Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Such a shame that Sturridge is the wrong personality type as he can clearly play (if he actually decides to). Still i guess he wouldn't be anywhere near that list if he was worth having. A balloon full of dressing room poison by the looks.

ego inflating GIF by Jon Newman

Edited by danceoftheshamen

29 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sturridge isn't a dressing room poison, he's just not that interested in playing football anymore. If he ever was at all. 

I think it's fair to say he was pretty enthusiastic in his youth, and a cracking player in his day, but with so many injuries and his attitude constantly being questioned you can see how he might of been worn down by it all, he's won a fair bit in his career and earned plenty of money, is any of it really worth it to him anymore?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think it's fair to say he was pretty enthusiastic in his youth, and a cracking player in his day, but with so many injuries and his attitude constantly being questioned you can see how he might of been worn down by it all, he's won a fair bit in his career and earned plenty of money, is any of it really worth it to him anymore?

There were questions in his youth about his commitment, these were given as one of the reasons why City shipped him on. It could well be a case of becoming the man everyone says you are over time, even if the evidence isn't there for it. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There were questions in his youth about his commitment, these were given as the reasons why City shipped him on. It could well be a case of becoming the man everyone says you are over time, even if the evidence isn't there for it. 

I don't think his body language helps in that respect, he has quite a lazy style and much like many explosive strikers (Messi being a prime example) he doesn't do a lot off the ball to win it back because he's trying to conserve energy.

All of this makes it very easy to stick labels of 'lazy' and 'bad attitude' on him without either necessarily being true. I don't know the guy, he could be both of those things, but I've seen no actual evidence to convince me he is other than a few weird quotes from Klopp.

Either way, I don't think it would be a wise signing for ourselves, he'll want big money and we shouldn't pay it for someone unlikely to play very much, and as we've discussed might not want it much anymore.

Honda's been training with Venlo for the last few weeks. Not that I think he'd be anywhere near our level these days anyway, I'd just like to see him have a twilight season back there, predominantly so I can finally get bloody Venlo shirt with his name on.

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I don't think his body language helps in that respect, he has quite a lazy style and much like many explosive strikers (Messi being a prime example) he doesn't do a lot off the ball to win it back because he's trying to conserve energy.

All of this makes it very easy to stick labels of 'lazy' and 'bad attitude' on him without either necessarily being true. I don't know the guy, he could be both of those things, but I've seen no actual evidence to convince me he is other than a few weird quotes from Klopp.

Either way, I don't think it would be a wise signing for ourselves, he'll want big money and we shouldn't pay it for someone unlikely to play very much, and as we've discussed might not want it much anymore.

There has been a lot of things said about him publicly and not publicly. Without knowing the lad intimately it's hard to tell, but for example on his 'recent' loan spell at West Brom he did absolutely nothing to ingratiate himself with the squad. Travelled on his own, trained on his own wherever viable, ate on his own, basically acted if he wasn't remotely arsed. Of course Albion were a bit of a shit show at the time and he was injured after about a week, but that's my story anyway. 

I think he's maybe a bit mentally fragile? I have no personal dislike of him, I'm just not sure he fits. 

I have to say though, if Suso and Dean were to meet with Sturridge and they like him, then sure why not. There's no doubting his ability on the pitch. It's a gamble, but we have left ourselves short so a short term deal might do the trick. 

Sometimes they work (Berger) sometimes they don't (Pires)

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have to say though, if Suso and Dean were to meet with Sturridge and they like him, then sure why not. There's no doubting his ability on the pitch. It's a gamble, but we have left ourselves short so a short term deal might do the trick. 

Sometimes they work (Berger) sometimes they don't (Pires)

I didn't feel Berger worked... but Merson!!!

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There has been a lot of things said about him publicly and not publicly. Without knowing the lad intimately it's hard to tell, but for example on his 'recent' loan spell at West Brom he did absolutely nothing to ingratiate himself with the squad. Travelled on his own, trained on his own wherever viable, ate on his own, basically acted if he wasn't remotely arsed. Of course Albion were a bit of a shit show at the time and he was injured after about a week, but that's my story anyway. 

I think he's maybe a bit mentally fragile? I have no personal dislike of him, I'm just not sure he fits. 

I guess this is old news but I'm going to say how this strikes me. I feel for Sturridge in reading this criticism of him because money can't buy respect. One offers it.

Not everyone is your friend in professional sport. People will offer praise and adulate when you're setting the standards and exciting the crowd's want for gratification.

However when expectations aren't met to a degree that pleases, then things can turn bitter, and can even lose touch with reality, Spite becomes priority instead of respect.

You say Sturridge was at Albion for a week before he came crook? So he kept to himself in his initial week in a new environment? Didn't integrate himself and trained solo?

Here's my take..

A lot of work that is done as a professional athlete is the work you do to take it upon yourself to improve, or perhaps he had a routine that wasn't part of the team one yet.

As for not integrating himself and not traveling with the team, excuse me if I'm misguided here, but you've given the poor fella ONE WHOLE WEEK to become a success!

Spending an initial week of time spent in a new environment solo is so commonplace, and so far from a character flaw, it confuses me to think why people would judge him.

A bit mentally fragile? There could and would be countless and immeasurable factors that have contributed to him not being the most popular of footballers.

Unfortunately for him that may not even be an indicator of his behaviour being poor, rather that it's maybe easier for people to point fingers than it is to explore critical thought.

Not trying to have a dig at you per se. It just irks me when it goes beyond calling out a player for their playing ability and moves on to slating them as a person.

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Not trying to have a dig at you per se. It just irks me when it goes beyond calling out a player for their playing ability and moves on to slating them as a person.

No idea what he’s like as a person but he came across as a right nob in those  ‘where’s my dog’ videos.

Even with the silly money in the PL I doubt any club is willing to meet his crazy wage demands.

If Sturridge want's to play in the PL (doubtful) I'd imagine he's lowered his alleged £9m/year + signing bonus demands from the summer.

Can't see us interested n him even if he halves his wage demands and then halves them again, and then settles for a pay as you play contract.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No idea what he’s like as a person but he came across as a right nob in those  ‘where’s my dog’ videos.

Me either. I haven't seen the videos you mention.

Maybe he is a bit of a nob and has done some things only a nob would do.

Judging him for not becoming familiar and intimate with a new club after one week seems a bit hasty to cast doubt over him, for me.

That was all.

Just now, A'Villan said:

Me either. I haven't seen the videos you mention.

Maybe he is a bit of a nob and has done some things only a nob would do.

Judging him for not becoming familiar and intimate with a new club after one week seems a bit hasty to cast doubt over him, for me.

That was all.

Fair enough. I have to admit I’m one of a few people that’s never rated him due to how he plays. Even early days when he played for Chelsea I thought he was a very selfish player that seemed to just play for himself. I got the impression he didn’t really care for his team. It was more about him being the main man. 

No doubting his talent though. 

I wouldn’t want Sturridge but we all know we are light up front. Any other short term free transfers out there?

From what I heard from my Scouse friend, Sturridge definitely does have an attitude problem but it's to do with his commitment. Apparently the smallest thing and he's 'injured' and won't play, whereas most professionals would just get on with it. I don't mean to a Chester extent either, just any little knock and he uses it as an excuse to get out of 'work'. 

• Like 1