Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Those who think we will walk the league without jack are optimistic at least!

90% of our attack goes through him!

I think it would be pointless speculating on how we'd do without Jack in the Championship next season - we'd most likely be without Jack, Mings, McGinn, Targett and three or four others - the question would be how we'd do with a rag tag assortment of leftovers and £200m to spend. 

• Like 1

So league set to restart on June 6th.

4 games a day on Wembley stadium if needed and St George's Park used as a training facility.

Don't have The Times but this is the ingress.

Plan to use Wembley for season finish

The FA has offered the use of Wembley Stadium and St George’s Park as neutral venues to help finish the Premier League season.

The favoured plan is for league matches to be played behind closed doors when competitions resume to reduce the spread of coronavirus. The FA has offered Wembley and its national football centre, in Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, as venues to potentially host several matches played on the same day in an effort to complete the fixtures as soon as possible and keep travelling between venues for players, officials and media to a minimum.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/plan-to-use-wembley-for-season-finish-nlpw6xlnj

That all sounds do-able - but boy it's tight! (Keneth Williams GIF here). I make that continuous fixtures at 4 per day, for 27 days to complete the season before the contracts all end. Credit given for the fair playing field, no moans there, but this will need government to lift the 2 meter rule, or at least suspend it for the games - I can see them doing that to be honest...

We would surely hold the record for matches played at Wemberlee the last three years if this happens....

Edited by Jareth

2 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Based on your earlier post that means you think Jack adds 1 place to our position?

If we lose grealish we would have a lot to spend  hopefully we would spend it more wisely than when we last went down. 

This is the absolute key. 

Need to ensure we sign more McGinns and no McCormacks or Hogan's. 

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it would be pointless speculating on how we'd do without Jack in the Championship next season - we'd most likely be without Jack, Mings, McGinn, Targett and three or four others - the question would be how we'd do with a rag tag assortment of leftovers and £200m to spend. 

I would hope we could persuade as many as possible to stay for 1 season with a view to getting promoted at the first go.

Granted grealish would be difficult to keep, but If I were the owners I would be tempted to say "you have a contract, you are staying for 1 season at least", to the others.

Could make an arguement that it might be worth selling grealish to reinvest IF it's good money and IF we buy well.

IF IF IF....

Could it be counter productive to tell players they are staying?, maybe, dunno, but I would also have concerns about who we would buy even if we had 200m to spend....

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Will the lower leagues be allowed play at Wembley and Georges Park as well or does nobody care about them

Nah, this is purely a money thing so that the PL won't have to give back all that TV-money.

Looking out for #1.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Why not Google it.You will see that since this pandemic started we have a total of 6 deaths in the whole of Western Australia, and 3 of them are crew members from a cruise ship docked in Fremantle harbour. 

200.gif

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I would also have concerns about who we would buy even if we had 200m to spend....

Agreed and that would also be dependant on what players of the calibre required, we would be able to attract as a Championship club. Let's stay up, it's a lot better option for us.  :thumb:

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Will the lower leagues be allowed play at Wembley and Georges Park as well or does nobody care about them

I think we know the answer for that one.

I guess the FA will reason by completing the Premier League they might be able to persuade the clubs to give some of the TV money to League one and two sides to prevent them going out of business.

Its a small hope.

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

I believe you, i was just making a silly joke/pun. was surprised to see a ferrit related testing theory on a prem league thread, but i think the UK could use all the help they can get against this virus.

It is in the PL thread because I eas saying that they are testing this cure on ferrits for 2 months,then if all goes well for a further 6 months on a select group of humans.So my point was/is the earliest the PL could start is 8/10 months,allowing for packaging and distrabution and a whole lot of other stuff.

No offence taken 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

And on the flip side they sold Luiz Suarez and replaced him with Borini, Balotelli and Rickie Lambert. Rodgers got sacked six months later.

Replacing Suarez with Rickie Lambert was beyond stupid.

Edited by villalad21

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Plus how bad will those pitches be after all those games. PL players are used to almost perfect pitches not the bogs of a Sunday league football.  No way this will pass mustard especially for the bigger teams that like to play passing football. 

Yes, that makes a nonsense of the whole idea.  50 odd games on the same pitch in 30 days.  It would look like a 1950's Scunthorpe pitch after a wet winter. 

It makes no sense to play all of the remaining games at Wembley. As @nick76 says that amount of games played over such a short period of time would ruin the playing surface. The time in between games would not be enough to repair the pitch satisfactorily.

Also, why should it be a neutral venue? That takes away our advantage of more home games left than away. Unless they are going to reset the points total as well to make a new mini league, I don’t see why we should accept that.

It all sounds like a load of newspaper made up rubbish to me!

It's not really fair on us or likely some of the other teams, but it's better than us just being automatically relegated by virtue of the fact that we're currently in the bottom three which I think is the more likely alternative scenario if the season can't be completed.

• Like 1