Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, no way will they want to lose 40-50 games for the sake of playing 8 or 9.

I have said this before, the TV companies would happily take a new season since no title race. If was like La Liga or Serie A I could see the TV stations put up more of a fight

Edited by Zatman

Yeah sport is good for morale that's all. They could go down the line of restarting the season under closed doors. its possible! To be honest I don't know anymore. I just want  everybody to fo0llow the govts rules, because from my experience theres many people that are either too stupid or just cant be bothered to take it seriously. 

Edited by PaulC

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You can't force people to extend their contracts against their will.  That will never be allowed regardless of the situation.  I expect the see the players union pressing for a void season before long so their members can start seeking new deals and honour those already agreed. 

Sadly the players union is pressing for one thing and once thing only and that's payment in full and no deferment of wages. We have several organisations founded and managed by greed all competing to ensure that they don't suffer at all as a result of this crisis.

This is not sport.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sadly the players union is pressing for one thing and once thing only and that's payment in full and no deferment of wages. We have several organisations founded and managed by greed all competing to ensure that they don't suffer at all as a result of this crisis.

This is not sport.

Pure greed, it's nothing short of despicable and disgusting.

I thought earlier this week about the behaviour of football (FA/PL etc), might just make me rethink my love for the game if all this nonsense carries on.

Its definitely got a feeling of Nero fiddles while Rome burns kind of thing to me, I really think all parties around football need to think very carefully how they act, if they are observed to care more about cash and rights than the welfare of the people who make the game what it is (the fans), they would deserve everything they got.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

Interestingly Football365 have us 11th in the table vs preseason expectations - calculated by adding current points total to the handicap points total the bookies were offering in August. So it’s possible a few of us (including me) were overestimating what we were expected to do this season. 

Unsurprisingly Sheff United are the biggest overachievers and Spurs the most below par.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Interestingly Football365 have us 11th in the table vs preseason expectations - calculated by adding current points total to the handicap points total the bookies were offering in August. So it’s possible a few of us (including me) were overestimating what we were expected to do this season. 

Unsurprisingly Sheff United are the biggest overachievers and Spurs the most below par.

Yep I think a lot of people overrated our chances of making an immediate impact in this league because Wolves did it 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Pure greed, it's nothing short of despicable and disgusting.

I thought earlier this week about the behaviour of football (FA/PL etc), might just make me rethink my love for the game if all this nonsense carries on.

Its definitely got a feeling of Nero fiddles while Rome burns kind of thing to me, I really think all parties around football need to think very carefully how they act, if they are observed to care more about cash and rights than the welfare of the people who make the game what it is (the fans), they would deserve everything they got.

Which would be what?  People have short memories, yes there might be a small backlash but not enough to impact them when things get back to normal.  Football is too deep within our souls and we already hate the greed but this has just amplified It, is it enough to change our ways.....I don’t think so.  I will be watching football in every medium when it’s safely back up and running, and I’m guessing that will be same for most people.

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Which would be what?  People have short memories, yes there might be a small backlash but not enough to impact them when things get back to normal.  Football is too deep within our souls and we already hate the greed but this has just amplified It, is it enough to change our ways.....I don’t think so.  I will be watching football in every medium when it’s safely back up and running, and I’m guessing that will be same for most people.

You are in for a shock if you think football will be the same after this

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

While I think you're mostly right, I doubt football in general would like a PR shitstorm if they break or are close to breaking health guidelines. Fair play is still something that people care about and to relegate clubs or let them qualify for UCL based on 29 games or 29 games, plus 9 played with unfit players behind closed doors.

Should we survive, I still would feel a lot of sympathy for a club relegated if they had to play without key players due to corona, expired contracts or whatever.

Sky hasn't got a licence to just print their own money. They need to sell a product that people actually want. And I very much doubt people want anything except a normal 20/21-season. That includes a preseason, where players actually get up to speed. And it includes a silly season which won't happen if the clubs find out in the middle of July which division and tournaments they should play in three weeks later.

I think a normal preseason will be difficult enough as it is. 

4 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I only found out yesterday that I can pause sky sports and stop paying until the sports returns If you didn't know, Do it on my sky app

Absolutely great stuff from Sky. Best thing is they remove the charge for Skysports yet allow you to keep the channels. And they’ll automatically reset the charge once the action is back up and running. It’s an absolute no brainier. 

Footballers if they had any decency should donate their wages to the NHS or those that are risking their lives trying to save others. 

Nah football can’t be the same again, not for a long time anyway. Maybe many will go straight back to watching live football but there’s many families that will be lost to it. I bet attendances will drop massively and mAny won’t renew their season tickets 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Interestingly, the FA have just cancelled National League Football for the rest of the season. Voided the season with results wiped and no relegations nor promotions.

Now that the precedent is set... ;)

The least bad thing. Others should follow suit. 

• Like 3

It's a matter of time. Like Japan the Premier League are holding out for the sake of holding out in the face of reason, logic and reality. Eventually they will have no option, the writing is on the wall and putting their hands in front of their eyes pretending it's not there won't make it go away. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

The projections on how much Japan will lose I don't blame them

I bet the marketing alone would be an incredible amount of money, will be interesting if they do the same as UEFA and keep it as Tokyo 2020 

I think the PL (and UEFA) have a stigma attached to them that they're killing football due to money and greed, they could shoot themselves in the foot massively if they get this wrong