Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

35 minutes ago, PaulC said:

And use squad rotation. It’s definately can be done if it’s safe to play football no later than July Imo. If the season is made void I think players should have their wages voided too. I know there’s legal problems with that but it’s what should happen 

possibly the most ridiculous thing I have heard, you do realise the majority of footballers are not millionaires. Players in League 2 are struggling since they mainly get 1 year contracts

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

And use squad rotation. It’s definately can be done if it’s safe to play football no later than July Imo. If the season is made void I think players should have their wages voided too. I know there’s legal problems with that but it’s what should happen 

Unless there is some sort of force majeure clause in their contracts I don't see it

Without actually ever seeing a full version of one I would guess that a Footballers contract is based on a fixed term of employment for a yearly amount which is then paid monthly (and then reported as a weekly wage figure) 

I would lazily guess that there are some clauses linked to termination rather than non payment, the shit thing being that as an asset value (urgh) that will diminish as you go lower down the league, maybe a few contracts being ripped up because of this

But the main thing is the contract won't allow them to be paid less or not paid at all or can it be extended beyond the fixed term without consent 

The clubs can't not pay them or stay beyond the 30th of June if that's the case 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Why are you so keen to get the season finished?

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He's obviously anti Villa

I don’t think so, I think he doesn’t believe that they would allow the season to get voided, and thinks that they have good reasons and way to do that.

However, I don’t think they will do something without looking at the social and players safety. But I really want them to void the whole thing. I don’t think minds will be focused in football, a lot of legal issues, and ofcourse it won’t be the best situation for Aston Villa as we play more home games. 

I don’t really care if they gave Liverpool the title or not, I don’t even care if WBA and Leeds were added to the PL. Even if they wanted SHA to come up let them as long as Villa stays up.

But that doesn’t mean it’s the logical way to happen. I think we’re being relaxed as the right thing is in our side. I’m not sue if we were Liverpool, Leicester, Sheff Utd, Leeds, WBA fans we’d just say football doesn’t matter. Yes there are alot of things more important, but everyone will push for his benefit and I don’t think we can blame them if it wasn’t against something ethically wrong.

I can’t really tell any Liverpool fan that for the sake of humanity sacrifice your league title. They would say just handle it to us, we are not asking to risk people, but we need a fair conclusion.

• Like 1

I think they are fast  coming to the conclusion that either they try and re start this season in  late summer which will massively impact 20-21, or to void the season and start afresh hopefully around September time. 2020-21 has no wiggle room as the euros will now take place in summer 2021. Even if they play behind closed doors I can't see that happening until about August time, which means you will have to shoe horn in about a  quarter of a season plus a full season all before June 2021. Good luck in that.

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t think so, I think he doesn’t believe that they would allow the season to get voided, and thinks that they have good reasons and way to do that.

However, I don’t think they will do something without looking at the social and players safety. But I really want them to void the whole thing. I don’t think minds will be focused in football, a lot of legal issues, and ofcourse it won’t be the best situation for Aston Villa as we play more home games. 

I don’t really care if they gave Liverpool the title or not, I don’t even care if WBA and Leeds were added to the PL. Even if they wanted SHA to come up let them as long as Villa stays up.

But that doesn’t mean it’s the logical way to happen. I think we’re being relaxed as the right thing is in our side. I’m not sue if we were Liverpool, Leicester, Sheff Utd, Leeds, WBA fans we’d just say football doesn’t matter. Yes there are alot of things more important, but everyone will push for his benefit and I don’t think we can blame them if it wasn’t against something ethically wrong.

I can’t really tell any Liverpool fan that for the sake of humanity sacrifice your league title. They would say just handle it to us, we are not asking to risk people, but we need a fair conclusion.

How can you hand over the title to Liverpool when they havent mathematically won anything?

With that logic you can also relegate teams who could still mathematically stay up with the remaining  games to play.

Looking at the current modelling, the peak in the UK now expected around 12 April. Even if the peak extends for a few weeks before tailing off, it’s possible restrictions on general life will be relaxed some time in late April or possibly May. I just can’t see these restrictions going on for much more than a month as it’s not sustainable and the long term costs could outweigh the benefits.

