Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, useless said:

In Scotland I think they're working it out by average points per game, If they decided to settle the final Premier league table using the same criteria then we would still remain in the bottom three.

And so we'll go down, if it's decided on average points per game. I can really see that happening, especially if that happens soon in the Belgian league. Apparently a 'working group' in Belgium are going to consider what to do about relegation and make a decision. So I'm waiting to see what happens there, in the coming weeks/months.

On the pay cut thing 

Chester did an interview with the athletic, he's said that all the players have been asked to message mings with what percentage of their wage they'd be happy to hand over to the NHS charities which he is then passing on to the club

Before anyone jumps in with some grealish captain stuff it's worth remembering mings already runs his own charity so common sense says let him take charge of this too not Jack 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robby b said:

And so we'll go down, if it's decided on average points per game. I can really see that happening, especially if that happens soon in the Belgian league. Apparently a 'working group' in Belgium are going to consider what to do about relegation and make a decision. So I'm waiting to see what happens there, in the coming weeks/months.

Surely our game in hand would need to be on average points earned at home? Does that make a difference? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it would put us on 26.

I just don't see them doing this. 

I still think legally its safer to deny someone something they've not yet earned than to punish someone for something they've not yet failed at. 

• Like 3

One of leading experts In infectious diseases in the USA, working for their government taskforce said this

Dr. Fauci: "I would hope that by November, we would have things under such control that we could have a real degree of normality."

Given where we are compared to the US in terms of peak of this virus, there is no way we are seeing football in any normal fashion by early summer.  

If they were to base the table on points per game averages, then the only difference that would make to the table is that Sheffield United would move above Wolves and Arsenal would move above Tottenham Hotspurs, everyone else would stay in the exact same position.

I still think doing it like that is unfair on us though, because we're still disadvantaged by the fact that we've played a game less than everyone else because if we had have played that extra game and won it then our points per game average would be enough to see us safe , and by the same token if we were above the relegation zone with a slightly better points per game average than those below us and with a game in hand, that wouldn't be fair on those teams below us because if were to play that game and lose it then we'd have a worse points per average, it can only be fair when everyone has played the same amount of games, and even then of course it's not fair if everyone hasn't played the same teams.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Surely our game in hand would need to be on average points earned at home? Does that make a difference? 

If you were pools panelling it you'd give us at the very best a draw. More likely a defeat considering Sheffield United have only lost two away games all season and that was at Man. City and Liverpool over the xmas period.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Ive always believed it’s wrong to wipe out the entire seasons results otherwise what was the point of it all. 

That's the point. Your not wiping out the entire seasons results, your wiping out an incomplete seasons results because the entire season cannot be played. 

Just now, sidcow said:

That's the point. Your not wiping out the entire seasons results, your wiping out an incomplete seasons results because the entire season cannot be played. 

28/29 games is a lot to erase. 

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The legal challenge wording would depend on the wording of the membership / contract whatever it is we have with the PL, it would have to be a contract breach

If for example it says "if at the end of the season your club is in the relegation zone then you will relegated to the EFL" 

At the front of the contract there will be a definition of the terms relegation zone, relegated, EFL and most importantly a definition of the word season, of that definition is 38 games play other twice then relegation after 29 games would be a breach of contract 

Its not talked about but I'm surprised there isn't a clause for suspension and termination, not necessarily for deadly viruses but for war, you would then apply the theory of that clause to this scenario

Not sure why one of the big media outlets hasn't obtained a PL contract via their magical sources and employed their own legal team to explain it

The Premier League rules are freely available to view online.  In fact I have just had a flick through it.

The relegation places are defined as those bottom 3 at the end of the season.  A season is not specifically defined but the rules do say that each team will play each other twice - home and away during the season.  I think legally it would be pretty easy to argue the season is not completed till each team have played each other twice. 

I can't see any rule about what happens if the season cannot be finished.  I guarantee next year's rules will! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

One of leading experts In infectious diseases in the USA, working for their government taskforce said this

Dr. Fauci: "I would hope that by November, we would have things under such control that we could have a real degree of normality."

Given where we are compared to the US in terms of peak of this virus, there is no way we are seeing football in any normal fashion by early summer.  

If he’s right then the world economy is screwed.  I think USA and Britain and are the two regions that will suffer the worst because of the half hearted attitude we have both shown 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

9/10 games is a lot to discount.  1/3 in fact. 

Too right!, we were aiming for the top of the league, it was a realistic target too.

(If we turn the table upside down.....)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If you compare this to the amount of lives lost it means absolutely nothing and the sooner people wake up the better.

Of course so what is the point. Void don’t void, stay up go down. None of it matters 

You could say football and a lot of things don't matter relative to people losing their lives at anytime, but people are still going to talk about it, just like they will in this current pandemic. For some it will be a welcome distraction from all the constant news about the virus, doesn't mean to say they need to wake up, I'm sure everyone is only too aware of what's going on but it's probably not very healthy if that's the only thing on your mind. And that's not me playing the situation down, I never said anything like that.

• Like 1

There could be a lesson in all this for the future: don’t be so shit that you’re ever in the bottom three because if the season were to suddenly end because of a global pandemic, you’ll be relegated.

If we hadn’t been so shit for almost three quarters of the season then we wouldn’t find ourselves in this position, but as it happens, here we are.

If we get relegated then so be it. 

Haha yes we are shit and don't deserve to be in this league, it was a fluke we got promoted in the first place.

This season has been awful for Villa fans, I realise how much football is of little importance in times like this...however there is still a pull and a commitment that I can't seem to shake.