Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Since when did Cahill not be able to run? 

18 months ago when I last watched him play. I am sure he can still do a job, Brighton for example just sit deep and let their CBs head the ball. He would do a job there.

The way we intend to play I really cannot see it. He has always been a good football and user of the ball but he just hasn't got any legs anymore.

I really cannot see it.

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

18 months ago when I last watched him play. I am sure he can still do a job, Brighton for example just sit deep and let their CBs head the ball. He would do a job there.

The way we intend to play I really cannot see it. He has always been a good football and user of the ball but he just hasn't got any legs anymore.

I really cannot see it.

I see where you’re coming from but even Jedinak came in for a couple of games during our winning run and we still manage to win.

Also I don’t think we can play that high line next season. We’d get ripped apart. 

I trust Dean, Suso and Purslow to do the right thing.

We need quite a few players - CBx2; DCM; RW as a bare minimum; and possibly a GK, and CF as well. We may not have the £100m to buy all of these without gambling the clubs future again in case of relegation.

So if, as part of the long term strategy, the 3 people I trust choose to bring in Cahill for a season (say £3m in wages, and no transfer fee) - I would be happy with that.
Similarly, if we go back to getting Axel on loan without a deal to make permanent (assuming similar costs to Cahill) - I would be similarly happy.
Same with Butland. Would love him here - but £20m+? If we can get Heaton for £5m?

All of the above scenarios might be the £15m-£20m difference which sees getting (say) the right DCM now, or making do with someone who we could afford but might not be up to scratch simply so we can get in enough players.

This was the MON tactic that drove me **** mad - buy a shit load of decent players who could all challenge for a starting place - but rarely did he sign someone who made a big and positive difference to the starting 11.
(Please note rarely - he did with Young and Carew, and possibly Friedel. But Dunne, Collins, Davies, Knight, Beye, L Young, Warnock, Cuellar, Shorey - these were all decent enough, but the money spent!!!!! £50m+? And these are just the defenders I could think of. )

Edited by Pez1974

The silence is painful. It’s feels like ages since we’ve seen a credible link surface to any sort of player. 

I hope the club know what they’re doing. The squad as it stands would do well to get 20 points next season.

WE’RE DOOMED I TELL YOU, DOOMED!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm normally the one saying be calm but have to admit I'm starting to get a little worried.

We've done decent business at some good prices so far but we've still got a huge amount to do.

I think absolute maximum we've got left to spend is about £70m without player sales and that isn't going to go far when the starting price for everyone seems to be £20m these days.

I figure we still need GK, CB x 2, CM, RM, FW as a minimum so if I'm close on the above figure its going to take some dealing, which is perhaps why things appear to be quite at the moment. Although that is often when we seem to spring a signing.

It would be good to see Suso come up with a bargain or two from overseas, we need him to be earning his keep so far we've not seen much that would appear to have his influence.

Trent, I would never claim to have any more knowledge about the behind-the-scenes goings on than you but, I suspect that they will spend more than what you think we may have left. 

Like you, I think a goalkeeper will be signed purely based on Kalinic seeming too weak for the Championship and Sarkic being loaned out. Nyland was a car crash last season and no more than third choice. Butland is the obvious man for first choice and we probably will hold out to get him for no more than £20m.

Two centre backs seems guaranteed with Mings being one of them. I'm sure that deal is all about Bournemouth holding out hope for someone to place a high bid so we have to match it. Hopefully, the Villa have an agreement in place that we can purchase at our offered bid (surely they would see fit with paying up to £20m for him at current rates?) should nobody else come in for him by a specific date that is suitable to us - before the summer camp trip to the USA? The other centre back is anybody's guess. I think that we are probably willing to pay up to another £15m for Mings' partner? 

There's no doubting that we need muscle to play in front of the back four. I reckon this will be Deano's key signing and Hourihane won't be seen in that role in the Premier League because of being a bit too lightweight. I wouldn't be surprised to see us purchase a couple of players that can fit that role. Say £20m for the two? 

