Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Allegedly mainly Liverpool fans/legal experts, the league table can be final after 75 percent of games. Our game in hand means we are just below 75 percent

Yeah thats what I mean, if such a clause existed then surely one of the media outlets would have that information

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The legal challenge wording would depend on the wording of the membership / contract whatever it is we have with the PL, it would have to be a contract breach

If for example it says "if at the end of the season your club is in the relegation zone then you will relegated to the EFL" 

At the front of the contract there will be a definition of the terms relegation zone, relegated, EFL and most importantly a definition of the word season, of that definition is 38 games play other twice then relegation after 29 games would be a breach of contract 

Its not talked about but I'm surprised there isn't a clause for suspension and termination, not necessarily for deadly viruses but for war, you would then apply the theory of that clause to this scenario

Not sure why one of the big media outlets hasn't obtained a PL contract via their magical sources and employed their own legal team to explain it

Well explained mate and this would all make sense. If this is the case, I can imagine there would, indeed, be an emergency suspension clause and I can’t imagine such a gaping hole would exist in such an important & high value contract. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

18 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

In my opinion this season should be voided, and the focus of salvaging next season should be the aim. 

I agree. Next season is already in danger. Hopefully they understand it soon.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony said:

Latest news saying lockdown to remain till the end of May, and from that point they will start opening stuff up in reverse order, schools first etc. 

It also says that potential poverty impact from the economy being in lockdown could end up creating more deaths than were currently saving. 

It seems given most information that it is very likely the season will be finished behind closed doors, starting some time in June. Unless this lasted till start of August, a voiding of the season is looking highly unlikely. 

As others have said already, they simply won't be able to justify pulling emergency service workers off the front-lines to be on standby for football matches.

The season WILL have to be void.Here in Australia they are testing a cure for COVID19 on Ferrits for the next 2 months, then if all goes well they are going to test on a select group of humans for 6 months.So, you are looking at a mininum of 8 months and that takes you into December at the earliest.Does not leave much time to finish this season and start the next one,does it ? 

21 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

The season WILL have to be void.Here in Australia they are testing a cure for COVID19 on Ferrits for the next 2 months, then if all goes well they are going to test on a select group of humans for 6 months.So, you are looking at a mininum of 8 months and that takes you into December at the earliest.Does not leave much time to finish this season and start the next one,does it ? 

Life will have to resume in some way before a reliable vaccine is created and distibuted, it's simply not realistic to lockdown fully for a year although of course many restrictions will have to remain in place and that will include sporting events.

Way I see it, next season will be massively disrupted aswell. I can't see any full stadiums this year and even early part of next year (basically under vaccine is around or vast majority of population has had covid).

Would rather get this season done whenever then start next season and then have to stop it after 10 games when winter hits and everything goes crazy again.

Just think if we had lockdown in December. You'd lose about 10 games with all the fixtures in that month so next to no chance you could finish a season on time in that situation.

Funnily enough, having a world cup starting in November will probably prove to be a good decision in the long run.

28 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

The season WILL have to be void.Here in Australia they are testing a cure for COVID19 on Ferrits for the next 2 months

I want to know more about these brave ferrits. 

• Haha 1

If the season's 'voided' I'm not sure it will be the 'get out of jail card' that many think, more than likely they'll just relegate the bottom three and bring up the top three from the championship. They're having a vote over a similar proposal in Scotland and ten of the sixteen clubs in their premier league have voted in favour of it, they just need Dundee to agree to it now, they originally said they were going to vote against it because it would mean them missing out on promotion to Dundee United, but they failed to vote beore the deadline and there's talk of them being 'leaned on'.

6 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

No one life is worth risking over any game of football. Read in the telegraph about people in South Korea beating covid and have tested positive again which is pretty damn worrying. The season has to be voided; wouldnt surprise me if next season couldnt even begin either.

