Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

It’s grossly irresponsible to force teams to travel across the country to play fixtures in one stadium. Hotels will be overcrowded (if not already closed or prioritised). It’s blue sky thinking. How will they guarantee health workers availability to be on standby? Football is very low on the hierarchy of needs. Doctors shouldn’t be pulled away just to oversee this. 

Forcing games over such a short period of time favours the bigger clubs who can afford larger squads will be fine. One injury to our squad could cost us dead. This isn’t fair and competitive. We aren’t the only club with this problem outside of the bubble of the Sky 4. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, that makes a nonsense of the whole idea.  50 odd games on the same pitch in 30 days.  It would look like a 1950's Scunthorpe pitch after a wet winter. 

can remember the baseball ground in the 70s. Proper mud baths. Penalty spot had to be repainted before a penalty could be taken. Wembley wont be like that in the summer though. It would just be like the center court at Wimbledon on finals day

One thing that the Premier league are being totally negligent with is contracts and transfers. Football to be allowed to continue yet the rest of the country in lockdown? What about players not just moving clubs but their whole families moving homes, kids new schools, moving country despite flights in lockdown. It's totally greed-led and irresponsible to not just players safety but the safety of their families. I can see alot of players being advised to refused to commence playing until the government have eased things in a national collective.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It would just be like the center court at Wimbledon on finals day

22 sets of studs is going to cause way more damage than a couple of pairs of flat bottom tennis shoes with spikes.  No way would a single pitch stand up to that much wear and tear. 

• Like 1

It will take one high-profile footballer to refuse to play on health grounds because they are concerned about the wellbeing of themselves or others. Will they risk fines? I think some players will stand up. The PFA are toothless under the current management. It’s unsafe to force players to play when the governmental advice hasn’t changed. 

29 minutes ago, PaulC said:

can remember the baseball ground in the 70s. Proper mud baths. Penalty spot had to be repainted before a penalty could be taken. Wembley wont be like that in the summer though. It would just be like the center court at Wimbledon on finals day

After all those games...you’re in cloud cuckoo land if you think that even the Wembley pitch won’t be cut up beyond playable

Depends on the weather, look at it after the Nfl autumn games

We get a shit summer full of rain and it won't cope

why Wembley? St George's yeah I can understand, central with lots of pitches and facilities but then what's Wembley got that the west / east Midlands haven't? ££££££££ that's what

roy hodgson has said the preferance from all prem teams is to finish the season, rather than some automated means of deciding the table. sounds like those are the only 2 options being consdidered and just finishing the season with no relegaions and liverpool champions doesn't appear to be one of them.

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think you're underrating it or overrating the championship

We've played some OK stuff at times this season (don't get me wrong we've been utter **** wank at times too) but had big problems with the midfield and with confidence, if we were to drop down and get the right midfielder we would instantly be better (I think the club know this hence the Drinkwater signing but he aint it) and the confidence should come naturally with Nakamba and Luiz being here another year and the drop in level

If we went down we can't do what we did last time in terms of the age of the players we look to sign, gayle for example is a massive no for me, 29, not good enough for the PL, him on a 3 year deal shows we've learnt nothing as a club, I do however think an older more experienced CM is more likely, don't know who that is mind, a Gareth Barry type player who seems ageless, if we do splurge it should be on the likes of eze or maybe even test Norwich over cantwell if we sell jack

I cant see Douglas Luiz playing for us in the championship. I dont rate him particularly, but I think he would try to move on.

26 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

roy hodgson has said the preferance from all prem teams is to finish the season, rather than some automated means of deciding the table. sounds like those are the only 2 options being consdidered and just finishing the season with no relegaions and liverpool champions doesn't appear to be one of them.

Will Roy Hodgson even be allowed out to attend the games?

He must be in the at-risk group due to age.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Will Roy Hodgson even be allowed out to attend the games?

He must be in the at-risk group due to age.

Exactly, how will the PL get around that I wonder. Government advice will keep social distancing measures for over 70's up until the end of the year.

Incidentally I wonder how many clubs have coaches and key backroom staff say over 65, this is a big issue too.

Damn you PL, money-grabbers are influencing FIFA on this too I bet!

• Like 1

if they are in a position to test players and staff by May or June i guess they can return to training (Italy are proposing to do this in May) and then play games without crowds, presume you can get non-NHS medical staff and private security details as there would be a scandal if they took police and NHS staff away from managing the current crisis.

I don't know if that is what will happen but I am sure that is probably what they are considering.

17 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

if they are in a position to test players and staff by May or June i guess they can return to training (Italy are proposing to do this in May) and then play games without crowds, presume you can get non-NHS medical staff and private security details as there would be a scandal if they took police and NHS staff away from managing the current crisis.

I don't know if that is what will happen but I am sure that is probably what they are considering.

The Bundesliga have said they will do 1000 tests every 3 days on players before games can take place, testing is more common in Germany. In the UK it seems a lack of testing on the general public but the Premier League using all these tests will be a big **** you to the people

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The Bundesliga have said they will do 1000 tests every 3 days on players before games can take place, testing is more common in Germany. In the UK it seems a lack of testing on the general public but the Premier League using all these tests will be a big **** you to the people

yes that will be a big issue, although i'm sure they will be hoping 'giving football back to the people' will stop any such back lash.

not saying i agree with that.

Edited by VillanousOne

14 minutes ago, Jareth said:

There is a huge national cultural reason to get the prem going again - it'll happen. 

And pubs, concerts, festivals, church going.....

it’ll never happen anytime soon

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

And pubs, concerts, festivals, church going.....

it’ll never happen anytime soon

They involve mass crowds - prem league at wemberlee behind closed doors? Different risk, high value. 

Germanys lockdown should be ending on the 19th (Sunday) so theoretically I'm back in the office Monday, language school Monday night and football training next Wednesday night

9 games left, 9 weeks, normal weekend fixtures puts them finishing before end of June and the contract problems kicking in

That extra month in lockdown for the uk, Spain, Italy, maybe France will make a hell of a difference