Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

51 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It has been said before but what would happen if Liverpool play beind closed doors at Anfield needing one more win to lift the title. How many thousands of fans will be milling around the ground?

PSG fans did similar few weeks back and that wasnt even that big of a game

Given that gatherings of no more than two (outside of those in your home) are now forbidden, imagine trying to stop Liverpool fans congregating after such a win across the country. It would cause huge strain.

Football fans will defy and ignore the messages if games are played behind closed doors. Even if you limited streams to paying members, people would still find a way, the FA knows this, and it will put people's lives at risk. Stretch our already stretched emergency services. Not to mention putting footballers, staff, and their families at risk. Perfectly fit individuals in their 20s and 30s have died from exposure to this virus. Do the FA want to be responsible for the death of footballers too? It's a scenario we cannot overlook. Not that their lives mean more, but it's not that far removed from Mike Cashley mandating that his companies are providing an essential service. It's not.

• Like 1

How can training start if only essential journeys are allowed, you cant be in a group unless you're related and football isnt a key profession?

Disclaimer - I know the first two are ok for blues players as they share a bedsit in Small Heath, and are indeed all related.

This season is over. Dont think next season will start on time and in the same way. After all the deaths caused by this virus will you want to stand in a crowd of thousands knowing one cough could infect you with this virus, a mutation of it or the next new virus? 

• Like 2

Sounds like lower down the footballing pyramid below national league may well void the season shortly. Surely this will escalate up the leagues in the next few weeks.

If they have just postponed the biggest sporting event in the world, which was due to start in  late July, how can the premier league expect to complete the season before the 30th of June?

Also you have to consider players safety even behind closed doors. And after about 1-2 months of not training probably it would be unfair to expect them to jump straight back in. And some clubs may return to full training and others not. It would affect the integrity of the game. All in all the season must be voided soon and we all have to hope that there will be enough time to restart and have a reasonably normal 20-21 season imo.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3

i dont think anyone is expecting the season to be completed before june. but i do think it will be completed. the euros hasnt been cancelled, it's been postponed. same as the olympics. i really think the season will be completed at the earliest safe time. whether that's the summer, autumn, or next year. i really think it would be easier to cancel or amend the 20/21 season than just totally void this one.

14 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i dont think anyone is expecting the season to be completed before june. but i do think it will be completed. the euros hasnt been cancelled, it's been postponed. same as the olympics. i really think the season will be completed at the earliest safe time. whether that's the summer, autumn, or next year. i really think it would be easier to cancel or amend the 20/21 season than just totally void this one.

Two points.

1- after 30th June all contracts will roll into the next season across European football. If the season is not completed by then (which I seriously doubt)  then that will cause massive legal issues. Contracts rolled over? Players allowed to move clubs or not? Loan players staying or going back to parent clubs? etc etc.

2-  Yes euros and olympics have not been cancelled but will be all be played in 2021. You can just roll this season to next as that will impact 2020/21 season already without the high possibility that this will not start normally in August. That would affect the TV contracts, sponsorship agreements, new merchandise/shirt sales which I know sounds trite and meaningless in this current time but money talks.

How long is a piece of string....

We surely from a logical point of view can't postpone a season supposed to end in 2020 to 2021, we have to move on focus on the present and with the future in mind. 

This season has gone and the Olympics and Euros hadn't even started so it's easy to postpone.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Two points.

1- after 30th June all contracts will roll into the next season across European football. If the season is not completed by then (which I seriously doubt)  then that will cause massive legal issues. Contracts rolled over? Players allowed to move clubs or not? Loan players staying or going back to parent clubs? etc etc.

2-  Yes euros and olympics have not been cancelled but will be all be played in 2021. You can just roll this season to next as that will impact 2020/21 season already without the high possibility that this will not start normally in August. That would affect the TV contracts, sponsorship agreements, new merchandise/shirt sales which I know sounds trite and meaningless in this current time but money talks.

1. Contracts will be extended to the end of the 19/20 season...whenever that may be. I dont see it being 'massive' in terms of legal logistics. The transfer window will open upon completion of the season...again, whenever that may be.