Right midfield is a position that needs to be filled as I'm sure he can't believe Jota and El Ghazi can take us through a season with just Green and Elmo as cover. An attacking wide right player is sure to be costly and here I can see us spending somewhere from £8m - £15m. Maybe even higher if the Leao rumours are to be believed. 

I think we'll go into the season with Wesley as the main man up front and Kodjia as main back-up. The attacking wide right player will probably be someone who can play the front man too, I guess making Leao a perfect player for that role? 

All totalled that's a good spend of around £90m - £100m. I think that's totally possible. I know that Purslow mentioned Fulham's spend and us doing things the right way but most importantly for the bosses is us not getting relegated and I think that they won't want to leave us weak in any area and regret it at the end of the season. 

We've spent around what, £45m-£50m on our five recruits so far? 

Cardiff were live on TV 12 times last season and ended up with approx. £100m for finishing third bottom. Our revenue will be at least the same but on top of that we will have guaranteed crowds of 34k each home game, which will probably be more like averages of 40k. We have our biggest shirt sponsorship deal in our history. We have far more corporate revenue to look forward to that Cardiff. Plus, we must have the majority of the money made from the sale of the stadium available? 

I think that we can afford a total spend of around £150m this summer to build something to take us into the next season and Premier League survival. 

I certainly hope we can otherwise it's going to be hard for us with the rebuild we've had to undertake. 

PS: Please stop with the jitters, it's completely not like you and you might start the doom merchants off! ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

The silence is painful. It’s feels like ages since we’ve seen a credible link surface to any sort of player. 

I hope the club know what they’re doing. The squad as it stands would do well to get 20 points next season.

WE’RE DOOMED I TELL YOU, DOOMED!

calm down united kingdom GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Trent, I would never claim to have any more knowledge about the behind-the-scenes goings on than you but, I suspect that they will spend more than what you think we may have left. 

Like you, I think a goalkeeper will be signed purely based on Kalinic seeming too weak for the Championship and Sarkic being loaned out. Nyland was a car crash last season and no more than third choice. Butland is the obvious man for first choice and we probably will hold out to get him for no more than £20m.

Two centre backs seems guaranteed with Mings being one of them. I'm sure that deal is all about Bournemouth holding out hope for someone to place a high bid so we have to match it. Hopefully, the Villa have an agreement in place that we can purchase at our offered bid (surely they would see fit with paying up to £20m for him at current rates?) should nobody else come in for him by a specific date that is suitable to us - before the summer camp trip to the USA? The other centre back is anybody's guess. I think that we are probably willing to pay up to another £15m for Mings' partner? 

There's no doubting that we need muscle to play in front of the back four. I reckon this will be Deano's key signing and Hourihane won't be seen in that role in the Premier League because of being a bit too lightweight. I wouldn't be surprised to see us purchase a couple of players that can fit that role. Say £20m for the two? 

Right midfield is a position that needs to be filled as I'm sure he can't believe Jota and El Ghazi can take us through a season with just Green and Elmo as cover. An attacking wide right player is sure to be costly and here I can see us spending somewhere from £8m - £15m. Maybe even higher if the Leao rumours are to be believed. 

I think we'll go into the season with Wesley as the main man up front and Kodjia as main back-up. The attacking wide right player will probably be someone who can play the front man too, I guess making Leao a perfect player for that role? 

All totalled that's a good spend of around £90m - £100m. I think that's totally possible. I know that Purslow mentioned Fulham's spend and us doing things the right way but most importantly for the bosses is us not getting relegated and I think that they won't want to leave us weak in any area and regret it at the end of the season. 

Cardiff were live on TV 12 times last season and ended up with approx. £100m for finishing third bottom. Our revenue will be at least the same but on top of that we will have guaranteed crowds of 34k each home game, which will probably be more like averages of 40k. We have our biggest shirt sponsorship deal in our history. We have far more corporate revenue to look forward to that Cardiff. Plus, we must have the majority of the money made from the sale of the stadium available? 

I think that we can afford a total spend of around £150m this summer to build something to take us into the next season and Premier League survival. 

I certainly hope we can otherwise it's going to be hard for us with the rebuild we've had to undertake. 

