Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I guess this is old news but I'm going to say how this strikes me. I feel for Sturridge in reading this criticism of him because money can't buy respect. One offers it.

Not everyone is your friend in professional sport. People will offer praise and adulate when you're setting the standards and exciting the crowd's want for gratification.

However when expectations aren't met to a degree that pleases, then things can turn bitter, and can even lose touch with reality, Spite becomes priority instead of respect.

You say Sturridge was at Albion for a week before he came crook? So he kept to himself in his initial week in a new environment? Didn't integrate himself and trained solo?

Here's my take..

A lot of work that is done as a professional athlete is the work you do to take it upon yourself to improve, or perhaps he had a routine that wasn't part of the team one yet.

As for not integrating himself and not traveling with the team, excuse me if I'm misguided here, but you've given the poor fella ONE WHOLE WEEK to become a success!

Spending an initial week of time spent in a new environment solo is so commonplace, and so far from a character flaw, it confuses me to think why people would judge him.

A bit mentally fragile? There could and would be countless and immeasurable factors that have contributed to him not being the most popular of footballers.

Unfortunately for him that may not even be an indicator of his behaviour being poor, rather that it's maybe easier for people to point fingers than it is to explore critical thought.

Not trying to have a dig at you per se. It just irks me when it goes beyond calling out a player for their playing ability and moves on to slating them as a person.

That's not me saying this, nor is it a personal jibe. I don't know the guy. I'm recanting a story, you can take it however you want. 

I'm not even saying there is anything wrong with how he approached the situation, it is OK to be 'mentally fragile' if that is your takeaway (I merely asked the question). I am saying though that it doesn't seem to fit with our strategy so far. 

• Thanks 1

Page 999, who will be the poster to break the 1000. As tension starts to build, will VTers start to hold back to try to time their post to perfection, or will there be a sprint for the line? Perhaps a first time poster will pop in to say hello and write his or her name in history. 

As a side bet, what time do we think the 1000 page mark will arrive? My money, (2 buttons and a match), is on 10.54am today. 

• Haha 1

I don't think many would turn down a fully fit, fully motivated Sturridge.

However, from the outside looking in he hasn't looked either of those things for a few years now, and when you factor in the financial risk for such a high earner it's easy to see why clubs are looking elsewhere.

I agree with @dont_do_it_doug., he doesn't fit our transfer strategy.

We are very short up top though, and if there's any truth in the Kodjia rumours we could be getting pretty desperate. Desperate enough to take the Sturridge risk? Time will tell I suppose.

4 hours ago, S-Platt said:

if you had a choice of Sturridge or Balotelli who would you pick?  That should break the 1000 page barrier!

This choice feels a bit like self harm.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Given the signings we've made this summer the idea of Sturridge or Balotelli representing any sort of milestones for our club is frankly mind blowing, even if it's just tipping us over into 1000 pages.

We may be short up top but we need to see how we fare in the first 10 games before we know what/who is or isn't working. I personally don't feel Dean Smith is relying on a single striker to deliver 20 odd goals, I think he's expecting all of the front 5 to contribute. Will it work, possibly but if not then I expect more firepower to arrive in January. That's what I believe Purslow meant by being strategic in our approach, fingers crossed!!

5 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

o03mUag.gif

Can't believe I nearly forgot to update this before the thread 'slams' shut!

Where is Sturridge?