Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

10 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

For me now that Tuanzebe has signed a new contract at Man Utd I wouldn't be interested in taking him back on loan if the chance were to arise.

It's been said before but we shouldn't be developing other teams players whilst in the PL, unless we have the benefit of being able to sign them later on with an option to buy.

It's a shame as he is a class player who will no doubt go on to play for England.

I would make an exception for Axel myself. He would hit the ground running and we need central defenders.

I would go for the option to buy, if available. The price will be higher, but he is likely to prove to be worth it once the penny drops that they are unlikely to use him as a starter. It's a pity he has signed another contract with them though, he may live to regret that as he sits on their bench in the coming months. 

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Me too. Especially with what happened last time we signed loads of players from Europe. 

that wasnt the foreign players fault, our club and management team was run by buffoons.

All the foreigners we bought that season were/are class players. (apart from Traore - and even he went on to play for a Prem side that finished 7th)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, John said:

I would make an exception for Axel myself. He would hit the ground running and we need central defenders.

I would go for the option to buy, if available. The price will be higher, but he is likely to prove to be worth it once the penny drops that they are unlikely to use him as a starter. It's a pity he has signed another contract with them though, he may live to regret that as he sits on their bench in the coming months. 

I completely understand this opinion, but I still just don't want us to further develop other clubs' players. Even if it's a club that's not direct competition for our mid-table/avoid relegation aim.

If Axel was completely faultless, then maybe I'd be with you, but I still think has has some weaknesses (that most young players will have), and for this reason, I'd rather we utilised our scouting system to bring in an alternative option. Maybe it's more of a gamble, but Axel himself would be a gamble in the Prem.

Players only stay at any one given club for two or three years these days anyway, so looking at it like that you could say that we're developing most of our players for others clubs, because in a few years many of them will move on, and by the same token, elsewhere there are players being developed at other clubs that we will sign. If Tuanzebe was to return on loan, it will mean we will have had him for three seasons , he will affectively have been like a permanent signing at very low cost. Tuanzebe is the one exception I'd make.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I completely understand this opinion, but I still just don't want us to further develop other clubs' players. Even if it's a club that's not direct competition for our mid-table/avoid relegation aim.

If Axel was completely faultless, then maybe I'd be with you, but I still think has has some weaknesses (that most young players will have), and for this reason, I'd rather we utilised our scouting system to bring in an alternative option. Maybe it's more of a gamble, but Axel himself would be a gamble in the Prem.

I understand your points above also. He is not faultless, but is familiar with us and I think that reduces the risk of the gamble not paying off. That said, he might well have chosen to stay where he is in any case in the hope that he can get a run of games with them. If so, we move on and he may well be back to square one in a window or two. 

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Players only stay at any one given club for two or three years these days anyway, so looking at it like that you could say that we're developing most of our players for others clubs, because in a few years many of them will move on, and by the same token, elsewhere there are players being developed at other clubs that we will sign. If Tuanzebe was to return on loan, it will mean we will have had him for three seasons , he will affectively have been like a permanent signing at very low cost. Tuanzebe is the one exception I'd make.

Apart from we don't get the financial benefit, we spend three seasons giving him a chance of first team football and developing him where the risk is all ours, and then Man Utd sell him for big money getting almost all the benefits of our hard work, all we get is his playing services for 3 years and we would be paying for that privilege.

The whole point of not developing other teams players is that there's more profit in developing our own.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
missed a word
  • Like 2

lets take a look at our first 11, for our final Premiership game before relegation on 15.05.2016 (versus Arsenal), and compare it to the team we would now have assuming we only signed Mings, Webster & Phillips (or similar) before the Window closes.

Aston Villa - First 11 - 2015/16 : (5-3-2) Bunn, Cissokho, Toner, Lescott, Bacuna, Lyden, Westwood, Sanchez, Gueye, Ayew, Sinclair.

