Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

UEFA saying 30th June must mean they've accepted that the contract issue makes playing beyond then very difficult - imagine a big relegation/champions league qualification game between Villa and Man Utd in July - with Jack Grealish making his first appearance for United - it just wouldn't be the same competition.

So, with us having ten games to play, I reckon that gives us a deadline of about five weeks prior to 30th June - if we're not playing by May 23rd I think we're safe.

I would like to think that you are spot on, but I just don't trust the PL not to play games in July or even later. They might also choose to decide relegation, championship and relegation issues, on an incomplete season. As VAR hasn't quite done for us, the powers that be at the PL, might yet have a go at it themselves. The health of the nation, should take priority over playing out the current season to it's conclusion. I'm not over confident that will be demonstrated by the decision, that is eventually made.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Villa are training so are some PL teams. A few others are isolating

Bodymoor Heath closed and training cancelled according to meaning Evil. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Villa are training so are some PL teams. A few others are isolating

I had thought that we were as well, but I think Sky Sports News suggested tonight, that BH is closed.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

UEFA saying 30th June must mean they've accepted that the contract issue makes playing beyond then very difficult - imagine a big relegation/champions league qualification game between Villa and Man Utd in July - with Jack Grealish making his first appearance for United - it just wouldn't be the same competition.

So, with us having ten games to play, I reckon that gives us a deadline of about five weeks prior to 30th June - if we're not playing by May 23rd I think we're safe.

I think players would revolt if there was a suggestion of playing 3 games a week after 2 months of little or no training.  It would be madness physically. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

just to quote myself, Gab Marcotti said UEFA needs to know by July 2nd who will be competing in next years European competitions

I was listening to him on his ESPNFC podcast and seemed like this was the main point he brought up

I think I just heard that the idea is for all of the outstanding games to be played behind closed doors, at neutral grounds and televised live, just now on Talk Drivel. It must have surely been the tail end of a nightmare though, or their normal unfounded sensationalism? Say it ain't so...please! 😬

Edited by John

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Two a week - ten games in five weeks?

Someone was suggesting they would try to get it done even if it meant 3 games pw. 

24 minutes ago, John said:

I think I just heard that the idea is for all of the outstanding games to be played behind closed doors, at neutral grounds and televised live, just now on Talk Drivel. It must have surely been the tail end of a nightmare though, or their normal unfounded sensationalism? Say it ain't so...please! 😬

Anything, ANYTHING said on Talkshyte is purely designed to push people to phone in on their premium rate phone numbers. Premeditated baiting to get people's goat up. 

• Like 2

There are far more clubs with a vested interest in the league being cancelled than it resuming, thus I think PL members will not be too eager to complete the season. The bottom 7 clubs are afraid of relegation. Spurs and Arsenal are worried of missing out on the UCL and EL respectively. Everton don't want Liverpool being crowned champions. Etc.

17 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Seeing this happening now, all their "experts" saying that the league should be finished and it would be ridiculous to null and void it. Without a care in the world about what's actually going on out there.

Remember, they are football 'experts', not health experts. So far I have yet to see or hear a health expert saying we should re-start the football sesason in May.

I hope nobody will play football just because the likes of Gary Neville think it's safe.

I think at best they will play a couple of games so Liverpool can win it. And to be honest, I think they are far more concerned about having a winner than they are about relegations/promotions. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

There are far more clubs with a vested interest in the league being cancelled than it resuming, thus I think PL members will not be too eager to complete the season. The bottom 7 clubs are afraid of relegation. Spurs and Arsenal are worried of missing out on the UCL and EL respectively. Everton don't want Liverpool being crowned champions. Etc.

Problem being will the PL be liable to repay a bunch of TV and advertisement money  to companies across the world that they have already doled out to the clubs?

Could be billions depending on how the contracts look.

What happens if uefa decide to play again early may then grealish comes down with it? Do we have to play without grealish or another game gets cancelled?

Then we have yet again game to squeeze in. What a utter mess

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Two a week - ten games in five weeks?

Uefa have added an international break as well in June plus cups and European games

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What happens if uefa decide to play again early may then grealish comes down with it? Do we have to play without grealish or another game gets cancelled?

Then we have yet again game to squeeze in. What a utter mess

That's why it wont work. As soon as any player gets it his whole club will need to be tested and isolated and games will have to be postponed, again.

Doesn't matter if it's a star player or your 5th choice RB. Players might not be in any serious risk but their families and the people around the club might be.

And unless the PL and other leagues want to gamble with peoples lives I can't see how it will be done. I'm sure they are fine with gambling with peoples lives considering the money involved but if it comes down to it I think maybe the players union might throw a spanner in their works. How would the insurance work?

Edited by sne
Typo
  • Like 2