. Been so for a while now.

Bundesliga is miles ahead, Holland, Sweden, France, Turkey, Greece, Portugal and even Italy is also more lively.

agreed...the best atmospheres in this league are laughable compared to the likes of dortmund so dont think anyone can say that the fans make this the best league in the world. you could argue attendances but that's partly due to the knock on effect of the league's reputation and therefore the number of tourists that attend...anyone that's ever been to old trafford or the new spurs ground can vouch for that.

what supposedly makes the prem the 'best' in the world is the quality of players largely...the money in the league means clubs can attract the best players and pay the most in wages. sky made the product what it is today by pumping the money in when division 1 became the premier league and it's grown from there. other leagues have been playing catch up ever since

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Nope, he is saying the fans are irrelevant for the Premier League. Better atmosphere abroad but the Premier League fans arent why its so popular its because they marketed football properly. Premier League is not even that English anymore except for the location. 

Clubs abroad also tend to listen to the fans complaints compared to the arrogance of the Premier League

yep - the fans prevented a la liga game being played in miami

but i guarantee there will be a prem game played abroad in the next 5 years IMO irrespective of what the fans want

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Long ball tactics?

The true strength of English football is not the premier league, it’s the entire football pyramid.

Theres no other league on the planet that has teams pulling in 20,000 attendances in their 3rd tier divisions, then you consider the structure and support right down to like tiers 7 and 8, it’s totally incomparable with any other country (to my knowledge), a fact accentuated by the Championship having higher average attendances than a lot of 1st tier divisions elsewhere.

Sadly, this is what we’re most likely to lose out of this current situation with so many of those clubs already operating at close to breaking point.

• Like 1

Latest BBC report seems to be thawing on the idea that the season will be voided if its not possible to finish by 30th June.  They are talking about players contracts and clubs kit and commercial deals.  

Also mentions people feeling that the 2020/20201 season is more important now.  

The penny is finally dropping I think.  

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Latest BBC report seems to be thawing on the idea that the season will be voided if its not possible to finish by 30th June.  They are talking about players contracts and clubs kit and commercial deals.  

Also mentions people feeling that the 2020/20201 season is more important now.  

The penny is finally dropping I think.  

i saw that too. interesting point raised that if they allow leeds and west brom to be promoted that increases the number of games therefore increasing tv money, meaning clubs dont need to repay it from missed games this season

the tenner i put on norwich to stop up at 9/1 as COVID first kicked off is looking ever more likely

From a TV standpoint the PL is a fantastic product, only the Bundesliga comes close IMO.

The broadcast from the PL are sleek and on par with US sport but thankfully without the commercial breaks every other minute (yet).

The money since the PL started has helped to bring in the best managers in the world and some of the best players from abroad. And with tons of clubs bought up by foreign owners pumping in even more money and exposing and marketing their teams and stars to Asia, the middle east, the US and Africa they have been very good at creating interest.

But the reality is that it's all build on loans and on money that the clubs down actually have, it's not sustainable if the TV money dries up and if they can't move imaginary money in the transfer circus.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The true strength of English football is not the premier league, it’s the entire football pyramid.

Theres no other league on the planet that has teams pulling in 20,000 attendances in their 3rd tier divisions, then you consider the structure and support right down to like tiers 7 and 8, it’s totally incomparable with any other country (to my knowledge), a fact accentuated by the Championship having higher average attendances than a lot of 1st tier divisions elsewhere.

Sadly, this is what we’re most likely to lose out of this current situation with so many of those clubs already operating at close to breaking point.

Quite right. It would be nice if the PL, PFA and EFL recognised that by putting some of their money in the hands of lower tier clubs. These clubs are in grave danger of folding, unless someone does something about it. We don't want more Bury's, but PL clubs, leagues, the PFA and agents don't care enough to help the smaller clubs, by giving them a little help. They wouldn't miss the money that would guarantee smaller clubs existence, but would simply ask, what's in it for them? 😕

14 minutes ago, John said:

Quite right. It would be nice if the PL, PFA and EFL recognised that by putting some of their money in the hands of lower tier clubs. These clubs are in grave danger of folding, unless someone does something about it. We don't want more Bury's, but PL clubs, leagues, the PFA and agents don't care enough to help the smaller clubs, by giving them a little help. They wouldn't miss the money that would guarantee smaller clubs existence, but would simply ask, what's in it for them? 😕

Exactly! From a pure business point of view it would suit them to go out of business.  The players would still be around and thus 2nd teams of big clubs would get better players, more exposure and big clubs wouldn’t have to pay big fees for lower tier players because they would be in their 2nd and third teams, which essentially would be nursery clubs.  Clubs are already buying players and sending off to their foreign teams/feeder clubs....this would just bring it domestically as well.  Something I don’t think any of us want because big teams would just further stock pile players.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

There’s going to have to be exceptions 

How paul? If the government is saying social distancing for health and safety why should it be different for footballers?

I only see the season starting when the government tells us we dont need tk social distance anymore. But can anyone see that happening any time soon?

I think may will be a complete lockdown for whole month like now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How paul? If the government is saying social distancing for health and safety why should it be different for footballers?

I only see the season starting when the government tells us we dont need tk social distance anymore. But can anyone see that happening any time soon?

I think may will be a complete lockdown for whole month like now.

We have another 3 weeks of this at least. I don't know the answers but there will have to be some relaxation in social distancing to get the country back on its feet. Its going to be little bit at a time. The Govt haven't worked it out yet so how are we suppose to.