Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont miss it at all and if honest have barely watched a full game all season thats not Villa. Truth is the Premier League is a whole pile of hyped up crap and I know some people thinks its a "lack of ambition" but the Championship was a hell of a lot more fun

Understood, but would you still think the Championship was more fun if we were around the bottom of it?

IMO the only reason some of us think it's "more fun" is because we are/were/would be one of the , if not the biggest club in it, and win alot more games.

I doubt Stoke or Sunderland fans are basking in the "fun" right now for example.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Understood, but would you still think the Championship was more fun if we were around the bottom of it?

IMO the only reason some of us think it's "more fun" is because we are/were/would be one of the , if not the biggest club in it, and win alot more games.

I doubt Stoke or Sunderland fans are basking in the "fun" right now for example.

Nope, we never once dominated the division and maybe never even topped the table down there. The fact is in the Premier League all you can really aim for is to be best of the rest

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

The fact is in the Premier League all you can really aim for is to be best of the rest

Yep

I kind of think fair play to those villa fans who think we will stay up, keep grealish, spend another £150m, rinse and repeat and in 3 years we will be up there... We won't...

What are wolves doing? Competing? No they're not, they're having fun no doubt and doing well but they're not competing they're flirting with it whilst actually doing not a lot and all the while have the chance that neves or nuno get poached by a big team 

The only one you could say are breaking the mould are Leicester who have spent a lot of money over the last 5 years, they have around 10 players who cost over £20m and even then you can say they need to enjoy it while they can because utd, spurs and arsenal won't be shit forever and are more likely to break back in than wolves, Sheffield, Everton or us

The PL is sold as something it's quite definitely not, it's not exciting or competitive and it's also really poor in quality down our end of the table 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Nope, we never once dominated the division and maybe never even topped the table down there. The fact is in the Premier League all you can really aim for is to be best of the rest

Right, but the fact that we are now in the Premier League, would indicate that we won more games than we lost.

Onto the second point, the likes of Leicester, and currently Sheffield United stretch that theory a little.

Obviously those are exceptions, point is, for a club of our stature, I can't find any positives to us being in the Championship aside from some "enjoyment".

I'd much rather aspire to finish in the top 6 - 10 of the PL than to be fighting for a playoff position in the Championship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Right, but the fact that we are now in the Premier League, would indicate that we won more games than we lost.

Onto the second point, the likes of Leicester, and currently Sheffield United stretch that theory a little.

Obviously those are exceptions, point is, for a club of our stature, I can't find any positives to us being in the Championship aside from some "enjoyment".

I'd much rather aspire to finish in the top 6 - 10 of the PL than to be fighting for a playoff position in the Championship.

I’d argue that enjoyment is what football is all about. Why else do we watch?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

I’d argue that enjoyment is what football is all about. Why else do we watch?

This is why there is no wrong or right in the debate. Some people might enjoy the Champ more, some might enjoy the Prem more. I enjoyed different aspects of each for different reasons.

• Like 2

So are they just wanting to complete the Premier League or all English Leagues?

Wonder if we'd have a leg to stand on by disputing playing behind closed doors considering so many of our remaining games are at home. 

Edited by PieFacE

15 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Wonder if we'd have a leg to stand on by disputing playing behind closed doors considering so many of our remaining games are at home. 

It's obviously not ok. 

If they insist on it being completed then whoever ultimately gets relegated will have a reason to moan and probably make a legal challenge, be it behind closed doors, 9 games in 2 weeks, whatever it is it will be trouble

West Ham vs us winner stays up, behind closed doors, 2 days after the previous game, played in July... If West ham go down they're taking it to court make no doubt about it

What we would do is hard to tell, said previously in the NSWE thread at the very least I'd like our owners to rise above Lerner's failings and be very vocal if they think their club has been pissed on by the currently regarded big boys, if villa are this massive club we proudly claim to be then this a big chance to show it 

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yep

I kind of think fair play to those villa fans who think we will stay up, keep grealish, spend another £150m, rinse and repeat and in 3 years we will be up there... We won't...

What are wolves doing? Competing? No they're not, they're having fun no doubt and doing well but they're not competing they're flirting with it whilst actually doing not a lot and all the while have the chance that neves or nuno get poached by a big team 

The only one you could say are breaking the mould are Leicester who have spent a lot of money over the last 5 years, they have around 10 players who cost over £20m and even then you can say they need to enjoy it while they can because utd, spurs and arsenal won't be shit forever and are more likely to break back in than wolves, Sheffield, Everton or us

The PL is sold as something it's quite definitely not, it's not exciting or competitive and it's also really poor in quality down our end of the table 

Maybe but I'm sure Wolves fans are enjoying watching their best team in decades and top class players throughout their team. As much as I'm sure they enjoyed lording it in league one for a season I doubt anyone of them would happily go back to that or a championship season where they might finish 6th or 7th. They're also making a better go of europa league than we did when we were last seriously in it.

Football is all about ups and downs bar 4-5 teams being pretty established. Anyone on here who'd have come on here in April 2010 and said we'd have got relegated within 6 years would've been laughed out of this forum but it happened. Not to say we can't achieve stuff in next six years once it gets up and running properly again.

• Like 1

Didn't the Southampton guy actually say government wants to see football and major sporting events back? Add in one of the reports saying they didn't see much danger in mass gatherings which surprised me.

In reality there is no chance of any football being played close to or in the weeks after the peak finally starts to decrease, too much danger. When it does come back it will be all BCD in any case.

Seems at the moment even people daring to name a date for resumption are getting panned. Obviously league chiefs thinking it can get started in May are deluded but equally I can't believe they'll be no sport played this year. They'll certainly look to get at least 19-20 done in the likely two month gap before a possible second wave of covid 19 hits in winter which will probably cancel 20-21 season.

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

It doesn't matter what the PL/FA want, there will be no football for at least 6 months imo..

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

It doesn't matter what the PL/FA want, there will be no football for at least 6 months imo..

Yeah can really see why you may feel that way. I think they will push for playing BCD , but we shall see.

Can see BCD in late July/August, perhaps even restricted crowds for last few games.

Certainly the normality we took for granted when going to live events is gone for a long time. I always thought a terrorist event would cause this, didn't imagine a virus would wreck the live event experience.

On 21/03/2020 at 17:45, Zatman said:

I dont miss it at all and if honest have barely watched a full game all season thats not Villa. Truth is the Premier League is a whole pile of hyped up crap and I know some people thinks its a "lack of ambition" but the Championship was a hell of a lot more fun

Why do you think the Premier League is a ‘whole pile of hyped up crap?’ Personally, I think it’s the best league in the world where unusually pretty much anyone can beat anyone

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Well yes it wouldn't be fair. We've won one game in every two or three at home so far and one on every seven or eight away.

They cant just say, no more home games.

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Well yes it wouldn't be fair. We've won one game in every two or three at home so far and one on every seven or eight away.

They cant just say, no more home games.

Well, we'd presumably still play at home, just without a crowd there.

50 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think the Premier League is a ‘whole pile of hyped up crap?’ Personally, I think it’s the best league in the world where unusually pretty much anyone can beat anyone

Anyone can beat anyone. What does that mean? As opposed to teams not being able to beat other teams?

Sorry, I've heard people say this before but I've never understood it.