Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

50 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If we do go down I'm expecting us to do a Newcastle e.g. comfortable top 2 finish.

Not sure what the excuse would be given most of our squad would be used to championship compared to going down in 2016 and we'd get a big windfall from Grealish leaving.

FFP will likely be relaxed in the circumstances aswell.

Only yet another misguided transfer window would deny us. Sign likes of Joe Lolley and Gayle and that should be enough.

To just automatically finish in the top 2 is big headed in my opinion. Last time we got relegated, we were down there for 3 seasons. The Championship is a very difficult league to get out of I think. Smith earned his chance in the Premier League by getting us promoted from The Championship. We aren’t cut adrift in the Premier League, we have a chance of staying up, let’s just hope we seize it

• Like 2

If we went down it would depend on the circumstances that happened for me.  If it was on some stupid rejigged points system then I think the authorities would make refs give us everything to get back up first time.

I agree it was harder than I thought first season and was not much better for the other 2 apart from a few streaks.

To relegate us after 28 games could be the end of the club.  I just cannot see it happening but then what do I know!

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

If we do go down I'm expecting us to do a Newcastle e.g. comfortable top 2 finish.

That's an enormous amount of pressure to put on Smith.

After seeing us this season i don't expect a top 2 finish in the Championship at all. We'll do well to finish in the top 6 with this horrendous squad.

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

After seeing us this season i don't expect a top 2 finish in the Championship at all. We'll do well to finish in the top 6 with this horrendous squad.

I think it's a squad lacking in the Prem, but it would be a different story in the Championship, presuming there would be some tweaks and evolutions over the summer. Look at Targett—he was a standout in the Championship, but in the Premier League, he's just OK.

I think there's a lot to be said about our having to get so many players up to speed over the summer. It should never happen like that—players are always trying to get up to speed, even more so because so many came from abroad.

• Like 1

IMO If we were to go down the Championship would surely be a lot more favourable for us to go back up straight away. If Leeds, Boggies and say Fulham werent around, who would rival us? The 2 that came down with us and maybe a couple of others already in the league? Brentford would be depleted again, Sheff Wed maybe but they will have money issues, Derby? Pffftt. Id trust Smith to recruit well for that league and we’d be massively favoured to bounce straight back automatically.

Its just getting a side that can close the gap in gulf when you do go up thats the issue. Recruitment and coaching has to be top notch, Sheff Utd have smashed it to be fair whereas we just underwhelm. Its embarrassing to just become a yoyo club like Olbiyun have always been known, even that basket case of a club Newcastle have managed to sustain their status now. And its disheartening that whenever you get a few decent players the media do everything to link them away and we are stopped from competing wages-wise to stand a chance of keeping them at the club and building something. If it turns out we cant even keep a diehard fan and the captain then what hope do you hold for the good players who have no connection to the club?

I think people are overrating our squad. 

Think we would struggle with this squad in the Championship. Big time

If we stick with Smith and get relegated i expect us to finish around 10th-9th in the Championship

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think people are overrating our squad. 

Think we would struggle with this squad in the Championship. Big time

If we stick with Smith and get relegated i expect us to finish around 10th-9th in the Championship

I think you're underrating it or overrating the championship

We've played some OK stuff at times this season (don't get me wrong we've been utter **** wank at times too) but had big problems with the midfield and with confidence, if we were to drop down and get the right midfielder we would instantly be better (I think the club know this hence the Drinkwater signing but he aint it) and the confidence should come naturally with Nakamba and Luiz being here another year and the drop in level

If we went down we can't do what we did last time in terms of the age of the players we look to sign, gayle for example is a massive no for me, 29, not good enough for the PL, him on a 3 year deal shows we've learnt nothing as a club, I do however think an older more experienced CM is more likely, don't know who that is mind, a Gareth Barry type player who seems ageless, if we do splurge it should be on the likes of eze or maybe even test Norwich over cantwell if we sell jack

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I remember similar comments last time we went down.  And what fun it would be winning most of the time. 

Seemed very hollow before our mad run last season when we were staring down the barrel of a 4th championship season. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I remember similar comments last time we went down.  And what fun it would be winning most of the time. 