Although even if we can go out again and shops and pubs etc reopens, it’s likely mass gatherings will be amongst the last on the list to get the all clear but it does still allow the possibility of a late May or early June restart, even if behind closed doors.

Much depends on how patient the PL will be. Once we’re in the peak the PL will feel more pressure to void the season. This is preferable to playing behind closed doors, which will disproportionately disadvantage us.

1 hour ago, Elton said:

Looking at the current modelling, the peak in the UK now expected around 12 April. Even if the peak extends for a few weeks before tailing off, it’s possible restrictions on general life will be relaxed some time in late April or possibly May. I just can’t see these restrictions going on for much more than a month as it’s not sustainable and the long term costs could outweigh the benefits.

Although even if we can go out again and shops and pubs etc reopens, it’s likely mass gatherings will be amongst the last on the list to get the all clear but it does still allow the possibility of a late May or early June restart, even if behind closed doors.

Much depends on how patient the PL will be. Once we’re in the peak the PL will feel more pressure to void the season. This is preferable to playing behind closed doors, which will disproportionately disadvantage us.

Even at an early peak of 12th April, general life restrictions back to normal are unlikely anywhere near the end of April or early May, it’s just not realistic.

A leading scientist said the best line to this when some Americans were commenting about opening up over there quicker.....something along the lines that we don’t decide the timeline the virus decides the timeline or the virus doesn’t care about your timeline.

Don't understand your comment that it’s not sustainable and the long term costs could outweigh the benefits?

So letting people die so people can go out and be normal is acceptable to you?

How many deaths per day are acceptable to you that allows people back to normal life?  

Personally, I like my family and friends so my answer is none.  

Lockdown longer now to save lives, just plain selfish to do anything else because things will recover when we do reopen....but people want things now in the modern age....they need to just stop.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Cryptic headline from the BBC.

I'm probably going to get into trouble with Limpid because for the life of me I can't work out how to imbed website stories and I always do something wrong when quoting but I think it means their insistence that the season will be played out is softening. 

Go read it. I can't say anymore 😓

45 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Even at an early peak of 12th April, general life restrictions back to normal are unlikely anywhere near the end of April or early May, it’s just not realistic.

A leading scientist said the best line to this when some Americans were commenting about opening up over there quicker.....something along the lines that we don’t decide the timeline the virus decides the timeline or the virus doesn’t care about your timeline.

Don't understand your comment that it’s not sustainable and the long term costs could outweigh the benefits?

So letting people die so people can go out and be normal is acceptable to you?

How many deaths per day are acceptable to you that allows people back to normal life?  

Personally, I like my family and friends so my answer is none.  

Lockdown longer now to save lives, just plain selfish to do anything else because things will recover when we do reopen....but people want things now in the modern age....they need to just stop.

So you don’t understand my point. That’s fine. I also don’t remember stating my preference for liberty over deaths?

A lot of scientists believe the long term, the costs of economic disaster will be greater than the lives saved (or frankly probably just extended by a few weeks or months in many cases) due to suicide, alcoholism, murder, abuse etc.

We let many people die every year by not locking down free movement for influenza. I’m not stating my preference. I guess your preference is no one on the planet should leave the house every winter or are you happy to accept those avoidable deaths? How many is too many for you?

A lot of influenza deaths aren’t even recorded as such. We are yet to know how much worse Covid 19 is than a typical influenza season. So far in the UK overall deaths are down on the last 5 year average. I expect this will change but how much is to be determined and no one can answer this yet.

A lot of scientists/modellers are starting to question the lockdowns and if they are worthwhile. That’s the point I am raising. I don’t know the answer, I’m just discussing and speculating. I have close family in vulnerable groups Nick, I’m not looking to kill them off. Go and judge someone else.

Edited by Elton

If we assume that taking the season past the end of the contractual year will prove too difficult for leagues because of the legal challenges they'd face on restraint of trade by players, or from the difficulties they'd have with sponsors like the New Balance/Liverpool scenario, or from teams affected by players leaving through contract expiry - then it's a matter of how quickly we'd need to restart to get games in. I think if they attempted to play on after 30th June there would be hundreds of legal cases - football would be in court for years.

So given that the 30th June is a hard deadline - Manchester City would potentially be facing an additional 18 games - I think you'd have to give them 54 days to play those - anything more than a game every three days would just be crazy.

