Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Whelan and Jedinak are basically one player. So we need:

• 1 replacement for Whelan/Jedinak
  • 1 replacement for Tuanzebe
  • 1 Mings or Mings replacement

That's 3 signings in 5 weeks. Fairly sure we'll manage this without any sweat.

Great, so that gets us back to level on last season.....all sorted!

Oh wait, we have moved up a league and thus quality and can’t afford to be only as good as last season. We need more quality otherwise relegation is on the cards 

Edited by nick76

27 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Not interested in Cahill. He ain't John Terry. If we're signing him there's scouting issues that need looking at.

Your right he’s not John Terry but let’s not pretend Terry was anymore than OK for us on the pitch what he brought off the pitch is a different matter .. I’m sure Terry has had input on this one and with Chester’s knees gone on a free I cant see the harm... He brings a wealth of experience, leadership qualities adds depth to an area we sorely lack numbers knows the league and I reckon he will be one of 3 CB I can see us signing, with say Mings and a young prospect. Chester Mings Cahill Hause an a another gives us options and needed cover ... especially as I said Chester is crocked somewhat and Mings has played what is it less than 100 games in what 7-8 seasons and how many has Hause played ? 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

Squad option is fine, but ideally like a 4th option. Might are some pressure on Bournemouth as well. 

All though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense relative to the noises that came from the club following promotion 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Cahill, Mings and Webster would represent decent business. You’ve got Webster and Cahill then fighting over that one spot alongside Mings which is healthy competition.

Being honest, if you’d asked me 4 weeks ago if I’d wanted Cahill, I’d have said ‘not a chance’, but seeing the prices being banded around now, I’d argue he would represent decent business if his wages are low.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Not interested in Cahill. He ain't John Terry. If we're signing him there's scouting issues that need looking at.

This is slightly where I am at. Must be a lot of CB alternatives in the Dutch, French and German leagues alone. 

I understand the importance of an English core, so I fully understand Deano if he ideally wants Webster, Phillips, Mings etc. But at some point we have to find alternatives and personally I think that was last week. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Is there any serious links with Cahill or is this because he’s a free agent and an ex Villa player? I’ve read a lot of chatter between us fans but can’t recall any non-blacklisted links

I don’t have an issue with us signing Cahill. Bags of experience and a good player to boot.

Those turning their noses up and saying it’s a lazy signing need to give their heads a wobble. We need a mix of experience and the younger players in the squad if we are going to survive next season. 

If we were signing a load of over the hill prem players I’d be worried, but we aren’t! A sprinkling of experience will do nothing but help improve the squad.

Edited by jim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If we sign Cahill it suggests either Chester is finished or that he or Cahill will be our starting RCB. Given the amount of money we need to spend getting some experience in at low cost could be good business. I only saw him play once in Europa League last year and he was dreadful. Very slow, but at any age it isn’t easy to just play one off games. Look at Hause and first few games.

Hopefully if it’s true it works out well but I have concerns. Still only seems to be Daily Star reporting it which makes it a pretty tenuous link in my book. 

No way is Cahill joining anyone to be a squad option. These are his last few years in football and he’s going to want to play. He said himself earlier on in the year that the reason he wasn’t happy at Chelsea was because of his playing time.

20 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

No way is Cahill joining anyone to be a squad option. These are his last few years in football and he’s going to want to play. He said himself earlier on in the year that the reason he wasn’t happy at Chelsea was because of his playing time.

Yep - that's as I see it. I wonder if DS has as much available funds as we first thought- as we have baulked at several £20m players.

....although I think a lot will happen in the final couple weeks.

28 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Depends if that's what he wants (based on the last sentence it sounds like it) if JT sells us based on his experience of us supporting him through his badges (and JT sounds very happy here) then that might work 

But he should be lined up for 4th choice so playing time wouldn't be good

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yep - that's as I see it. I wonder if DS has as much available funds as we first thought- as we have baulked at several £20m players.

I just think it’s a sensible signing if it happens. We’ve got plenty of money, we may well spend £30/40m on our first choice pairing, but we need 4 CBs who can do a job. There’ll be plenty of rotation, plus injuries etc. It would be neglect if we just signed 2 for that position. What order we get them in isn’t really relevant. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, A'Villan said:

@Vive_La_Villa Having reflected on the Cahill suggestion, I was initially reluctant to have any input as I had my reservations about giving a 33 year old a contract.

But I would have no complaints about making that signing. Agree with you about everything except the unfinished business at Villa part, as I can't vouch for that.

Look at what Terry did for us at age 37. Cahill doesn't strike me as dwindling into lackluster performances like say Lescott did. I think we'd be signing an absolute asset.

I got carried away with the unfinished business part. 

If he is fit he would be a great signing.

There’s quite a few big clubs after him though. 

My main concern is commitment. I’ve been out this morning and was surprised to see how few posts there had been and the fact that there was about a 19 minute gap since the last post in this thread. If this doesn’t improve I’d have to question whether VTers we’re out of their depth at this level.

There are only a few weeks before the Spurs game and if we don’t get our posts in early, we won’t have had a proper preseason. You’re either committed to the hysterical hype of a transfer window or your not. 

VT out!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Is there any serious links with Cahill or is this because he’s a free agent and an ex Villa player? I’ve read a lot of chatter between us fans but can’t recall any non-blacklisted links

He’s odds on with bookies too.  Closest other team is West Ham at 4-1. 

Probably doesn’t mean much though.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

Seems unlikely we would spend £22 million on an unknown brazilian striker if money was tight 

• Like 3