Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

20 teams of 25 players, Coaches, Ancillary staff, training facility staff, coach drivers, cooks, hotels, refereees, other officials, media.

With varying amounts of illness laying some low.

Travelling up and down the Country in July.

Not a chance. Sheer lunacy.

Even this, the most incompetent and criminally negligent Government of all time, would step in and prevent that.

• Like 1

Would be interesting to see how the terms of insurance will be stipulated for players and staff if they try and restart the league.

Putting them in a potentially hazardous environment and what not. Would the PFA be OK with it?

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’ve never been more certain of anything than I am that this Season is over 

I’m in agreement. It’ll be months before football can be played again by which time a compromise of sorts will be reached. The least worst scenario is this season to be wiped out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’m not so sure. The cleanest way for the PL is to finish the league. Hopefully by July, it will be safe to play matches without supporters. I can really see this happening.

I’m not that bothered so long as it is safe. I want us to stay up but only on merit. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if this is something that they actually wanted, cause they probably assume the virus is gone by July. Even if that's rather optimistic.

But I'm yet to understand one thing. How will they not get sued their ass off by AVFC and other teams in the same situation, that:

1) has more home matches left than away. That pick up more points home than away. That are just 3 points away from safety. Being forced to play behind closed doors effectively removes a big factor and advantage we got left. An advantage other teams have benefitted from. 

2) That will facing relegation be forced into a situation of selling assets. This asset selling will be akward at best, and at worst impossible to achieve after the season finishes with a July start. Even if you extend the transfer window what club will buy a player knowing he will play X amount of matches for another team after you spend multi millions on him.

I'd love answers to those questions. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I hope you're correct but given the numerous statements about the need to complete the season, I still think they will do everything they can to play the remaining games as soon as possible, even if that's behind closed doors in an attempt to minimise the impact on when the next season can start.

I think they will find a 'work around' the contract issues that, given the extreme circumstances, the vast majority of players will accept.

6 minutes ago, brommy said:

I think they will find a 'work around' the contract issues that, given the extreme circumstances, the vast majority of players will accept.

The problem with this is whether they can work around contract law for a collective. They might have to find a work around for every single player involved individually - and it's not just expiry of contract, it's loyalty bonus's, it's bonus's from sponsors - there are so many contracts out there that have 1st July as a trigger date.

8 minutes ago, brommy said:

I hope you're correct but given the numerous statements about the need to complete the season, I still think they will do everything they can to play the remaining games as soon as possible, even if that's behind closed doors in an attempt to minimise the impact on when the next season can start.

I think that's just posturing.

They are procrastinating and waiting as long as possible to declare the season void. I have no idea what the terms behind the TV-deals are but I'd bet anything that it's those terms that is behind their refusal to void the season.

I think everyone even including the lawyers and money men understand that no one cares about football outside the ones who will lose money. And Liverpool.

And tbh I very much doubt there will be a 20/21 season either.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, brommy said:

I confess I’ve not seen what they’ve said so my views are in ignorance of that, but I remain absolutely convinced it won’t happen.

(I suppose given you’ve said they are desperate there is one way it could be done,  and that’s to wait until such things can happen - nothing like July - and then instead of starting a new season they can start with this one, and follow with a new one minus the Cups.)

But the chance to do that won’t be before next season is due, which is why I can’t see this season continuing...it will simply push the problem into the next one.

In my view.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

They are procrastinating and waiting as long as possible to declare the season void. 

They'll be doing due diligence, there are a million and one ideas floating around and they need to be able to explain (potentially in a room full of lawyers) why they pick the solution they end up picking 

Come the end of it all their statement will include a one liner about trying as hard a spossible to do something else but they just couldn't 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

They are unbelievable. No **** given for fans or even people tbh.

I presume the players are going to leave a 6 feet  space between themselves? That should make the games interesting! Just shows the mercenary nature of the footballing authorities - as long as the money is rolling in, it doesn't matter if the players and the necessary support teams catch the virus. Shame on them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaBrum said:

I presume the players are going to leave a 6 feet  space between themselves? That should make the games interesting! Just shows the mercenary nature of the footballing authorities - as long as the money is rolling in, it doesn't matter if the players and the necessary support teams catch the virus. Shame on them.

We’ve kept 6 feet between our defenders and their attackers pretty much all season. We’re way ahead of the curve on this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, sne said:

They are procrastinating and waiting as long as possible to declare the season void. I have no idea what the terms behind the TV-deals are but I'd bet anything that it's those terms that is behind their refusal to void the season.

I think everyone even including the lawyers and money men understand that no one cares about football outside the ones who will lose money. And Liverpool.

And tbh I very much doubt there will be a 20/21 season either.

My thoughts entirely.

43 minutes ago, sne said:

Would be interesting to see how the terms of insurance will be stipulated for players and staff if they try and restart the league.

Putting them in a potentially hazardous environment and what not. Would the PFA be OK with it?