PS: Please stop with the jitters, it's completely not like you and you might start the doom merchants off! ;)

I agree, while I’m nervous and frustrated we aren’t more advanced in our acquisitions. I’m also nervous our 1st choice options won’t come to us. I’m not nervous about the spend, I think we have the money available to spend what we need.

• Like 1

I think for us mere mortals it’s sometimes easy to forget how much must be involved in a transfer. We’re talking multi million pound deals. Can you think of any other business where such transactions of these sums would be wrapped up in days. 

I guess it’s inevitable they will go down to the wire. 

• Like 2

Does anyone else think the Webster deal may depend on us signing Mings? Mings is left sided CB and so is Webster apparently. Maybe we are looking at Webster as an alternative and not to partner Mings?

I think the Tuanxebe new deal at Man Utd will now see us moving on our other right sided CB targets. 

• Like 1

I didn’t see us picking up all the supposed top targets. Even if we did and got them for the lower estimates being touted around - Webster, Philips, Benrahma would probably set us back around £60m in total. 

I reckon it’ll be something like Nakamba for around £10m instead of Philips for £25m, meaning we can put the “saved” £15m towards acquiring one of our other targets.

16 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Does anyone else think the Webster deal may depend on us signing Mings? Mings is left sided CB and so is Webster apparently. Maybe we are looking at Webster as an alternative and not to partner Mings?

I think the Tuanxebe new deal at Man Utd will now see us moving on our other right sided CB targets. 

Webster is right footed.

After my unrealistic wish list posted earlier which was from the deals of FM... here’s an alternate list ...

GK Butland £20 million + 

Mckenna £7million plus add ons 

Joe Rodon £4-5million 

Gary Cahill free 

Philip Billings £8 million

Baptiste Santamaria £8million

Trezeguet £7-8 million  

Leao £20million plus add ons. 

Sell Steer, & Kalinic 

49 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I don’t have the same level of insight that I used to which is perhaps why I’m more nervous than in the past when I knew more about goings on behind the scenes.

In terms of what we can spend, I think £130m is the absolute ceiling but realistically £100m will be the limit. I figure we’ve spent about £42m so far so that leaves by my estimations £60m-£90m to spend.

Lower end of that bracket makes it look really tough, even the higher end is a challenge given how many we probably need.

That is why I think deals like Jota and even Targett are good value and sensible moves. I could be wrong but I just can’t see we can spend almost £60m on Mings, Webster and Butland just for example.

So I suspect we are playing a waiting game and looking at the whole market which is sensible, I take no issue with it. I also know how how much work will be going on from past knowledge of windows that seemed quiet that weren’t behind the scenes.

I am though getting a little nervous but this was always going to be the challenge after the simply moronic Wyness/Bruce era. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything as stupid than Wyness saying one team to get up, one to stay up and one to challenge. It was utterly stupid on several levels.

The longer we leave it, the more selling clubs will smell the blood and panic in the air. We are very short on quality and numbers. Dean Smith wanted his main business done by pre-season, this isn’t happening.

Sounds like Philips is being offered a new contract by LUFC, if he signs it’s not happening, if he doesn’t he’s had his head turned which could precipitate a sale.

Really not confident now though, it feels as though Purslow is in shock and hasn’t acclimatised to the new order of things this window, which has moved on again. It does seem the best players at clubs in the Championship are now £20m and upwards. There are some big clubs with a lot of money down there now.

Edited by thunderball

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

The longer we leave it, the more selling clubs will smell the blood and panic in the air. We are very short on quality and numbers. Dean Smith wanted his main business done by pre-season, this isn’t happening.

Sounds like Philips is being offered a new contract by LUFC, if he signs it’s not happening, if he doesn’t he’s had his head turned which could precipitate a sale.

Really not confident now though, it feels as though Purslow is in shock and hasn’t acclimatised to the new order of things this window, which has moved on again.

Oh man I hope you're wrong. Obviously, you're right about other clubs smelling the panic as they will know what our squad situation is and be aware of our desperation to fill the holes within the squad. 

I'm hoping that our trust in Purslow, Suso and Smith isn't wasted and they are well in control of what's going on behind the scenes.