Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

TBH I am not sure we should be shopping in the Championship too much either. There is something to be said for Ipswich's fate last season. They bought some league 1 stars and sure enough they took them to league 1.

I am not sure our previously policy of hiring the best in the Championship (Hogan, Bree, McCormack) worked out for us.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

This might not go down to well but I actually think a similar approach abroad in the transfer market as the year we got relegated wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world

We signed some very good players from Europe but played them alongside some very inept players that frankly couldn’t give a shit. Gueye and Ayew were our best players and you could see the potential in Amavi, Veretout and Adama. 

Gestede wasn’t good enough and the likes of Guzan, Gabby, Richards, Lescott and even Hutton were a disgrace the way they strutted around the pitch.

I was actually quite excited at the start of that season and thought we would get top 10. Shows what I know. 

Must get the balance right. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JordyTheHague said:

Belotti signed a new contract for Torino, don't think it's very realistic for him to come to the Villa. Any other strikes you guys like to see?

A quick list of players I like. Not sure of availability or cost, but I think they'd be in the same price range as Tammy Abraham, if not much cheaper.

Vincent Aboubakar
Patrick Cutrone
Kevin Lasagna
Sebastian Haller

As a Napoli supporter, I watch a lot of Serie A as well. I really like Cutrone. He's only 21 and fits the mold of young and talented.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2019 at 16:15, romavillan said:

Milner as DM, could be our Pirlo for a couple of years. There's room for one or two old heads if they are the right ones. Milner still covers miles and miles of grass.

has he got the ****s?

Tell him to try Immodium.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This might not go down to well but I actually think a similar approach abroad in the transfer market as the year we got relegated wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world

We signed some very good players from Europe but played them alongside some very inept players that frankly couldn’t give a shit. Gueye and Ayew were our best players and you could see the potential in Amavi, Veretout and Adama. 

Gestede wasn’t good enough and the likes of Guzan, Gabby, Richards, Lescott and even Hutton were a disgrace the way they strutted around the pitch.

I was actually quite excited at the start of that season and thought we would get top 10. Shows what I know. 

Its not just the balance....but hey that's so important.

Its the SOUL we have the soul back....its the connection, that we have rediscovered and it is so,so hard, to rediscover that.

Dean and the backroom team with Susso, will be very aware of not to disrupt that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I still cannot believe that as a premier league outfit we signed Jordan Bowery. 

That is among the reasons why we found ourselves in the doldrums.....decisions like that.

Should keep going for players with the same formula we've signed so far:  

• Young, hard working, "gems" from unfashionable clubs/leagues (McGinn)
  • Former "highly rated" players in their mid-twenties who never quite found their feet after going to a new club (Mings, El Ghazi, Carroll)
  • "Highly rated" younger players from "bigger" clubs who are anxious to prove themselves at a new club vs continuing to play U23 football (Tammy, Axel, Hause)

8 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

A quick list of players I like. Not sure of availability or cost, but I think they'd be in the same price range as Tammy Abraham, if not much cheaper.

Vincent Aboubakar
Patrick Cutrone
Kevin Lasagna
Sebastian Haller

As a Napoli supporter, I watch a lot of Serie A as well. I really like Cutrone. He's only 21 and fits the mold of young and talented.

Perhaps his stock as risen too much but Duvan Zapata would be perfect for us IMO

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jasoncb said:

Says Sampdoria own him but Atalanta has an option to buy. Wonder how much that is.

Yes, he went to Atalanta on a two-year loan with an option to buy last summer. Not sure how it works. Would Sampdoria be allowed to sell him out from under the loan? 

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I remember we won away at Bournemouth the opening day and thought Gueye was immense. Consistency was his thing, when he was good he absolutely bossed midfield. When he was bad, he looked knackered and couldn't pass it 5 yards. Heard the same from a few Everton fans but overall they are delighted with him. Veretout just wasn't that good, he was given chances. The fact he's gone on to do well with fiorentina is immaterial. He was poor for us. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On a more serious note. How does DS normally act in the transfer windows. Many early signings or does he do like MON?

There's been some talk about getting ex Villa players back, but there's only one player I'd like to come back and that's Milner as a DM. He's still fit, he's experienced, he still works harder than most players, he's intelligent. I'd say he's exactly the kind of experienced player we could do with, especially if we're mostly signing young, up and coming players.

Can people stop suggesting Mitrovic please. He's awful at this level

15/16 Newcastle - 34/9

16/17 Newcastle (div2) 25/4

17/18 Newcastle - 9/1

17/18 Fulham (div2) - 17/12

18/19 Fulham - 37/11

Scott Hogan has more championship goals, and his record in the prem is woeful (80/21) 1 goal every 4 games..

Edited by Junxs
  • Thanks 1