Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, Feidhlim said:

There is a lack of reliable transfer news because, as we have already demonstrated, the club seem capable of withholding their plans (eg Jota). We all want signings immediately but in reality that doesn't always happen and we know the various reasons why.

Potentially we have 5 players lined up to sign next week and the press haven't gotten wind of any of it. Sure, that's unlikely...

The lack of news is frustrating and worrying people but everyone has faith the club are doing all they can to get the bodies in. It's been acknowledged by the club that players are needed.

So my point is that everyone should relax.

Judgement dates IMO:

- Players we have 1st day of training (we have done OK?)

- Players we have 1st game of season (TBC)

- Players we have when window closes (TBC)

Window closes before the first game of the season doesn’t it?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Me too but if we’re being honest we’re yet to really see what Suso can do. Due to the tv money I honestly think the Premier League is a lot stronger now than the year we got relegated.   We need to just be better than 3 teams but at the moment it’s with a squad that is currently weaker than the one that got promoted. 

Im all for faith in the club but how can people not be worried for next season? 

P.s. this is not a doom and gloom post, I’m delighted to be in the top flight. I’m just concerned at this moment in time.

It would be nice to have our new players in the squad already, but what would you have us do? The selling clubs hold all the cards. They know we want the players in the squad now and to make it so, we’d have to pay a premium. They also know we’ll get more and more desperate as time passes (see, this forum) and there’s a chance we’ll agree to the selling club’s demands. But the power dynamic shifts the closer we get to the deadline. The player, after a summer of having his name used as bait for clicks, might be unsettled. The selling club might see the writing on the wall and become motivated to buy his replacement. Or maybe they’ve already bought the replacement, certain he was set to move on. Maybe they’re simply tired of the drama. The deadline motivates both sides, for better or worse.

There are scenarios that will encourage a club to sell a player early, such as Southampton needing the funds from the Targett sale to fund their Adams purchase, or the Belgian League (and other foreign leagues) willing to sell for less than others. But for the most part the only way to ensure a player’s early arrival is to pay over the odds for them, and once you get that particular reputation, it’s difficult to shake (see Man U). 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm normally the one saying be calm but have to admit I'm starting to get a little worried.

We've done decent business at some good prices so far but we've still got a huge amount to do.

I think absolute maximum we've got left to spend is about £70m without player sales and that isn't going to go far when the starting price for everyone seems to be £20m these days.

I figure we still need GK, CB x 2, CM, RM, FW as a minimum so if I'm close on the above figure its going to take some dealing, which is perhaps why things appear to be quite at the moment. Although that is often when we seem to spring a signing.

It would be good to see Suso come up with a bargain or two from overseas, we need him to be earning his keep so far we've not seen much that would appear to have his influence.

Cool as a cucumber me Trent! 

nervous 30 rock GIF by HULU

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Thats2 said:

It would be nice to have our new players in the squad already, but what would you have us do? The selling clubs hold all the cards. They know we want the players in the squad now and to make it so, we’d have to pay a premium. They also know we’ll get more and more desperate as time passes (see, this forum) and there’s a chance we’ll agree to the selling club’s demands. But the power dynamic shifts the closer we get to the deadline. The player, after a summer of having his name used as bait for clicks, might be unsettled. The selling club might see the writing on the wall and become motivated to buy his replacement. Or maybe they’ve already bought the replacement, certain he was set to move on. Maybe they’re simply tired of the drama. The deadline motivates both sides, for better or worse.

There are scenarios that will encourage a club to sell a player early, such as Southampton needing the funds from the Targett sale to fund their Adams purchase, or the Belgian League (and other foreign leagues) willing to sell for less than others. But for the most part the only way to ensure a player’s early arrival is to pay over the odds for them, and once you get that particular reputation, it’s difficult to shake (see Man U). 

I get all that but whilst it’s all an unknown I think it’s fair for fans to worry for the season.

We have this same conversation every year. Sometimes the squad comes good by the time the window closes. Other times it doesn’t (especially in our case).

Last season being a classic example, we had new Billionaire owners and we’re being told not to worry about the defence as we now have the right people in the charge and there’s plenty of time to sort it.

In the end the Window closed and we had 2 recognised centre halves in the whole squad, one that was being played on the right!

I will relax when I see the squad when the window closes.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, thabucks said:

££££$$$€$€££££ 

I reckon it will be worth it. The way he was sold was scandalous.  I don’t think in my whole time of watching football have I seen such a talented player deemed surplus to requirement and sold on the cheap.

He has unfinished business at Villa.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I reckon it will be worth it. The way he was sold was scandalous.  I don’t think in my whole time of watching football have I seen such a talented player deemed surplus to requirement and sold on the cheap.

He has unfinished business at Villa.

danny devito no GIF

37 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I'm still excited to see who else we can identify from abroad.

The likes of Jeremiah St. Juste at Feyenoord or Diogo Leite from Porto are surely cheaper, and more gettable, than the rumoured £25m for Webster.

Jacket mate, why don't you Juste Leite it go and stop torturing yourself. We will get our new centre backs in before the season starts I'm sure of it.......hopefully! ;)

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I'm still excited to see who else we can identify from abroad.

The likes of Jeremiah St. Juste at Feyenoord or Diogo Leite from Porto are surely cheaper, and more gettable, than the rumoured £25m for Webster.

Just read up on both and watched obligatory YouTube vids ... both sound class and good shouts ! 

• Like 1