1. Careful with the Telegraph, it will harm your health in the long term.
2. The reports about people getting it again in Japan and South Korea are bad journalism as their sources are scientific papers where they say that it could be the result of a "false negative" prior to the positive test, meaning that the margin for error on the test could mean that there is a negative followed by a positive when really it's just been positive all along.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

If the season's 'voided' I'm not sure it will be the 'get out of jail card' that many think, more than likely they'll just relegate the bottom three and bring up the top three from the championship. They're having a vote over a similar proposal in Scotland and ten of the sixteen clubs in their premier league have voted in favour of it, they just need Dundee to agree to it now, they originally said they were going to vote against it because it would mean them missing out on promotion to Dundee United, but they failed to vote beore the deadline and there's talk of them being 'leaned on'.

But we have a game in hand...

• Like 1

In Scotland I think they're working it out by average points per game, If they decided to settle the final Premier league table using the same criteria then we would still remain in the bottom three.

Edited by useless

Then there is the issue of financial viability. Burnley have stated that they will go under by August unless income resumes ie matches/Sky money and I am sure they will not be the only club in that position. I wager Villa with big money owners will prop us up so my point is if the Premiership has 2-3 or more bankrupt clubs what effect would this have on the proposed clean break - and what if half of the Championship also go bust- all not as black and white as it seems

1 hour ago, useless said:

In Scotland I think they're working it out by average points per game, If they decided to settle the final Premier league table using the same criteria then we would still remain in the bottom three.

Currently our PPG is 0.89, compared with west ham, watford and bournemouths 0.93. We have played a game less

We win thay game in hand, our PPG becomes 0.96, meaning survival.

If we were going to play that game in hand then there would be no requirement to work out the final places based on points per game, it would just be worked out on total points like normal, the reason it's being worked out points per game in Scotland is because Rangers and Saint Johnstone have played a game less than everyone else, which is the same situation we and a few other premier league teams are in. To survive we either need the season to be voided entirely without any relegation, which I can't see happening at all, or for the games to be played when it's safe to do so in which case we'd just have to earn the right to stay up, or a scenario where the season is voided but teams with games in hand are allowed to play those games to decide their final points total.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, useless said:

If we were going to play that game in hand then there would be no requirement to work out the final places based on points per game, it would just be worked out on total points like normal, the reason it's being worked out points per game in Scotland is because Rangers and Saint Johnstone have played a game less than everyone else, which is the same situation we and a few other premier league teams are in. To survive we either need the season to be voided entirely without any relegation, which I can't see happening at all, or for the games to be played when it's safe to do so in which case we'd just have to earn the right to stay up, or a scenario where the season is voided but teams with games in hand are allowed to play those games to decide their final points total.

Rangers can't move anywhere and St Johnstone win brings them up one position and has no impact on relegation or Europe 

Doesn't just affect teams in the Scottish premier league, the proposal is that all the leagues in Scotland will be decided using the same criteria, so whilst Rangers and Saint Johnstone not having played their game in hand might not affect them, that won't be the case for some teams further down the leagues, Partick Thistle who are bottom of the championship have a game in hand which if they were to win would lift them out of the relegation zone.

31 minutes ago, useless said:

So those wanting the season voided should be wanting the season to finish.

Ive always believed it’s wrong to wipe out the entire seasons results otherwise what was the point of it all. 

If we stay up I want us to stay up fair and square. Before the league suspension we were in free-fall. If we can finish it we have a much better chance of staying up than before. Otherwise based on ppg we deserve to be relegated 

I think those that want it voided want it voided meaning that the season is cancelled entirely with no relegation, but unfortunately for us I think they're much more likely to find a way of settling relegation than just ending the season as if the 29 games already played never happened. I think they're hoping to finish it off with games behind closed doors, which would still be unfair on us as we'd lose home advantage, but that would be fairer than just relegating us based on our points per game average, it would at least give us a chance, would be nice to stay up that way, but I wouldn't complain if they did decided to just null and void the whole thing.