Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

On a lighter note .The team has apparently been training individually and observing social distancing.

Some would argue that our defence has looked like they have been training individually and been observing social distancing on the pitch especially at corners all season.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

possibly the most ridiculous thing I have heard, you do realise the majority of footballers are not millionaires. Players in League 2 are struggling since they mainly get 1 year contracts

Players in league  one get 12k a week, so you think it’s ok for Premier League players to be getting 100k+ a week for sitting at home? Look after the ones that are struggling by all means 

Edited by PaulC

Not up to speed with this thread...I hadn’t really realised the PL was still being debated if I’m honest.

So without the benefit of whatever has been announced or debated I’d have to say Id be utterly amazed if anyone thinks football will reconvene this season. Not a chance in hell, ( in my opinion) and rightly so.

What possible reason could there be for even contemplating it ?

The Season is 100% over in my view, I can’t see a chance in a million that it’s not.

Additionally I see next to no likelihood of next season starting in August. They will have to move it and scrap a lot of stuff.

And even then, who in their right mind would attend football matches unless / until there is a vaccine ?

From a personal point of view I’m going no further than my front doorstep until 2021 !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Couldn’t agree more.

As the number of deaths increase ,the idea of watching football seems ridiculous .The way this country is trying to mobilise help for the health service reminds me what it must have been like during WW2.

I don’t see this being resolved quickly.Until a vaccine is ready or a treatment for the seriously affected this will only get worse.

I don’t expect anything to happen until Christmas at least.

This virus is too contagious to allow any sport to resume.Even if this present lockdown brings cases down ,it’s not going to completely disappear.You just need 1 person to spread it to a group of people and it will start up again.

Agree wholeheartedly, I’m amazed it’s even up for debate.

20 hours ago, turvontour said:

Why are you so keen to get the season finished?

I’m not anymore so much and I do think that if it can’t be started by at the latest August it should be voided.  There’s too many complications. Voiding it is not without its problems. Do all the stats get wiped out as well? Complications over European places and promotion and relegation. Nobody has come up with a perfect solution. Finishing the season if possibly is the best solution still, bit we have much greater priorities than football right now. So let’s wait and see whether we can Control this terrible virus first.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Not up to speed with this thread...I hadn’t really realised the PL was still being debated if I’m honest.

So without the benefit of whatever has been announced or debated I’d have to say Id be utterly amazed if anyone thinks football will reconvene this season. Not a chance in hell, ( in my opinion) and rightly so.

What possible reason could there be for even contemplating it ?

The Season is 100% over in my view, I can’t see a chance in a million that it’s not.

Additionally I see next to no likelihood of next season starting in August. They will have to move it and scrap a lot of stuff.

And even then, who in their right mind would attend football matches unless / until there is a vaccine ?

From a personal point of view I’m going no further than my front doorstep until 2021 !

They have managed to contain it in South Korea. I think it’s possible here but we need everybody to take it more seriously like you are.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They have managed to contain it in South Korea. I think it’s possible here but we need everybody to take it more seriously like you are.

I’m sure we will contain it, and that will be wonderful. And once the Serious Infection rate is lower than the ICU Capacity we can all relax a bit.

But in my view there’s still an enormous leap between that and business as usual. And that leap can only truly be achieved with a vaccine.

For me, that means work and activities that need doing can recommence at the earlier of these two dates, but anything else, no way until the Second. It simply won’t be worth the risk.

Imagine achieving control, then doing something that put us back here !! Not going to happen.

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’m sure we will contain it, and that will be wonderful. And once the Serious Infection rate is lower than the ICU Capacity we can all relax a bit.

But in my view there’s still an enormous leap between that and business as usual. And that leap can only truly be achieved with a vaccine.

For me, that means work and activities that need doing can recommence at the earlier of these two dates, but anything else, no way until the Second. It simply won’t be worth the risk.

Imagine achieving control, then doing something that put us back here !! Not going to happen.

Yes you are right, too serious. 250 more deaths today, this will only increase over the next few weeks, govt took it too lightly in the early days. The only way they can finish this season or start next season this year is to play behind closed doors. 

