Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I didn’t see us picking up all the supposed top targets. Even if we did and got them for the lower estimates being touted around - Webster, Philips, Benrahma would probably set us back around £60m in total. 

I reckon it’ll be something like Nakamba for around £10m instead of Philips for £25m, meaning we can put the “saved” £15m towards acquiring one of our other targets.

TBH I cannot see why we would sign this lad. There are no credible links bar a couple of clickbait reports.. I think rumours have only started because we have already got Wes from Brugge and not because of a real possibility of it happening.   

• Like 1

It hasn't been a great Friday has it? Axel signing a long term contract (but not with us) and no players incoming again, has left us just a little bit on the verge of being distraught. 

If another £100m is to be our maximum spend in what remains of this window, I say we pay what we have to in order to bring in Butland, Tyrone and Bowen now.

We will also need another central defender and a defensive midfielder, as a bare minimum.

Given that, we will probably need to revisit our policy on loan signings. I agree that I would prefer to do permanent deals, but that might not be possible with the number of signings that we need to make and the budget we may have available to make those signings.

Let's bring in what quality we can on a permanent basis and look to make a couple of loan signings, preferably with an option to buy, to fill in the gaps for this season.

6 minutes ago, robitee said:

Benrahama not got an injury?

I would imagine benrahma is still in recovery from his ankle injury.

He was back at training but I imagine he isn't ready for a match yet.

At a guess.

Edited by MaVilla

I do think there will be, as I have said before, a couple more signings from abroad though as I don't think for one minute we will allow clubs to take the piss. I think the only signing we may get our pants pulled down over would be Mings. Even then I think Purslow is cold enough to break off any negotiation if Bournemouth play silly buggers for too long. 

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maupay is going to Sheffield United apparently

I'm not so sure. Wilder said that they are not in the same market as us because they haven't got much of a budget. Would they really spend a decent proportion on one player when they need to improve the quality in a number of areas? I'd expect them to sign some aging striker like Charlie Austin. 

Also wasn't Maupay as good as signed for a Spanish club a couple of weeks ago?! 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I'm not so sure. Wilder said that they are not in the same market as us because they haven't got much of a budget. Would they really spend a decent proportion on one player when they need to improve the quality in a number of areas? I'd expect them to sign some aging striker like Charlie Austin. 

Also wasn't Maupay as good as signed for a Spanish club a couple of weeks ago?! 

It was Wilder that said it yes, I said on here a few days ago, someone said that comment, it was him, couldn’t remember who it was, thanks

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I dont think we were in for Maupay though

25 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

TBH I cannot see why we would sign this lad. There are no credible links bar a couple of clickbait reports.. I think rumours have only started because we have already got Wes from Brugge and not because of a real possibility of it happening.   

Hence “something (someone) like Nakamba”.

I think it’s equally likely a player we haven’t been linked to could be brought in, like Wesley.

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Surely the reverse is the case and you should be typing loads of shite and calling Smith, Suso and Purslow all of the names under the sun to ensure that we do go out and sign 6 players next week??  😉

I'm saving that Community Chest card for 10 days before the seasons starts..  y'know..  just incase.   :)

• Haha 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I dont think we were in for Maupay though

Yes I'm not sure we are. Seems like the papers are just repeating the phillips story and changing the player's name! Template click bait. 

Wilder's comment was a general one about transfer fees. We are shopping at house of fraser and he is shopping at sports direct! 

• Thanks 1

im still relatively calm. A good number of incoming already, and sufficient press speculation that we are actively trying to bring in a few more (in the positions that we all seem to align on too). There's time still. Trust the system and set-up.

That said....it would be nice to actually have a CB for the USA tour.

23 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Hence “something (someone) like Nakamba”.

I think it’s equally likely a player we haven’t been linked to could be brought in, like Wesley.

Stupendous Nakamba?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I get that some of us are starting to stress that we need another half a dozen players and that they'd like them all signed so they can bed in before the start of the season. I'd imagine in an ideal world no one would argue the earlier you can bring in players the better in terms of getting the team to gel over pre season.

It isn't the end of the world though if that isn't the case. Three of our big players last season in McGinn, El Ghazi and Tammy all signed after the season had started, Tammy on the last day of August. In the January window Mings came in on the last day of it and hit the ground running.

I am sure we will see one or two signings over the next couple of weeks, hopefully more. The main thing though is that we get the right players in and if that means it going right up until the last day of the window so be it

I agree mate. I don’t care if we make our signing at 23:59 on 8th August.

The main thing is we make the rights signings and have a squad that can keep up.

Hopefully no need for doom and gloom on the 9th.

• Like 1

Obviously the window closes eariler this year, but this time last summer we hadn't even been taken over yet, and wouldn't be for another two weeks.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

We’re not leaving it,  is not a trip to ASDA on Christmas Eve. How do you come to the conclusion that Purslow is in shock, because we’ve only signed 5 players so far including our record signing? And who are these big clubs that are down in the Championship that weren’t there last year? Fulham, Cardiff and Huddersfield will have decent parachute payments, but as far as I’m aware we’re not after any of their players. I agree that Championship players, only on the evidence of click bait journalists mind, have now become pretty pricey, but that’s largely down to expectations of money coming down from cash rich PL clubs. 

I’m sorry, I’m not trying to have a dig at you in particular, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, transfers are rarely simple and take time to sort out. I must admit though, that there’s a certain amount of self reassurance involved when I bang on about being patient!

I hear you. My post is set against the context of our NEED to buy quite a number of players having let a number leave out of contract, that suggests confidence and a plan. It is also set against us having substantial financial backing and prior to the season ending Purslow and Smith said they had two plans in place depending on our status. And finally Smith saying he wanted his team in place for pre-season.

Mings should be relatively straight forward, the player is on board.

Whilst at the risk of falling into the ITK trap, there is plenty of quiet voices at their respective clubs saying we have definitely tried to close Webster, Philips and Butland. But none of these are anywhere close seemingly, and they are definitely gettable and not fantasy signings or in competition with others.

Fully understand the complexity of a transfer, but the last three mentioned seemed more straight forward if the fee was paid?

My real concern is as one of the favourites to be relegated, what is the cost of poor preseason preparation and a slow start, especially when we knew who would be out of contract and what we needed.

4 weeks to go and off on tour shortly.

Saw John Terry and Dean Smith tonight, looking very happy and relaxed. Definitely not running around stressing like headless chickens. If they can look relaxed with the task they've got ahead and the amount of pressure that applies I take it to mean they're in control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

It seems to be his agent suggesting the move rather than any credible Villa interest.