Seemed very hollow before our mad run last season when we were staring down the barrel of a 4th championship season. 

for all the stick he's got maybe Suso has got us a squad that would stick together and yo-yo

there doesn't seem like the requirement to ship out 10+ players when we go down and then again 10+ new players in when we come up

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

If we hadn't lost to tin pot Bournemouth twice we wouldn't be in the bottom 3...

Arrgghh man. Was thinking about this the other day when looking at the league table. We would be as good as safe and they would be as good as down if we had got the better of them this season.

I know you can can pick out any game or combination of games and say what if, but Bournemouth doing the double over us seems particularly painful.

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

for all the stick he's got maybe Suso has got us a squad that would stick together and yo-yo

there doesn't seem like the requirement to ship out 10+ players when we go down and then again 10+ new players in when we come up

I think so too. Squad fully fit and players sold that have probably got to be sold we'd be looking to replace Jack and Mings, possibly McGin and Heaton. Steer surely gets Heaton's spot, we then need the best we can get in those other positions. Couple of prem loans, couple of decent overseas players, the likes of Louie Barry coming through, the players we already have being more comfortable in the championship - plus over £100 mill in player sales income - I think we'll be very competitive. 

46 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Arrgghh man. Was thinking about this the other day when looking at the league table. We would be as good as safe and they would be as good as down if we had got the better of them this season.

I know you can can pick out any game or combination of games and say what if, but Bournemouth doing the double over us seems particularly painful.

Yeah there's two main reasons why we are where we are. One is in the first 10 games when we were both a new team and playing well so in a good position to catch teams cold, we got absolutely f all points that our performances warranted. The second is being turned over by a pathetic team like Bournemouth twice. 

On 06/04/2020 at 10:37, nick76 said:

Unfortunately probably very little.  $500m for a global pandemic is virtually nothing. 

I agree spending $500 million for a political fight and should've been spent on better things (although arguably getting Trump out of office might be a better long term benefit for the world than any money) but in a Global Pandemic is very little. 

Any money savings lives is worthwhile even if it just saved one life.  It's us as humans with social distancing and staying in that will prevent more deaths than anything.....we've all seen the extrapolation graphs if one person doesnt adhere to it and spreads by multiples.  That's when the money comes into it with PPE, ventilators and beds but it's us as humans, no money involved, staying put in our homes that is more valuable than money.

Doesn't have to be global, imagine if he bought ventilators with that money and distributed them to the hospitals in his home state. 

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If you’d have seen us in 1980 you’d have said the same. 

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If you’d have seen us in 1980 you’d have said the same. 

If we lose Grealish around 8th and 9th is where we should expect to finish in the Championship in my opinion.

I think we are a very average side without Jack.

If we were relegated and I for one don't think that many people (other than us) would shed too many tears if we were.

My aim would be top 2 or top 6, as a minimum. I do however, accept that we would again be a target for EFL clubs and it would be a real challenge to bounce back at the first time of asking.  

Sadly quite a few of our players might not want to go down with us, having has a taste of the PL and with an eye on future international call-ups. We might therefore be starting with a much weakened squad and another re-building job. I would anticipate Jack, Tyrone and John would be in great demand in the next window and could see Heaton, Luiz, Wesley, Marvelous, El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Samatta, also potentially leaving. 

Let's stay up then! 🤞

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we lose Grealish around 8th and 9th is where we should expect to finish in the Championship in my opinion.

I think we are a very average side without Jack.

Not sure you appreciate the gulf in quality between PL and the Championship

6 minutes ago, John said:

If we were relegated and I for one don't think that many people (other than us) would shed too many tears if we were.

My aim would be top 2 or top 6, as a minimum. I do however, accept that we would again be a target for EFL clubs and it would be a real challenge to bounce back at the first time of asking.  

Sadly quite a few of our players might not want to go down with us, having has a taste of the PL and with an eye on future international call-ups. We might therefore be starting with a much weakened squad and another re-building job. I would anticipate Jack, Tyrone and John would be in great demand in the next window and could see Heaton, Luiz, Wesley, Marvelous, El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Samatta, also potentially leaving. 

Let's stay up then! 🤞

Difference being would teams be willing to pay the prices those players would cost because we don’t need to sell.  I’m assuming not!