Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Difference being would teams be willing to pay the prices those players would cost because we don’t need to sell.  I’m assuming not!

I hope you are right, but players with itchy feet tended to get what they wanted, in the recent past. 

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we lose Grealish around 8th and 9th is where we should expect to finish in the Championship in my opinion.

I think we are a very average side without Jack.

Based on your earlier post that means you think Jack adds 1 place to our position?

If we lose grealish we would have a lot to spend  hopefully we would spend it more wisely than when we last went down. 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I think so too. Squad fully fit and players sold that have probably got to be sold we'd be looking to replace Jack and Mings, possibly McGin and Heaton. Steer surely gets Heaton's spot, we then need the best we can get in those other positions. Couple of prem loans, couple of decent overseas players, the likes of Louie Barry coming through, the players we already have being more comfortable in the championship - plus over £100 mill in player sales income - I think we'll be very competitive. 

As a general rule, selling your best players, doesn’t make you competetive. It simply leaves you weaker. Most of the teams who bounce straight back do so because they managed to retain their best players and ditched the worst. We’re not down yet anyway. Far too much negativity on here for me. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John said:

I hope you are right, but players with itchy feet tended to get what they wanted, in the recent past. 

I agree and I expect some to go if we get relegated but outside a few players that we will get good prices for, most of our players aren’t big club quality and the other clubs can’t afford or close to affording them.  

Also some of our players haven’t lived up to the price we paid for them and given it’s only a year I’d be surprised, with our owners, that they’d take loses on those players after one season as most of the players we brought were young projects.

Of course, as with any summer transfer windows, there will be ins and outs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That's an enormous amount of pressure to put on Smith.

After seeing us this season i don't expect a top 2 finish in the Championship at all. We'll do well to finish in the top 6 with this horrendous squad.

I'm not quite sure DS would be the manager to implement that push for top 2. Could be like 18/19. Start it with existing manager, have a disappointing start and then get a good managerial bounce in October without being that far adrift of top 2.

One thing that has always handicapped us in the championship is our painfully slow starts to the season down there. All three seasons we only won 2 out of our first 10 games or close to that. Reason Cardiff kept their distance over us in 17/18 is because they won their first 5 games and Wolves were similar so had that points buffer.

All that said we're a long way from relegation happening.

The squad isn't that bad. We could still have likes of McGinn and Heaton sticking around (seems there's talk now of Mings moving on with euros delayed until next summer). El Ghazi played a good part in last season's run in. We know Hourihane can chip in with close to double figures from goals and think Samatta would be an excellent forward down there. Add in we'd sign 3-4 like we did last time when Jedinak, Chester, Kodj and Adomah all came in that summer. It's better than 2016 anyway imo.

11 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

To just automatically finish in the top 2 is big headed in my opinion. Last time we got relegated, we were down there for 3 seasons. The Championship is a very difficult league to get out of I think. Smith earned his chance in the Premier League by getting us promoted from The Championship. We aren’t cut adrift in the Premier League, we have a chance of staying up, let’s just hope we seize it

Well Newcastle keep doing it. Get relegated out of premier league in shambolic fashion, sell a few key players like Sissoko and yet they breezed the league on both occasions.

Fulham are our usual comparison these days. They've been very inconsistant but still weren't that far off top 2 before the break.

I'm not sure what the issue is. We were a total mess going down last time so I never expected a quick promotion challenge in 16/17 and of course had the ownership change.

Let's hope it dosen't come to it and we can continue building in premier league whenever things can get back to normal.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think people are overrating our squad. 

Think we would struggle with this squad in the Championship. Big time

If we stick with Smith and get relegated i expect us to finish around 10th-9th in the Championship

We would sign players just like we did last time. Many of those eventually became key parts of us going up. Add in loans like Snodgrass and Abraham we could attract no problem in the championship.

You add a Dwight Gayle and Joe Lolley from the money cashed from Grealish and we would be o.k I suspect as any side serious for promotion needs a couple of prolific attackers.

