Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

48 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Indeed I do, your previous coach obviously didn't know how to get the best out of Hogan like we did, Maupay would be different because Dean Smith knows how to play him.

Or perhaps another way of looking at, it is that mid table championship teams build their team around one player (not arguing that its not their best), which Villa didn't do with Hogan.  It can inflate the players influence/ability and i just hope Villa dont take that risk at 20 odd million.

58 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Indeed I do, your previous coach obviously didn't know how to get the best out of Hogan like we did, Maupay would be different because Dean Smith knows how to play him.

Smith didn’t try to get the best out of Hogan either. He just had a purple patch and got a big move from it. Won’t be the first or the last striker that has happened to.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Would love to see Mitrovic. Was unplayable at times last season. Just not sure he has the right character.

Depends how much Fulham ask for him, could see them asking 25-30m which is to much imo. Around 20m would be good business.

I know he’s 33 now but I wouldn’t mind going for Edin Dzeko for our first season back in the PL. Not sure what his wage and contract situation is but he would bring experience to the squad and he can still bang them in. I know it’s not a long term signing but the first season back is about getting established. Once we do that then we can attract better quality. Top players will have reservations about joining a newly promoted team, even if we are Aston Villa. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Sadken79 said:

I know he’s 33 now but I wouldn’t mind going for Edin Dzeko for our first season back in the PL. Not sure what his wage and contract situation is but he would bring experience to the squad and he can still bang them in. I know it’s not a long term signing but the first season back is about getting established. Once we do that then we can attract better quality. Top players will have reservations about joining a newly promoted team, even if we are Aston Villa. 

Dzeko - NOPE :)

5 minutes ago, Sadken79 said:

Agree. One or two experienced but once world class players won’t hurt. Dzeko is a class act and always seemed like a top professional.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sadken79 said:

I would love Jamie Vardy... but didn't realise he was as old as he is!

4 hours ago, hippo said:

The last time I was this excited about a transfer window ...we unveiled Marlon Harewood !!!!

Mine was the January window where we were linked with Luis Suarez for £12m, but ended up with Emile Heskey.

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Mine was the January window where we were linked with Luis Suarez for £12m, but ended up with Emile Heskey.

I will never forget a friend texting me that villa had signed Heskey, followed by 'HAHAHAHA'.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sadken79 said:

Going to Inter Milan apparently.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Have to say IMHO it is time to completely rule out any player at the end of their career regardless of what they might offer us in the short term. There just isn't any future in it. I'd rather we go for potential and act as a vehicle for the best young talent to enter the premier league. If players like McGinn can't get a game in the prem then there is a serious gap in the market for quality that is being overlooked.

I agree, but we are talking about strikers, ones that are proven to score goals in the premier league. I really think we need one of those in the squad.

Have to say IMHO it is time to completely rule out any player at the end of their career regardless of what they might offer us in the short term. There just isn't any future in it. I'd rather we go for potential and act as a vehicle for the best young talent to enter the premier league. If players like McGinn can't get a game in the prem then there is a serious gap in the market for quality that is being overlooked.

Generally agree. Not against a corset of one or two older players though.

Just now, jasoncb said:

I agree, but we are talking about strikers, ones that are proven to score goals in the premier league. I really think we need one of those in the squad.

I know what you mean, but the proven route adds mega-bucks to the contract and there is no guarantee of them being professional or motivated enough to score the goals they were bought for. It's a gamble either way, but when a big contract goes wrong compared to a player for less who has resale value, I think the latter is the sensible option - and if it goes right it's hugely valuable. I trust our recruitment team to get this right. 

6 minutes ago, jasoncb said:

Glen Murray is a great example of that. 35 and it’s his goals that have arguably kept Brighton up for the last 2 seasons. 

• Like 2

I know what you mean, but the proven route adds mega-bucks to the contract and there is no guarantee of them being professional or motivated enough to score the goals they were bought for. It's a gamble either way, but when a big contract goes wrong compared to a player for less who has resale value, I think the latter is the sensible option - and if it goes right it's hugely valuable. I trust our recruitment team to get this right. 

I think a player like Rondon wouldn't cost mega bucks, he was a one man army upfront for Newcastle last season. Him and a younger striker with bags of potential would be great additions to the squad.