Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

If you consider the logistics of playing a Premier League football game then it becomes clear why this season can't be restarted at any time during the Coranavirus pandemic.

Even playing behind closed doors is a non starter because it would breach government guidelines. A "behind closed doors game" would involve at least 100 people as a bare minimum. 

Players, coaches, ground staff, medical staff, a skeleton internal stadium staff, TV crews, radio and media reporters (they would have to be televised and reported on or there is no point). Transport and minimal security including police presence to control fans who would be tempted to turn up (with plenty of cans of booze) and congregate outside the stadium when "behind closed doors" games are being played.

I've not covered everything by any means, but enough to demonstrate that these games will not be allowed to take place under present government advice. We can expect public gatherings to be banned, and pubs to be closed as mandatory measures in the very near future.

I believe that the government might have had a quiet word with football bosses to ask them to continue to hold out the prospect of the season being restarted and completed, purely to try to keep public morale higher than it would otherwise be. There are millions of football fans in the UK who are currently hanging on to the hope that this pandemic is manageable enough if we are able to restart football by May. If the PL came out now and voided the season, it would be stark confirmation that we are all in deep shit, and the government wants to keep "a light on at the end of the tunnel" to avoid panic at this moment in time.

In my opinion we are only two to three weeks away from the inevitable "voiding" announcement being made, at a time that suits both the government and the PL. 

I do agree with much of the first half of your post but I think many people are so fixated with an August to May season that they think the season must be voided unless it can be completed without affecting next season. I don’t think that necessarily follows.

So Rugby have cancelled all the remaining season for all leagues except the Premiership. 

That speaks volumes about how money is controlling these decisions. There is no money at any other level so they just take the right decision and bin it.  Surely the decision to play or not to play is exactly the same for every league? That lays the greed bare 

I expect the PL to be the same. Non league footy will be voided soon.  The football league will follow at some point and the PL will be the last to bend to the inevitable. 

• Like 1

Here we go again, Surprise surprise yet another TV pundit attempting to give his club an advantage by spouting off some ridiculous idea which disadvantages their rivals.

This time Gary Neville attempting to put things in Man Utd's favour by suggesting all the clubs play the remaining fixtures over a ridiculously short time frame... even all the games in 9 days at 1 per day if necessary.

Now i wonder who would benefit most from that ridiculous suggestion?

Surely not the clubs with the biggest squads like Man U etc?

We would be completely screwed by that in our current state. Such an unfair suggestion which most likely would see Man U in champs league & he knows it.

CLICK HERE FOR THE STORY IN BM

Can't believe the BM have entitled it "THE BRILLIANT WAY VILLA'S SEASON COULD END" ..... Yeah really?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, punkiller1981 said:

Not a like for like example by any means but English rugby has voided all leagues below the premiership. Still not clear what the premiership will do! Probably exactly the same but I guess the is a bit more money at stake so they might have to give a bit more thought to it 

I guess the Premiership is looking at a way to declare this season null & void, but still relegate Saracens. They are probably almost as motivated to do that, as the PL and pundits are, to hand the title to Liverpool. :rolleyes:  

52 minutes ago, brommy said:

I do agree with much of the first half of your post but I think many people are so fixated with an August to May season that they think the season must be voided unless it can be completed without affecting next season. I don’t think that necessarily follows.

It does when player contracts expire. 

Next season, whenever that is, they can have new rules in place for these situations, especially as next season is likely to be affected too.

Money will talk, unless this season concludes quickly they won’t be able to get TV income for next season. They have to void when we head towards peak by the time the next decision is due. They can then have a shortened season and try get full TV money for next season.

If they only get one season done in 2 years the PL will lose around a billion pounds or whatever the TV contract is worth plus sponsorships whilst still having to pay players.

Whilst this is now extremely low on everyone’s priority, at some stage, in a few months, there will be a clamour to try and get life more back to normal. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

They will soon be worried about if they can properly run next season without worrying about completing this one. 

This. The Premier league is due to start on 8th August this year - that could be a challenge even if we accept no other football between now and then.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, brommy said:

Amendments to contracts are likely to be required - not just in professional football.

You can't hold someone to Ransom. If a player is off he will be off. If a player gets a big offer he will want to take it.  You can't go messing with employment law. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

You can't hold someone to Ransom. If a player is off he will be off. If a player gets a big offer he will want to take it.  You can't go messing with employment law. 

True. Contract amendments will need to be mutual.

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought I’d miss football but I’m actually getting used to life without him. It’s different to pre season because you have the all transfer crap going on along with the anticipation. 

This feels different. It just doesn’t matter anymore. 

To be honest most of it because it’s on Villa side so far. Wether its ethically or logically or even reality. 

But if we were in Liverpool, WBA and Leeds position then we will feel different.

People were saying for a while if we end the season on the time we’re out of bottom 3 then they’ll be happy. So voiding the season for Villa and not playing for a while is on Villa side. 

But if we were to begin a season, and it took longer to begin (with the right preparation before the season) you’ll definitely look forward and miss football by then. 

And ofcourse, the whole situation and other issues around makes you prioritize a lot of things other than football. It affected people social life and even jobs and incomes.

Edited by abdulaziz1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought I’d miss football but I’m actually getting used to life without him. It’s different to pre season because you have the all transfer crap going on along with the anticipation. 

He says, on a Football forum, in the Premier League football thread.;)

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

I do wonder what effect this could have on the sport long term, when people are forced to go the better part of the year with no football. I was already  questioning the value of £40+ tickets  to be made miserable once a fortnight. They must be shitting themselves that people will discover more rewarding hobbies. :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My blood pressure is certainly seeing the benefits.

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Is the transfer window still expected as normal despite the lack of football do we know?