Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

We need to come up with a song about our magnificent window including all 12 signings, giving Jack a payrise, extending mcginn and getting rid of unnecessary players. 

I’ve heard we’re going to get it sponsored by a well known double glazing company. I’m sworn to secrecy but I can say that next season’s preseason tour is to Nepal and the players aren’t exactly looking forward to the training runs that are being devised by the coaches. 

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

We need to come up with a song about our magnificent window including all 12 signings, giving Jack a payrise, extending mcginn and getting rid of unnecessary players. 

What about the twelve signings of summer? 

In the summer transfer window Dean Smith bought for me, a striker named Wesley. 

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley. 

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels  and a striker named Wesley. 

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley. 

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley. 

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Anwar El Ghazi, Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Ezra Konsa, Anwar El Ghazi, Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Jota Peleteiro, Ezra Konsa, Anwar El Ghazi, Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Douglas Luiz, Jota Peleteiro, Ezra Konsa, Anwar El Ghazi, Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Kortney Hause, Douglas Luiz, Jota Peleteiro, Ezra Konsa, Anwar El Ghazi, Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From reading the John Percy article (yesterday morning, and I can’t find it again before you ask!) I believe that Percy was getting fed his info from Purslow regarding transfers. 

Most likely also encouraged by Purslow to write the article to quieten down the Fulham talk with realism. There was about 2 quotes from CP, and the rest was well written opinion and fact on our transfer dealing. 

10 hours ago, Villarocker said:

What about the twelve signings of summer? 

In the summer transfer window Dean Smith bought for me, a striker named Wesley. 

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley. 

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels  and a striker named Wesley. 

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley. 

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley. 

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Anwar El Ghazi, Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Ezra Konsa, Anwar El Ghazi, Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Jota Peleteiro, Ezra Konsa, Anwar El Ghazi, Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Douglas Luiz, Jota Peleteiro, Ezra Konsa, Anwar El Ghazi, Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

And in that transfer window Smith also bought for me Kortney Hause, Douglas Luiz, Jota Peleteiro, Ezra Konsa, Anwar El Ghazi, Trez-e-guet Hassan, Marvellous Nakamba, Ty-Rone Mings, Matty Targett, Tom Heaton, Bjorn Engels and a striker named Wesley.

You have too much time on your hands 🙂

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, PieFacE said:

John Percy wrote an article on our summer transfer dealings but it's behind a paywall. Has it been posted at all?

17 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

I'd love to read it if so!

its posted on R/Aston Villa.

Find the thread and someone posted the article in there i think (not sure if entire article).

16 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I’ll post it if it’s not against site rules. Mods? 

Edit: Some interesting points (paraphrased).

We signed some players who’d we’ve been watching (A LOT) since December. 

Engels has been on Smith’s radar since his time at Brentford.

Trez was Elmo’s recommendation. 

The idea of us “Doing a Fulham” is misinformed.

Luiz work permit complexity probably put other clubs off, but we saw it as a great opportunity to get a highly rated player.

Marvelous is someone we’ve watched for ages and tried to buy in Jan.

Good summary. Everything else in the article was filler.

The only other points were:

• We offered £12m to Bristol City for Webster the day after the play off final, it was rejected so we bought Engels for ⅓ Webster’s quoted price.
  • We bid for Benrahma
  • We bid for Phillips

Generally, we had a solid plan and stuck to it. Players targeted and scouted from Christmas onwards and closed those purchases methodically after the play off success.

• Like 2

I wonder if we will revisit Augustin and Benrahma in January? We were in for them, deals lined up but the selling clubs didn’t sell on deadline day due to uncertainty over Werner and Bayern (Augustin was cover for Werner) and Ghoddos failing to agree terms with Brentford.

I note Brentford have now agreed a deal for a new forward arriving in January....

Edited by thunderball

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Then what exactly is your point? 

I thought it was pretty clear, but ok:

Watching Norwich, it struck me that they are using the same approach in the PL as they did in the CH.

If they do this every week, they are going down.  Defensively, they were naeive and on another day Liverpool might have had 10.  Norwich had a 5 minute spell in each half where they competed. 

So, i'm suggesting that sticking primarily with the squad from last season, looks to be a poor decision.  Opposition aside (and Liverpool weren't great imo) if they play every team that way, i dont see them picking up many points.

55 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I thought it was pretty clear, but ok:

Watching Norwich, it struck me that they are using the same approach in the PL as they did in the CH.

If they do this every week, they are going down.  Defensively, they were naeive and on another day Liverpool might have had 10.  Norwich had a 5 minute spell in each half where they competed. 

So, i'm suggesting that sticking primarily with the squad from last season, looks to be a poor decision.  Opposition aside (and Liverpool weren't great imo) if they play every team that way, i dont see them picking up many points.

That's what I thought you ment. So I could just repeat what I said. Point is that what you are saying is drivel. The first match of a 38 match campaign won't tell you much. They met one of the best teams in the league, the current European champions. Like Nays said in another topic the first match of the season doesn't make you champions nor get you relegated. 

Norwich can stick to their football despite what you are saying and pick up enough points from far weaker teams than Liverpool. 

They same argument goes for us if we lose tonight. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I wonder if we will now have a chat with Sturridge? Kodjia looked way out of his depth today. I think Wesley showed enough and I also rate Davis but on a short term deal, Sturridge could prove useful

Too early for panic stations!