Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

45 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

did Norwich really only spend a net amount of 2.5m?

Sheff Utd managed to have a net spend of 43m.

I think Norwich have been incredibly naive. They are banking on their footballing philosophy, players stepping up and this team spirit they have. When you step up and play better quality players and get beaten, that spirit will soon wane.

48 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think Norwich have been incredibly naive. They are banking on their footballing philosophy, players stepping up and this team spirit they have. When you step up and play better quality players and get beaten, that spirit will soon wane.

i remember a quote from Farke somewhere re the lack of signings being as a result of mistakes of the past. And a post from a Norwich forum that was glad they werent signing any mercenaries - like the last time. Did they have a debt problem ?

3 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

i remember a quote from Farke somewhere re the lack of signings being as a result of mistakes of the past. And a post from a Norwich forum that was glad they werent signing any mercenaries - like the last time. Did they have a debt problem ?

I don't think there's anything wrong with Norwich's approach in the same way there's nothing wrong with ours, it's more a result of circumstance. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I think it's kinda cool. They trust the players which got them promoted which is not a bad thing. 

To be fair they crushed the championship last year so they probably are good enough to survive. 

• Like 2

In the cold light of day now the dust has settled I am actually glad we didn’t sign someone just for the sake of it yesterday. Our first choice(s) obviously not available so rather than accept second best we stood strong. 

I can see some of the youngsters being slowly blooded as the season progresses and I’m excited about this next crop coming through, Sea, Revan, Ramsey, odutayo, Vassilev as we have a plan & ethos throughout the club where hopefully number  of them will be able to step up. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Just now, thabucks said:

In the cold light of day now the dust has settled I am actually glad we didn’t sign someone just for the sake of it yesterday. Our first choice(s) obviously not available so rather than avert second best we stood strong. 

I can see some of the youngsters being slowly blooded as the season progresses and I’m excited about this next crop coming through, Sea, Revan, Ramsey, odutayo, Vassilev as we have a plan & ethos throughout the club where hopefully number  of them will be able to step up. 

I've often wondered about our youth setup and how few seem to be able to step up.....

... but, then, we had dinosaurs, shysters and want-away owners in the club in the past.

Now - with proper ownership, competent management and Dean Smith running the club - I'm optimistic that more of our juniors will come good.

• Like 1

I think I'd have preferred Welbeck to Sturridge if I'm honest.

I think Sturridge is the better player but I would just feel as though he would be a risk of an ego to put in our dressing room. Not that's he's ever come across as having a poor work ethic but I do think his ego would be a risk. If we were going to sign one of them I feel like Welbeck would've fit in better as a backup option.

Shame we didn't buy anyone as neither of those are ideal and I do think we are an attacker light

I honestly don't think a 1-year deal for Sturridge would be that bad. Could probably do a job off the bench as a backup right inside forward as well. Didn't realise he made 27 appearances last season, albeit mostly off the bench.

It's always worthwhile having a quality finisher in the squad, if it works financially.

Doesn't mean we are going back to how things used to be where we'd offer 3-year deals to Micah Richards.

Edited by jacketspuds

Let’s sign balotelli and get Barry back into the villa fold as a coach or something. 

(Sort of Joking about mad mario btw just wanted to push us closer to 1000 pages) 

Edited by thabucks

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Let's be real.

Norwich were no "Wolves" last season. They are pretty much going into Premier League with a Championship quality squad. Won't write them off because you should never underestimate great team spirit, but once you start losing games that team spirit will be put on a test.

Will be watching Liverpool - Norwich later, think they'll get spanked, but no shame losing to Liverpool.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

Let's be real.

Norwich were no "Wolves" last season. They are pretty much going into Premier League with a Championship quality squad. Won't write them off because you should never underestimate great team spirit, but once you start losing games that team spirit will be put on a test.

While I'm not saying they'll necessarily stay up, you can't really compare any promoted teams to Wolves, as they were on a different level. I said one here, actually during the game we smashed them, that they'd finish top half and be pushing for Europe in the Prem.

I also think many people are underestimating Norwich though. It's not just good team spirit they've got. But yeah, it could still become very tough for them with what they have. 

I thought this thread was closed. Time to clock back on and help with the 1k milestone.

Tish  is the heading out the door soon.

The Mirror ran this story for those who want to continue living the transfer dream:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/14-free-agents-your-club-18865426

‘14 free agents your club could still sign - despite transfer window shutting’

I do not want any of them.