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They managed to nip it in the bud before it got too out of hand.

Not many other countries has managed to do that. Once it's spreads it's way harder to contain it.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Not many other countries has managed to do that. Once it's spreads it's way harder to contain it.

This. S.Korea and Japan reacted very quickly and got things under control. Meanwhile Europe was diddling and now it's way too late. France, for example, were having elections just 10 days ago ffs. Heads should roll for this kind of negligence. 

7 minutes ago, sne said:

They had previous warnings with Ebola and sars. They were ready and geared up. Enough masks for everybody, tests readily available. Too many lies told here. 

Edited by PaulC

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

No guarantees for things getting better in July

3 months away.  Surely by then the high street stores will open again and  other businesses will reopen but no possibility of allowing crowds into stadiums 

16 hours ago, Elton said:

So you don’t understand my point. That’s fine. I also don’t remember stating my preference for liberty over deaths?

A lot of scientists believe the long term, the costs of economic disaster will be greater than the lives saved (or frankly probably just extended by a few weeks or months in many cases) due to suicide, alcoholism, murder, abuse etc.

We let many people die every year by not locking down free movement for influenza. I’m not stating my preference. I guess your preference is no one on the planet should leave the house every winter or are you happy to accept those avoidable deaths? How many is too many for you?

A lot of influenza deaths aren’t even recorded as such. We are yet to know how much worse Covid 19 is than a typical influenza season. So far in the UK overall deaths are down on the last 5 year average. I expect this will change but how much is to be determined and no one can answer this yet.

A lot of scientists/modellers are starting to question the lockdowns and if they are worthwhile. That’s the point I am raising. I don’t know the answer, I’m just discussing and speculating. I have close family in vulnerable groups Nick, I’m not looking to kill them off. Go and judge someone else.

I wasnt judging you it was a question that society is asking about what is the tipping point between normality and lockdown.  The problem is nobody knows and everybody has different opinions and some people feel opening now is worthwhile which is one extreme to closing down for 3 months totally the other extreme.  It's true so many virus' and other things that kill us, at what point do we get on with life.

I havent heard top scientists saying your second sentence, about that being anytime soon.  Obviously they have mentioned if we were in lockdown for months but so far......probably like you I have been watching different nations scientists speak on the matter.....but havent heard any scientists say that we are at that point in the near future i.e. the next month or so.  The only person I heard say that was Trump and his dumb reopening on April 12th.

I think the difference in my mind is that we understand the flu, we understand deaths by other diseases, we understand car deaths, we understand.......etc etc (well as much as we can).  With this we don't, the assessment that old people and immune diseases were the vunerable....now we are starting to get cases of healthier younger people dying from it.  We still dont fully understand the transmission....we only in the last week found that a case it had lingered for 17 days.  We still dont understand the asymptomatic side of it.  We dont know enough about getting it twice although we only have one case or two.  We could expose, if opened too early, it respreading again because open too early causing longer shutdown.  We still dont have enough PPE or ventilators (most ventilators are on average used for two days, COVID19 uses a ventalitor between 10-20 days, so we dont have enough of them in the country).  Do we continue to risk our NHS workers as when we open their lives become harder and we still dont have enough beds for none COVID19.  Then people going to hospital for none COVID19, do there get risked being around people COVID19 people both who are suffering and who are asymptomatic.

There is just too many unknowns that we know about this COVID19 compared to anything else we have data on like the influenza.

I get the suicide, alcoholism, murder, abuse argument....the economic long terms argument....I just come from the angle of a bit more safety than risk it getting worse, the risk of more death for the sake of a bit more time. 

I think we just take it week by week, day by day and make the best judge then....or the people at the top make the choice.  I just hope it's not about money but about health, but in this day and age we know it will be about money, which is a little scary.

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

They are unbelievable. No **** given for fans or even people tbh.

what happens to teams that might have one, two or many players that have the virus?  are they just classed as injured?  that would cause uproar.  What about players contracts, they could extend expiring contracts but what about players that were looking forward to leaving and dont want to stay.  What about fitness, a preseason given we will have been out for a number of months.  Just a silly idea!!!!!!