Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I hear you. My post is set against the context of our NEED to buy quite a number of players having let a number leave out of contract, that suggests confidence and a plan. It is also set against us having substantial financial backing and prior to the season ending Purslow and Smith said they had two plans in place depending on our status. And finally Smith saying he wanted his team in place for pre-season.

Mings should be relatively straight forward, the player is on board.

Whilst at the risk of falling into the ITK trap, there is plenty of quiet voices at their respective clubs saying we have definitely tried to close Webster, Philips and Butland. But none of these are anywhere close seemingly, and they are definitely gettable and not fantasy signings or in competition with others.

Fully understand the complexity of a transfer, but the last three mentioned seemed more straight forward if the fee was paid?

My real concern is as one of the favourites to be relegated, what is the cost of poor preseason preparation and a slow start, especially when we knew who would be out of contract and what we needed.

4 weeks to go and off on tour shortly.

I 100% understand your concerns and I’m sure in an ideal world we would have got all our business done now. Unfortunately it’s not an ideal world, but I’m sure we’ll be fine, relax. 😬

38 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I get that some of us are starting to stress that we need another half a dozen players and that they'd like them all signed so they can bed in before the start of the season. I'd imagine in an ideal world no one would argue the earlier you can bring in players the better in terms of getting the team to gel over pre season.

It isn't the end of the world though if that isn't the case. Three of our big players last season in McGinn, El Ghazi and Tammy all signed after the season had started, Tammy on the last day of August. In the January window Mings came in on the last day of it and hit the ground running.

I am sure we will see one or two signings over the next couple of weeks, hopefully more. The main thing though is that we get the right players in and if that means it going right up until the last day of the window so be it

I get all that Mark.....I still don't quite get the compatibility of the argument for a pre -season to bed in.....when its left to the last minute.....I see the financial argument of saving wages.but not see the footballing argument of preparation.

It seems like the various views are at loggerheads with themselves.......If a pre-season is the be all and end all that its is made out to be.....it seem like you have to wait until the following season to benefit.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstupwyxz

Hidden within that stream of random letters are he names of the players we are going to sign.

#MrSmirchITK

Damn.  That rules out a lot of players who have the same letter in their name twice or more??

• Haha 1

To avoid the nerves, I’m trying to focus and be intrigued about the players we haven’t been linked with yet and maybe foreign players I’ve never heard of. Wes was out of the blue and apart from YouTube clips and some people that has seen him, he’s an unknown quantity. Maybe a defensive enforcer like Melberg or something, hopefully less Salifou like.....

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Hence “something (someone) like Nakamba”.

I think it’s equally likely a player we haven’t been linked to could be brought in, like Wesley.

I wasn't quoting you to point out that I thought you was wrong about anything but he has been mentioned on here quite a bit so just picked the name more than the post.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I get that some of us are starting to stress that we need another half a dozen players and that they'd like them all signed so they can bed in before the start of the season. I'd imagine in an ideal world no one would argue the earlier you can bring in players the better in terms of getting the team to gel over pre season.

It isn't the end of the world though if that isn't the case. Three of our big players last season in McGinn, El Ghazi and Tammy all signed after the season had started, Tammy on the last day of August. In the January window Mings came in on the last day of it and hit the ground running.

I am sure we will see one or two signings over the next couple of weeks, hopefully more. The main thing though is that we get the right players in and if that means it going right up until the last day of the window so be it

Great shout.

But I'm greedy and I want them now. Now now now.

We do have an easy-ish start so it would be beneficial if we can bed players in and pick up as many as we can first 10 games or so. Right players more important though, yes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I get all that Mark.....I still don't quite get the compatibility of the argument for a pre -season to bed in.....when its left to the last minute.....I see the financial argument of saving wages.but not see the footballing argument of preparation.

It seems like the various views are at loggerheads with themselves.......If a pre-season is the be all and end all that its is made out to be.....it seem like you have to wait until the following season to benefit.

I don't think pre season is the be all and end all. I am also sure though that in an ideal world every manager would like to start pre season and have all the players he can realistically sign in place.

I'd imagine at least 50% of clubs will start the first game of the season with at least 3 players that they have not yet signed. I'd think us, and maybe a handful of others, will be looking at more like 4 or 5 players starting that haven't yet signed.

As I mentioned in my previous post as we showed last season players coming in after the season has started (which can't be the case this window), or over half way though it, can still hit the ground running and make a big impact.

Edited by markavfc40

48 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think we get that, but the stress is coming from the fact that we’re not just tweaking or adding strength to an established team, we still have to build the spine of the team virtually from scratch. We have hardly any defenders, and no defensive minded midfielders who are gonna be able to cut it in the prem.

You mention three players in your post. We still need around SIX first teamers or we’re gonna set all time goals conceded records next year. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just keep telling myself we have to be better than 3 other teams. Surely we can do that right?

We can, but it's changed a lot the last 5 years. If a top 6 team don't win any match, it's a disastrous result and looked at as a huge bonus for the other side. Pretty crap for a competitive league that.

27 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstupwyxz

Hidden within that stream of random letters are he names of the players we are going to sign.

#MrSmirchITK

Na, sorry mate that's a fail.

The theme is 'days' according to the memo.

I decided to stupidly host Rigo Tuesday's where before long you'll prob see some panic posts coming if we don't start signing anyone.. and Delphino123 Wednesday's, where we actually don't sign anyone on that day.

You have Thursday to Monday still available..   :lol:

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't think pre season is the be all and end all. I am also sure though that in an ideal world every manager would like to start pre season and have all the players he can realistically sign in place.

I'd imagine at least 50% of clubs will start the first game of the season with at least 3 players that they have not yet signed. I'd think us, and maybe a handful of others, will be looking at more like 4 or 5 players starting that haven't yet signed.

As I mentioned in my previous post as we showed last season players coming in after the season has started (which can't be the case this window), or over half way though it, can still hit the ground running a make a big impact.

Having played many seasons of professional basketball and experiencing the different preseasons that have come with that, at various clubs, I find this to be an accurate statement.

I can think of multiple occasions where a player has signed last minute, or for various reasons been unable to commit to a full pre-season, and rocked the show throughout the season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Joachim Anderson gone to Lyon for £20m.

Do we have an Italian scout? Feels like most of the summers moves have been into or our if Italy.

Now Merih Demiral has gone to Juve for £15m. Two CBs who could have done a job and I think we could have attracted. All happening in Italy. Hope Suso has an old pal we can get on board to get us in the market there.

I suppose it's a slightly tedious task to identify all the factors that go into building a successful campaign.

Preparation is huge, but as long as fitness levels are up, and individual skills don't need too much honing, team approach can be implemented quite quickly.

A full pre season with the right players is the best possible option, but isn't going to happen.

Buying 2nd and third choice players just to get them in early to give the team "time to gel" is the worst possible option.

One thing that struck me as common sense was Sam Allardyce's recent reply to the question "What is the most important part of surviving in the Premier League for a newly promoted side?" His reply was something like "start fast, and get as many points on the board in the first ten games before teams figure you out." 

Being prepared to pay over the odds for absolutely key 1st choice players is essential to hitting the ground running on August 9th. The focus of our current negotiations has to be "how much extra".

• Like 2