Just gambling on Wesley coming back from serious injury to score 20 goals is one scenario where things would probably falter. I think Samatta would stay in any case.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I remember similar comments last time we went down.  And what fun it would be winning most of the time. 

Seemed very hollow before our mad run last season when we were staring down the barrel of a 4th championship season. 

I wasn't saying it for 16/17 in fairness. Was expecting a mid table finish and to be much stronger in the second season which happened. Didn't quite expect the long winless runs though.

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Those who think we will walk the league without jack are optimistic at least!

90% of our attack goes through him!

We'd have to reshape our team a bit. Or could just sign Eze from QPR as he's got similar ball carrying potential. He will inevitably have premier league clubs after him though.

The "dreaded" loan market will inevitably be used. Just make sure we secure some fixed price permanent transfers for them this time.

If Jack goes then we’ll have the money to spend, not to replace him like for like as that’s not happening, but on two or three new midfielders of good quality that can transform the way we play. With no more Jack, we will have to find another way to attack that isn’t so reliant on his individual skill. Of course I’d prefer to keep him and buy those quality midfielders, but if he is to go then it opens up other options for the manager at least. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Those who think we will walk the league without jack are optimistic at least!

90% of our attack goes through him!

Yes but with him gone we’d have to set up and play differently, as others have said you’d think it nailed on that we’d spend at least some of the money we’d make on Jack so it’s part dependent on who we bring in but it’s been the model for most of the clubs outside of the big boys to sell their top players and reinvest, hopefully wisely.

Spurs did it for years to get to where they are now, as much as it pains me to say it we need to be looking at them as our guide into a new age, rewind a decade or so and we were level pegging really in terms of size, scale and ambition, look at the gulf between us now.

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We would sign players just like we did last time. Many of those eventually became key parts of us going up. Add in loans like Snodgrass and Abraham we could attract no problem in the championship.

You add a Dwight Gayle and Joe Lolley from the money cashed from Grealish and we would be o.k I suspect as any side serious for promotion needs a couple of prolific attackers.

Just gambling on Wesley coming back from serious injury to score 20 goals is one scenario where things would probably falter. I think Samatta would stay in any case.

Then you have Hourihane/McGinn 10-12 goalscorers at that level

Adomah was a good player in that league. I dont think is that much difference between him and Trezeguet 

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

As a general rule, selling your best players, doesn’t make you competetive. It simply leaves you weaker. 

Yeah that's a given, when you're relegated. The years in the championship taught us that to be competitive its down to getting the better loans in, and picking up talent abroad with decent scouting. We've experience doing that, and we have a better squad than last time we went down IMHO, with a genuinely better youth set-up coming online.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

As a general rule, selling your best players, doesn’t make you competetive. It simply leaves you weaker

Liverpool sold Coutinho and became much stronger.

It all depends how good you invest the money.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I wasn't saying it for 16/17 in fairness. Was expecting a mid table finish and to be much stronger in the second season which happened. Didn't quite expect the long winless runs though.

I suppose then we went down bottom with one of the worst relegations in History.  We certainly won't be starting from that low point this time, plus we had not a lot to sell to generate extra spending power over parachute payments.  This tme we will have some very expensive assets to sell, probably double our relegation cash. 

22 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Except on Ferrit Bueller as it's his day off.

Why not Google it.You will see that since this pandemic started we have a total of 6 deaths in the whole of Western Australia, and 3 of them are crew members from a cruise ship docked in Fremantle harbour. 

14 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Why not Google it.You will see that since this pandemic started we have a total of 6 deaths in the whole of Western Australia, and 3 of them are crew members from a cruise ship docked in Fremantle harbour. 

I believe you, i was just making a silly joke/pun. was surprised to see a ferrit related testing theory on a prem league thread, but i think the UK could use all the help they can get against this virus.

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Liverpool sold Coutinho and became much stronger.

It all depends how good you invest the money.

And on the flip side they sold Luiz Suarez and replaced him with Borini, Balotelli and Rickie Lambert. Rodgers got sacked six months later.

• Like 1