Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Liverpool are one hell of a team.

I feel dirty typing it and their fans will be even more insufferable now but it’s one of the best, if not the best teams I’ve ever seen.

The way they press high up the pitch and keep the ball is monumental, work rate, energy and quality.

They are the epitome of a high functioning team.

Very true. They're a cracking side. What they do though is the basics well on top of the workrate. They seldom overplay the ball either. 1-2 touch passing, always in the spaces unless it's in to the front 3. They are also a very quick team with pace in all the wide areas from FB to the front. That imo is one of the most important traits a team needs to have in this league. The threat alone is a deterrent for other teams not to fully commit going forward. 

Southampton winning again, coming from behind to beat Leicester. The breakdown we all had after losing against them perhaps looks a little silly in retrospect - they are a very strong team. Don’t think they will be in the mix with us.

Think it’s Newcastle down in danger of dropping.

Edit: just read back and this point is covered in detail over last couple of pages. Sorry!

Edited by Adam2003

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I have the same problem 😂

I'll get you up to speed.

Our boy was too trigger happy to have a dig and pulled a clanger.

Claimed Southampton changed an awful manager this season and that's why their fortunes have changed.

Southampton have obviously not changed manager, and stuck with him.lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

Got to hand it to Southampton. In 18th less than four weeks ago and now 2 points off 7th. Just shows what a good xmas run can do. Their away form is pretty much top 6 so that will need to drop off quickly for them to be dragged back into the mix.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Got to hand it to Southampton. In 18th less than four weeks ago and now 2 points off 7th. Just shows what a good xmas run can do. Their away form is pretty much top 6 so that will need to drop off quickly for them to be dragged back into the mix.

Also shows what sticking with a manager can do. I don’t know what the Southampton fans were saying at the time but if we were losing games like they were the Villa fans would have been screaming Smith out from the roof tops! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

I've thought for a while Wolves seem to be imitating our period between 2007-10. A little better technically but considering how well they're doing they win very few games at home.

Played most of the bottom half at home now yet only won 4 home games  (same as ourselves) and the Man. City game was a bit of a freak with how it all panned out.

Favourite PL story of the day is that “Anti-VAR” t-shirts were on sale outside Selhurst Park.

Then VAR got  Aubameyang sent off. 😛

Let’s hope it was only the Arsenal fans who bought them.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Haha 1

Good set of results for us all in all. Wolves let us down but still only one point for Newcastle. They will get a fair few draws. Not sure how many wins they will get tho. Plenty of teams in the mix. We just need to win a couple of games back to back when we get our easier run. I know that's easy to say. The Brighton game is massive. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Also shows what sticking with a manager can do. I don’t know what the Southampton fans were saying at the time but if we were losing games like they were the Villa fans would have been screaming Smith out from the roof tops! 

I don’t think it’s true even now when Smith has steered us to the brink of the relegation zone that Villa fans are “screaming Smith out from the rooftops”. There may be a few posters on here calling for him to go but that is different from the picture you are painting.

The time to assess his performance will be end of season.

If Bournemouth and Watford draw tomorrow, then we will just need to avoid losing by three or more goals to stay out of the bottom three. If Watford win then we will need to draw with Man CIty, and if Bournemouth win we will need to beat them to stay out of the bottom three. City have dropped nineteen points this season, so it's not impossible to get a result against them, hopefully two good results against Burnley and Leicester will have helped with our confidence after the bad run over Christmas and we can give them a good game.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

If Bournemouth and Watford draw tomorrow, then we will just need to avoid losing by three or more goals to stay out of the bottom three. If Watford win then we will need to draw with Man CIty, and if Bournemouth win we will need to beat them to stay out of the bottom three. City have dropped nineteen points this season, so it's not impossible to get a result against them, hopefully two good results against Burnley and Leicester will have helped with our confidence after the bad run over Christmas and we can give them a good game.

Let's just beat them regardless of what else happens tomorrow. 😎

I honestly don't know how Newcastle have any points at all.

Every time I actually watch them they are absolutely **** crap. Credit to them for getting so many so far.

Bournemouth Watford interesting for us tomorrow, dunno what best result would be. Draw is the sensible one but I think Watford win to continue Bournemouth slide could benefit us. Two grubby 1-0 wins since September for Cherries.

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I don’t think it’s true even now when Smith has steered us to the brink of the relegation zone that Villa fans are “screaming Smith out from the rooftops”. There may be a few posters on here calling for him to go but that is different from the picture you are painting.

The time to assess his performance will be end of season.

I didn’t say they were mate.  I said they would if we had Southamptons start. I would probably be one of them. A 9-0 defeat at home would be hard to stomach. 

Id be surprised if Southampton fans weren't the same. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

16 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Liverpool are one hell of a team.

I feel dirty typing it and their fans will be even more insufferable now but it’s one of the best, if not the best teams I’ve ever seen.

The way they press high up the pitch and keep the ball is monumental, work rate, energy and quality.

They are the epitome of a high functioning team.

When you think of where their players came from, the management team have taken them and turned them into World Champions. 

Robertson from Hull, Van Dijk from Celtic, Gomez from Charlton, Henderson from Sunderland, Wijnaldum from Newcastle, Lallana and Mane from Southampton, Salah from Roma (previously shown the exit door at Chelsea) etc. 

It's not like Liverpool have been taking players from the very best clubs around Europe or England. They've taken good players from less glamorous clubs and made them look unbeatable. 

• Like 2