That would give us a deadline to be playing again of 8th May to kick off the season - let's assume the players will need a week to train and get back to some sort of fitness and say we'd need to be active at training grounds by 1st May.

If they can get the season started by then, they've got a chance at it. 

That's 33 days from now with a peak in the virus predicted for two to three weeks time - I don't think they're going to be able to do it - but they've got 762 million reasons to try.

Tonight's statement says that there will be difficult decisions to come - those decisions will be about who they'll be f***ing over in order to ensure the TV money happens - top of that list is fans sadly.

• Like 1

Hasn't that Big Al physio chap only just come off a ventilator? That's just one example, but given a lot of people are yet to catch this thing, all it will take is another member of staff at any premier league club for a game to be called off - wasting loads of money in the process as everyone will be paid but no football played. Surely financially, there is a growing argument for voiding it.

9 hours ago, Elton said:

So you don’t understand my point. That’s fine. I also don’t remember stating my preference for liberty over deaths?

A lot of scientists believe the long term, the costs of economic disaster will be greater than the lives saved (or frankly probably just extended by a few weeks or months in many cases) due to suicide, alcoholism, murder, abuse etc.

We let many people die every year by not locking down free movement for influenza. I’m not stating my preference. I guess your preference is no one on the planet should leave the house every winter or are you happy to accept those avoidable deaths? How many is too many for you?

A lot of influenza deaths aren’t even recorded as such. We are yet to know how much worse Covid 19 is than a typical influenza season. So far in the UK overall deaths are down on the last 5 year average. I expect this will change but how much is to be determined and no one can answer this yet.

A lot of scientists/modellers are starting to question the lockdowns and if they are worthwhile. That’s the point I am raising. I don’t know the answer, I’m just discussing and speculating. I have close family in vulnerable groups Nick, I’m not looking to kill them off. Go and judge someone else.

I think "A lot of scientists" can be replaced with "The odd scientist here and there" 

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think "A lot of scientists" can be replaced with "The odd scientist here and there" 

Yes, that’s often the case though isn’t it until the tide turns. Not saying whose right and wrong as I obviously have no idea. No one really knows the true picture until the mass antibody testing starts.

As much as football might be a helpful distraction in the summer for some if things calm down a bit I think it will cause resentment and anger from a whole lot of people if they are suddenly expected to care about a trivial thing like that while their family and friends have been gravely ill, lost their jobs or even died. 

The patience towards spoiled multi millionaires diving and playacting, feigning injuries will be less than zero from people who's mum might be hooked up to respirator at a nearby hospital.

Trying to kick-start football too soon will not only fail because of the obvious risks to players and people around them, it might also cause long term damage to the game.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

As much as football might be a helpful distraction in the summer for some if things calm down a bit I think it will cause resentment and anger from a whole lot of people if they are suddenly expected to care about a trivial thing like that while their family and friends have been gravely ill, lost their jobs or even died. 

The patience towards spoiled multi millionaires diving and playacting, feigning injuries will be less than zero from people who's mum might be hooked up to respirator at a nearby hospital.

Trying to kick-start football too soon will not only fail because of the obvious risks to players and people around them, it might also cause long term damage to the game.

Couldn’t agree more.

As the number of deaths increase ,the idea of watching football seems ridiculous .The way this country is trying to mobilise help for the health service reminds me what it must have been like during WW2.

I don’t see this being resolved quickly.Until a vaccine is ready or a treatment for the seriously affected this will only get worse.

I don’t expect anything to happen until Christmas at least.

This virus is too contagious to allow any sport to resume.Even if this present lockdown brings cases down ,it’s not going to completely disappear.You just need 1 person to spread it to a group of people and it will start up again.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, PaulC said:

Squad rotation might be an option for clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United, who have a big squad of quality players. It's likely to be less of a viable option, for clubs at the bottom, who will need to aim to win every game they start and who would need to play their best XI, to maximise their chances of getting something from every match.

There's also a likelihood, that clubs in mid table and those like Liverpool, would rest their best players, once they have nothing left to play for. Relegation could therefore be determined by the results of relegation contenders in games played, against teams who are already on the beach. Where would the "integrity" of the PL be then?