Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

it was a fluke we got promoted in the first place.

It wasn't a fluke.

We had the best starting eleven in the league. Had players like Mings, Tuanzebe, McGinn, Jack and Abraham. No one could compete with that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

There could be a lesson in all this for the future: don’t be so shit that you’re ever in the bottom three because if the season were to suddenly end because of a global pandemic, you’ll be relegated.

If we hadn’t been so shit for almost three quarters of the season then we wouldn’t find ourselves in this position, but as it happens, here we are.

If we get relegated then so be it. 

Lesson part 2, don't also be good in the league cup and get to a final at the same time because you'll have played a game less by the time the pandemic happens. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It wasn't a fluke.

We had the best starting eleven in the league. Had players like Mings, Tuanzebe, McGinn, Jack and Abraham. No one could compete with that.

Except the 4 teams that finished above us, not including 26 games we didn't win

• Like 2

I don't think it was a fluke that we were promoted, you can't fluke a ten game winning run, but it's not as simple as naming our players and saying that no one could compete with them, Grealish and Tuanzebe were both out for three months at the same time, Mings didn't join until January 31st, for more than half of the season we hardly had a defence and were having to play Nyland in goal despite him making a lot of mistakes because we had no one else. I even remember people moaning about Abraham despite his goals as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

I just don't see them doing this. 

I still think legally its safer to deny someone something they've not yet earned than to punish someone for something they've not yet failed at. 

This. 

Given the financial impact of relegation you simply can't relegate a club that hasn't yet failed, especially a club that has played one less game than their competitors. 

West Brom -  "Could" have won promotion 

Villa - Have been relegated on a assumption they would not have won the game in hand. 

I think given the 2 situations most law men/women would prefer to represent Villa over West Brom/Leeds. 

8 minutes ago, av1 said:

I think given the 2 situations most law men/women would prefer to represent Villa over West Brom/Leeds

Most “law men”. We need to hire John Wayne and go the full Rooster Cockburn on this. 🤠

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

Lesson part 2, don't also be good in the league cup and get to a final at the same time because you'll have played a game less by the time the pandemic happens. 

I don't know.  If we had lost that game in hand we would be in deep doo doo now.  I think getting to the league cup and having a game in hand is to our advantage. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't know.  If we had lost that game in hand we would be in deep doo doo now.  I think getting to the league cup and having a game in hand is to our advantage. 

Trezeguet might be the true hero after all 😂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jareth said:

I want to know more about these brave ferrits. 

Apparently as far as this virus is concerned ferrits are the best animals to test it on.They are testing one of the ingrediants in the medicine used to treat head lice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Apparently as far as this virus is concerned ferrits are the best animals to test it on.They are testing one of the ingrediants in the medicine used to treat head lice.

Except on Ferrit Bueller as it's his day off.

On the subject of how we were playing in the Championship, we were very good at times but also shockingly awful (relative to our players anyway) for prolonged periods. That does seem to be a bit of a common theme with Smith.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

On the subject of how we were playing in the Championship, we were very good at times but also shockingly awful (relative to our players anyway) for prolonged periods. That does seem to be a bit of a common theme with Smith.

I remember us being a shambles without Grealish.

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I remember us being a shambles without Grealish.

IIRC we had almost all our other best players playing though. Really isn't good enough to completely fall apart just because you're without one player, no matter how good he is.

4 hours ago, Mantis said:

IIRC we had almost all our other best players playing though. Really isn't good enough to completely fall apart just because you're without one player, no matter how good he is.

We did but then I remember midway through the winning run we lost him to an injury just before the home game with Bristol and I was worried it would cost us but we put in a near perfect showing. Very good at home to Liverpool this year too so it can be done. We’re just a really flaky team most the time, need to be much harder to beat.

If we do go down I'm expecting us to do a Newcastle e.g. comfortable top 2 finish.

Not sure what the excuse would be given most of our squad would be used to championship compared to going down in 2016 and we'd get a big windfall from Grealish leaving.

FFP will likely be relaxed in the circumstances aswell.

Only yet another misguided transfer window would deny us. Sign likes of Joe Lolley and Gayle and that should be enough.

• Like 1