Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not using Var for such a big game makes no sense to me. 

We have used it twice away at Southampton and away at Brighton in the fa cup - cost us one very good goal as they decided that our players arm was offside - not that an arm can score a goal apparently 

43 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t speak for your on loan players but Mings and Abraham are up there as 2 of the most committed players we have. 

Fair enough our three are as well 

37 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Not to mention that villa are in a stronger position to go up. Derby's best players are loanees who will leave the club at the end of the season. Villa, on the other hand, would still have Grealish, Mcginn , Hourihane, El Ghazi , Hause and possibly Mings. Tammy has also intimated that he might be here next season. That's a good nucleus to take on the Premier league with. 

Our loan players are decent but I am not sure you can say they are our best players but from an outside view I would say Mings has been your best player followed by Abraham in my personal opinion and obviously there are plenty of other decent ones just like us.

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't know what to think this year, interestingly despite the odds, most neutrals I speak with seem to think Derby will win.

I think this largely based on the semi final performances tbh, and for those of us that live around Birmingham (black country in my case) there is also the rivalry aspect to take into account. Baggies, sha and Wolves fans are all desperately hoping we lose. 

I was speaking to a Wolves fan today who said he had seen absolutely nothing from Villa to suggest we could beat Derby, it turns out he had only watched both semi finals. 

I asked him if he felt that rather than judging the outcome of Aston Villa v Derby on a game against WBA, would it not be wiser to look at the 2 league meetings between Villa and Derby when we comfortably won both? That just confused him and he changed the subject. 

2 minutes ago, Visiting Ram said:

We have used it twice away at Southampton and away at Brighton in the fa cup - cost us one very good goal as they decided that our players arm was offside - not that an arm can score a goal apparently 

Fair enough our three are as well 

Our loan players are decent but I am not sure you can say they are our best players but from an outside view I would say Mings has been your best player followed by Abraham in my personal opinion and obviously there are plenty of other decent ones just like us.

Jacks our best player mate. Under Smith when Jack plays we normally win. Mings and Abraham have of course been very important too.

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I think this largely based on the semi final performances tbh, and for those of us that live around Birmingham (black country in my case) there is also the rivalry aspect to take into account. Baggies, sha and Wolves fans are all desperately hoping we lose. 

I was speaking to a Wolves fan today who said he had seen absolutely nothing from Villa to suggest we could beat Derby, it turns out he had only watched both semi finals. 

I asked him if he felt that rather than judging the outcome of Aston Villa v Derby on a game against WBA, would it not be wiser to look at the 2 league meetings between Villa and Derby when we comfortably won both? That just confused him and he changed the subject. 

This reminds me of the Leeds fans that were saying they didn’t fear either us or Albion after watching the semi finals....

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Jacks our best player mate. Under Smith when Jack plays we normally win. Mings and Abraham have of course been very important too.

I've got a feeling that this game is going to hinge on Jack v Mount. 

Whoever has the biggest influence on their team wins. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Shhhh. Don't tell them about J*hn McG*nn... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Visiting Ram said:

not that an arm can score a goal apparently 

TELEMMGLPICT000183034155-xxlarge_trans_N

😋

To be honest the Semi final aside the only time I have seen Derby play is at Elland Road in the league and twice against us.

The second half and first half against us are probably 2 of the weakest performances I’ve seen from any team we have played this season. They were so open and fragile it’s hard to believe it’s the same team in the final.

edit: saying that under Smith we were the same vs Wigan and Shef United for 80 minutes.  Maybe we just managed to catch Derby on two off days?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

All this analysis is inevitable, but none of us has a clue as to how it's actually going to pan out. You can be the form team or the underdogs, you can have all the play, or spend 90 minutes with your backs to the wall. But the game could swing on a moment of brilliance, an accidental slip, a refereeing error... I'm trying not to think too much about it. Que sera, sera... whatever will be will be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Ticket came yesterday... shitting it 

I'd see if you can get a replacement, that doesn't sound quite right

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think we need to be careful about putting Derby as underdogs and our 2 convincing performances against them as proof this is easy.

Derby beat Norwich away ,West Brom away(4-1)and Sheffield Utd at home.They beat Man United away in the cup and have in the last 4 games beaten Leeds , West Brom and Bristol away.

I think this game is 50:50 .They have been in the top 6 for most of the season and seem to be able to raise their game above their basic ability and have a a lot of momentum going into this game.

Lampard portraying us as clear favourites puts pressure on us on top of the general pressure of the game is a master stroke.

If our players play to their maximum and we play like we were playing during our great run we will win.I am concerned about our right side,Abraham’s fitness (I think he dislocated his shoulder against Bolton),El Ghazi and Ramadan,Hourihane or Whelan.

This is giving me sleepless nights.

Delivery from set pieces could be essential for this game where Derby have weaknesses in this area.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Visiting Ram said:

It's a good point made by Visting Ram:

Tomori and Keogh have been miles ahead of anyone else in the team for consistency. Keogh won players' player of the season, Tomori won fans player of the season. Bogle, Mount, Waghorn and Holmes in particular have been all excellent since February/March time. Johnson has done well too, in all fairness. 

Wilson is a highlight reel player, but he's actually been off the pace in the latter part of the season. He's just got an end product which works out great for us, but he is definitely a cause for frustration more often than not. I don't really mind for the PO final though as he's exactly the type of player to score a goal out of nowhere. 

15 hours ago, av1 said:

that's the mistake Leeds made...

13 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I am looking forward to it unfolding but I dont mind the wait. These next few days are my safety net where we still dont know and have a chance, whereas when its done and if something goes horribly wrong then its a long long summer of misery without even a world cup to take my mind off of it. So week/weekend..drag on all you like.

World Cup starts one week today and it's being hosted right here in England. Finishes on the 14th of July, so the new season starts just 3 weeks later

I feel sorry for non Cricket fans 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chefdoc2000 said:

that's the mistake Leeds made...

I think you've misunderstood my point. I'm  not underestimating Derby due to our record against them, i was just pointing out that it's utterly ridiculous to suggest 'I've seen nothing from Villa to make me think they can beat Derby' after beating them twice this season.