Players' refusal to compete could stall return of Premier League and EFL

• Footballers concerned about health risks and insurance policies
  • Premier League, EFL and PFA to hold further talks next week

Attempts to resume the Premier League and English Football League seasons after 30 April could be thwarted by players refusing to ­compete because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Premier League, English Football League and ­Professional Footballers’ Association ­ officials held a conference call on Friday to discuss a unilateral response to the threat posed to clubs and players by the crisis, along with the prospect of resuming their seasons “when it is safe and conditions allow”. But even the possibility of playing matches behind closed doors after 30 April appears remote with players concerned about putting their health, and their ­families’ health, at risk by returning to work while the crisis continues.

Players’ representatives are also understood to be exploring whether insurance policies could be declared null and void should their clients contract a potentially career-­threatening illness after playing again while being aware of the risks involved.

The professional leagues and clubs continue to follow government advice regarding the pandemic and playing behind closed doors is one of several contingency measures being discussed. The resumption of the league seasons, future transfer ­windows, player contracts that are due to expire on 30 June and wage deferrals or reductions were the main topics of Friday’s conference call.

No decisions were taken by the three parties – the next Premier League stakeholders’ meeting is scheduled for next Friday, 3 April – but there is recognition that a broad consensus is required to ­prevent several lower league clubs going bankrupt.

A joint statement released on Friday read: “The Premier League, EFL and PFA met today and discussed the growing seriousness of the Covid-19 pandemic. It was stressed that the thoughts of all three organisations continue to be with everyone affected by the virus.

“The Premier League, EFL and PFA agreed that difficult decisions will have to be taken in order to mitigate the economic impact of the current suspension of professional football in England and agreed to work together to arrive at shared solutions. The leagues will not recommence until 30 April at the earliest. They will only do so when it is safe and conditions allow. Further meetings will take place next week with a view to formulating a joint plan to deal with the difficult ­circumstances facing the leagues, their clubs, players, staff and fans.”

Leeds, who are top of the Championship, agreed a wage deferral on Thursday when their manager, ­Marcelo Bielsa, players, coaching staff and club executives reached a deal that will protect the incomes of 272 other employees at Elland Road. Blackburn are in negotiations to follow suit. Wage deferrals must be agreed individually by clubs, rather than being imposed centrally by the EFL.

The Premier League is not facing the same financial pressure as EFL clubs but, while not at the same stage of considering wage deferrals, some members of the lucrative top flight believe they will have to come into play should the season remain suspended for ­several more months.

Fifpro, the world players’ union, has expressed concern that clubs “in more than half a dozen countries” have terminated players’ contracts or reduced salaries since the pandemic began. “At a time of such a significant social crisis, solutions must be found with everybody’s contribution,” the union said in a statement on Friday. “Most football players outside the world’s biggest leagues are earning at the same level or below average domestic income and would be severely affected by salary decreases.”

Manchester United, meanwhile, have reiterated their commitment to completing the current Premier League season but have informed season ticket holders they can expect a pro-rata rebate or refund if matches are played behind closed doors or cancelled. The club “fully supports the collective intent to complete the Premier League, FA Cup and the Uefa club competitions”, it stated on Friday, following reports that a growing number of Premier League clubs want to end the campaign with immediate effect.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/27/players-refusal-to-compete-could-stall-return-of-premier-league-and-efl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm not so sure.

I think they will do absolutely anything that they possibly can to play these games in order to satisfy TV and not miss out on that £762m - it's obvious that the clubs are desperate for this money - they'd play five a side games in Antarctica if TV would agree to pay for it. They are desperately clutching at any and every straw that ensures they get that money - I think that's their aim, pure and simple - starting point number one for every Premier League CEO at the moment is "No matter what else happens, we have to get that money."

Fans, player safety, competition integrity, anything that's happening in the outside world, none of that comes into it.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not so sure.

I think they will do absolutely anything that they possibly can to play these games in order to satisfy TV and not miss out on that £762m - it's obvious that the clubs are desperate for this money - they'd play five a side games in Antarctica if TV would agree to pay for it. They are desperately clutching at any and every straw that ensures they get that money - I think that's their aim, pure and simple - starting point number one for every Premier League CEO at the moment is "No matter what else happens, we have to get that money."

Fans, player safety, competition integrity, anything that's happening in the outside world, none of that comes into it.

No I agree, but I also think they've by now realized there is absolutely 0% chance of it happening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

No I agree, but I also think they've by now realized there is absolutely 0% chance of it happening.

I don't think they\re ready tp accept that - they're trying to come up with a solution that allows for the production of some sort of TV that me, you and a bloke in Korea will pay to watch. 

These times are an excellent example of how what we follow isn't a sport - it's a TV show.

• Like 1

You would have some players, maybe the majority refuse to play. Breathing heavily will mean increased risk of cross contamination between players . 

Until the majority of people have immunity from the virus how can games be played without risk. If they are its the green light for everyone to start playing football from grass roots up.