Aston Villa - First 11 - 2019/20 : (4-3-3) Steer, Targett, Mings, Webster, Guilbert, Phillips, Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi, Jota, Wesley.

I think those two teams, on paper, are worlds apart, probably the only player from the 2015/16 team i would take now (if time was frozen and we could take them), would be Gueye.

Also take a look at how the team was setup in 2015/16, literally THREE defensive midfielders in a 3 man midfield, zero creative players pretty much.......no wonder we were in a state, obviously i could talk about the rest of that team also, but i dont have time to write war and peace :P

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

@Teale's 'tache

We've had financial profit from Tuanzebe because he played a massive part in us reaching the Premier league. And if he comes back on loan, that will be three seasons he's spent at the club, at very little cost, a lot of permanent signings don't stay at a club for that long, hardly a poor transfer strategy, for someone who's been one of the club's best players over the last two seasons, and without whom we might not have been promoted.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

lets take a look at our first 11, for our final Premiership game before relegation on 15.05.2016 (versus Arsenal), and compare it to the team we would now have assuming we only signed Mings, Webster & Phillips (or similar) before the Window closes.

Aston Villa - First 11 - 2015/16 : (5-3-2) Bunn, Cissokho, Toner, Lescott, Bacuna, Lyden, Westwood, Sanchez, Gueye, Ayew, Sinclair.

Aston Villa - First 11 - 2019/20 : (4-3-3) Steer, Targett, Mings, Webster, Guilbert, Phillips, Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi, Jota, Wesley.

I think those two teams, on paper, are worlds apart, probably the only player from the 2015/16 team i would take now (if time was frozen and we could take them), would be Gueye.

Also take a look at how the team was setup in 2015/16, literally THREE defensive midfielders in a 3 man midfield, zero creative players pretty much.......no wonder we were in a state, obviously i could talk about the rest of that team also, but i dont have time to write war and peace :P

I think the first lineup against Bournemouth would be a better indication of the team. 

Was still shit but at least won.

1 minute ago, useless said:

@Teale's 'tache

We've had financial profit from Tuanzebe because he played a massive part in us reaching the Premier league. And if he comes back on loan, that will be three seasons he's spent at the club, at very little cost, a lot of permanent signings don't stay at a club for that long, hardly a poor transfer strategy, for someone who's been one of the club's best players over the last two seasons, and without whom we might not have been promoted.

I've thought this a few times. You can work the loans well. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the first lineup against Bournemouth would be a better indication of the team. 

Was still shit but at least won.

we won 3 games that season, i assume you mean the away game where we won 1-0?

that lineup looks like it was 4-3-3

Guzan, Amavi, Clark, Richards, Bacuna, Westwood, Gueye, Veretout, Sinclair, Gabby, Ayew.

Amavi got injured didnt he?, and Veretout didnt play so much due to being frozen out.

Still.......that team is still crap (Amavi/Gueue/Veretout aside).

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

we won 3 games that season, i assume you mean the away game where we won 1-0?

Yeh the first game of the season. We didn’t actually look that bad for the first few games. It fell apart against and then after Watford. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh the first game of the season. We didn’t actually look that bad for the first few games. It fell apart against and then after Watford. 

ye, altered my post above to reflect, we had 3 or so decent players yeah, just a pity 1 got injured, 1 was frozen out, and the third played but the team was so bad he couldnt move mountains alone......

7 minutes ago, useless said:

@Teale's 'tache

Good point.

So what you're saying is, if we can bring in solid loan players for very little money, then as long as we also get promoted, we can continue to make a great deal of profit!

What's the league above this one, again?

• Haha 1

No I don't want us to continue to bring in loan players, unless we have option to buy. But I'd make an exception for Tuanzebe, because of the fact that he's already been at the club for two seasons, meaning if he comes back we will have had him for three seasons, which is pretty much like a permanent signing anyway. Sometimes in the jungle you can't see the forest for the trees.

• Like 1