2. I really think that the cancellation of the 20/21 season would be much easier in terms of TV contracts than the voiding of the 19/20 season midway through

Money does talk, i agree, but i really see no situation where this premiership season is declared null and void. the riots in merseyside that would result (and there genuinely would be) would prevent that alone

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

1. Contracts will be extended to the end of the 19/20 season...whenever that may be. I dont see it being 'massive' in terms of legal logistics. The transfer window will open upon completion of the season...again, whenever that may be.

2. I really think that the cancellation of the 20/21 season would be much easier in terms of TV contracts than the voiding of the 19/20 season midway through

Money does talk, i agree, but i really see no situation where this premiership season is declared null and void. the riots in merseyside that would result (and there genuinely would be) would prevent that alone

Would making the decision to cancel the 20/21 season not cause more financial harm? Genuine question as I don't know the answer but my gut feeling is that cancelling a whole season would cause more financial problems, particularly for those lower down the divisions as they rely on fans much more. 

• Like 1

Olympics and Euros are major international events that will not take place behind closed doors, so maybe not fair to compare. But it gives an indication.

I think the UEL and UCL qualification will solve itself by UEFA adding 1-2 extra rounds of qualifiers to allow teams outside the current top 4 to have a fair chance of qualification. One thing is which clubs will qualify from the Premier League, but football dosen't look likely to restart any time soon in Spain, Italy and Germany either.

If these leagues are voided, then I think it will be easier to do it for the Premier League as well. They will face a lot of pressure if they insist on playing behind closed doors if it isn't in line with whatever health advise that exist at that time.

If leagues below Premier League start to void their seasons, I think at least it decreases the likelyhood of us getting relegated. Who should be promoted from the Championship if their season is voided?

And if that actually happens, why should the Premier League insist of playing close to 200 games behind closed gates just so Liverpool can win the title?

I think the main concern is not having a winner and clubs qualified for UCL.

Ultimatly it's the customer that will decide this. Do those that actually pay want a proper 20/21-season or not. The Premier League will be in a PR shitstorm if they don't follow health guidelines and insist on finishing a season if other major European leagues will be voided.

When it gets closer to summer, people will start more to look forward to the next season. I think the majority would prefer as normal 20/21 season as possible, a silly season and so on rather than having to watch the 19/20 season in July, on telly, being finished with unfit and not motivated players. 

Edited by Silent_Bob
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

You cant force a contract to extend without players and agents agreeing 

The clubs would also need to agree. Many may have allocated wage budgets based on the fact that the loan deals or expired contracts won't be paid after June. Just unilaterally extending all contracts until the season ends could actually damage clubs rather than help them, especially as we currently have no idea how long those extensions would need to be for.

• Like 1

If they insist on finishing this season then  20/21 will in  a  be hugely constrained time period. They would have to sack off all international friendly breaks, make european group stages round robin and single leg matches in the knockouts and probably scrap the league cup, if they want to do a whole season in about two thirds of a normal time.

It'd be incredibly stupid to gather unfit players and make them play some 10 games each every 3 days. Exactly how they expect this to work is beyond me. 

Not that I believe the coronavirus thing will be over in time to ever try pulling it off. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

But there isn't already a Euro 2021 or Olympics 2021 tournament next summer, whereas there is a Premier League 20/21 season due to start in August. Even that starting on time, or indeed being reasonably able to complete on time, is massively optimistic, and that's with this season being voided now, which is clearly the  only sensible option at this point.

9 hours ago, tinker said:

This season is over. Dont think next season will start on time and in the same way. After all the deaths caused by this virus will you want to stand in a crowd of thousands knowing one cough could infect you with this virus, a mutation of it or the next new virus? 

Exactly this:

Id also like to add that if you get infected you could also and up taking back home to loved ones.

11 hours ago, tomav84 said:

So we have to play it out with potentially a completely different squad, without Jack etc? I don't see how they can. 

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

You can't force people to extend their contracts against their will.  That will never be allowed regardless of the situation.  I expect the see the players union pressing for a void season before long so their members can start seeking new deals and honour those already agreed. 

10 hours ago, picicata said:

Would making the decision to cancel the 20/21 season not cause more financial harm? Genuine question as I don't know the answer but my gut feeling is that cancelling a whole season would cause more financial problems, particularly for those lower down the divisions as they rely on fans much more. 

Yes, no way will they want to lose 40-50 games for the sake of playing 8 or 9.

• Like 1