Ratings & Reactions: Leeds v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/05/19 at 22:59

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I was talking about today's game.....not the last 10

I simply disagree with your analysis. We don't play anything like Steve Bruces team granted.....but by being pushed back and losing Midfield, it became similar today.....we started brightly, missed a few good chances and a pen.....and faded.

Have you studied the possession stats?, We simply watched the game differently I guess.

I can excuse John McGinn being on a ban threat....but the rest outside the defence, I couldn't see anyone dominating their position.....I thought Jack had a poor game by his standards ( sorry)

Maybe Dean will acknowledge that the game needed Whelan and not Hourihane away at a side that presses. 

Green I thought did well, he found his own space. El Ghazi and Jack were targeted successfully. McGinn was under a compromising yellow card cloud and Kodj was just an unfamiliar maverick and he didn’t really take his chances. 

On a positive note, we didn’t really look under too much threat away from home and did enough to win away from home. Defensively we looked solid. Leeds were better over 97 minutes on balance but not sufficiently to deserve a win, nor one where it matters. We looked like we weathered a storm and took it in our stride, we almost had another gear but didn’t need it.

6 minutes ago, JohnStortford said:

I think Bielsa has played a blinder by letting us score. Imagine how much ammunition that would give us if we'd have lost that game.

Yes, he understands how we would have reacted.

Why, it's almost as though he'd seen us in training.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YLN said:

That's not how the game is played and certainly when a player feign that he's going to put the ball out and then plays a forward pass once everyone has stopped playing,

Yes, that's the point.  There are times when you clearly stop play, times when you don't,  and times when players are unsure.

What caused the strong emotional reaction from the players was the feeling that there was deception.  If Leeds had just played on as normal, there might have been complaints afterwards, but there wouldn't be the fury that we saw.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, peterms said:

Yes, that's the point.  There are times when you clearly stop play, times when you don't,  and times when players are unsure.

What caused the strong emotional reaction from the players was the feeling that there was deception.  If Leeds had just played on as normal, there might have been complaints afterwards, but there wouldn't be the fury that we saw.  

It’s exactly this. If I were Smith I’d definitely be laying into them for not playing to the whistle, but it was the deception that’s just not on. So unbelievably unsporting. 

15 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Some of the worst fans in football support Leeds. A rancid little football club.

Rancid BIG football club I am sure they would be the first to tell you :) Makes you wonder what they are compensating for... 

More seriously, I dont mind most Leeds fans.  They have done their time in the Championship and are a bit crazy at the prospect of maybe getting back to the top tier. I respect that. I feel the same about Villa and we have not been down here very long comparatively. 

In all my life following the Villa that's the only goal we have scored that I have never cheered, Purely and simply because I hadn't got a **** clue what was going on! 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

After the game at VP I feared meeting Leeds in the play offs ... After today I don’t really fear them at all , nothing about them really other it’s like Norman Hunter is training them , take away the kick and bite and they don’t have a lot going for them  .. other than an ability to whine to the ref every 20 seconds 

We weren’t at our best today but  were controlling that match nicely and liked the likely winners until their dirty cheating goal and the cheating dive .

shame we didn’t make it 11 on the spin but we’d take a point after all that happened 

Edited by tonyh29

44 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

After the game at VP I feared meeting Leeds in the play offs ... After today I don’t really fear them at all , nothing about them really other it’s like Norman Hunter is training them , take away the kick and bite and they don’t have a lot going for them  .. other than an ability to whine to the ref every 20 seconds 

We weren’t at our best today but  were controlling that match nicely and liked the likely winners until their dirty cheating goal and the cheating dive .

shame we didn’t make it 11 on the spin but we’d take a point after all that happened 

I don't think we were controlling it nicely. At all. I think they were the best side we've faced in the run we've been on. They got into our half plenty, they play some nice triangles with ayling, hernandez and trampford without been threatening . Thought Phillips nullified Grealish. We need to do our homework more on them should we meet them at Wembley.

• Like 3

Not scared of them at all.

No Tammy and no Whealo. Grealish and McGinn half-fit.

With everyone back and with a referee who can call a foul they can't touch us. Didn't have a chance before that scummy goal. 

We'll do these when we next play.

3 hours ago, Hanky said:

Not sure about the linesman. It’s not just a case of he’s not seen it, he’s actually invented/guessed at what happened which is more appalling. 

was it the same one who never spotted the off side for their goal?.....he wants to go to specsavers.

• Like 1

They do a nice triangle with the first passer running on to get the quick flick from Bamford at the end of it. Unfortunately, our two cbs are athletic enough to cover it when it comes their way in between them and our fullback. 

Leeds are a bit toothless though without Roofe on the pitch and/or in form. They’ll be relying on set pieces and shots from outside the box to progress in the playoffs, it’ll just be their play getting into the final third will be very slick. 

They played a physical style with a hot tempered crowd behind them today and to be honest I didn’t feel that overwhelmed by it all. 

Id be more nervous against West Brom who have two much better strikers to contest against.

• Like 1

I don't think we have anything to fear if we play Leeds over two legs if WBA do finish above them. Leeds had the crowd on their side and the atmosphere was quite intimidating for our players and yet they still couldn't win the game. We didn't have the best of games overall but I'm sure we would give them a game at our place, we have another gear if we really need it - in a way the game didn't mean all that much overall since we've already secured our playoff place. 

McGinn needs a rest anyway, as do a few others. Think Smith really needs to rest a few at Norwich and then go all out for the playoffs. We don't have anything to fear whoever we play - WBA are probably the dark horses going into the playoffs but we've got the best squad on paper I think.

• Like 2

Although I agree they are the best we have faced on this run, and you some up very well what their good at, I do feel we had the better chances even tho we weren't at our best and as you mentioned without Tammy. I feel quite confident if it was them at Wembley we would beat them, they didn't really open us up in the final 3rd at home, so I would think at Wembley they would be there for the taking. 

Â