Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

26 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s an interesting and useful graphic, however it’s likely to change over the next 4 or 5 weeks as players leave other clubs. Ours looks particularly light because we released a lot of players very early, but many of them were never going to play next season. However some of them may yet return, in fact I’m not sure when this was done, or if it includes El Ghazi or Hause? It does highlight that we have plenty of work to do, but we knew that anyway. 

Looking at the graphs again I’m not too sure how it’s been worked out. Taking Watford for example, they have apparently lost 0.5% of their playing staff, which must mean they have a playing staff of 200.  Unless they have say 50 and they’ve chopped someone’s arm off? If it’s just first team squad of 25 then there’s been a blood bath at clubs all over the country!  Perhaps it includes all the junior teams, in which case it’s somewhat misleading. 

Edit: I’ve  just noticed, it’s minutes played. What a doughnut I am!

Was still a good read though Dave.  😉

• Thanks 1

Looks like we have won the race to sign Cahill. Given were we are at regards CB’s its a good signing.

For 1 to 2 years he will help us establish ourselves as a prem team and we can then push on.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Looks like we have won the race to sign Cahill. Given were we are at regards CB’s its a good signing.

For 1 to 2 years he will help us establish ourselves as a prem team and we can then push on.

I hope so. Invaluable experience and still young enough to make a big impact on the pitch. 

15 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Sorry I cant see us paying the wages for him, hardly fits the young bracket anymore.. 

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Wolves essentially played the same 11 all season (Costa started out early then got dropped. Traore only used as impact sub. Saiss defence cover etc) and have a few less than world beaters like Bennett.  Patricio couldn't keep a clean sheet in 18 straight games from FPL memory.

We need to make a few signings and will be fine. If we were to start with Jota and Hause I'm totally fine with that

Wolves were unusually fortunate to go the season almost injury free. We cannot rely on having the same good fortune and I'm sure we won't.

We need a first team and players that are capable of slotting in, where necessary and of challenging for a first team place for themselves. For me, Jota and Hause come into that category.

Those that make the decisions at our club are fully aware that we need strengthening and I back them to do just that. Selling clubs are looking for top dollar fees for their players from us, as they are entitled to. Hopefully in time they will accept reasonable bids, otherwise we will take our money elsewhere to clubs who are more realistic concerning the worth of their players. Hopefully our bids will start being accepted soon.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/790139/Aston-Villa-Chelsea-Gary-Cahill-transfer-latest-update-news?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-star-football+(Daily+Star+%3A%3A+Football+Feed)

Aston Villa set to sign Gary Cahill following Chelsea release

ASTON VILLA look set to land Gary Cahill following his release from Chelsea last week.

Yes I know it’s the daily star ..... just thought I’d post ... I’m easy with this signing now especially if we get an young CB as well as a left sided one... 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Still don't believe it until I see it. 

Yep that’s  where I am.... I still reckon he will stay in LDN but wouldn’t be too gutted if he signs or not . 

Edited by thabucks

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

No fee so wages won’t be a problem. He’ll add experience which is valuable when the aim is to recruit younger players. Some balance is always important. 

Yeah I see the appeal, to be fair hes a brute so I'm sure he will fill a gap. Just didnt think we would sign older players that's all

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Jota RW Hause CB obviously. I'm assuming we eventually sign Mings, a DM, and probably another CB

Worth re-highlighting that the window shuts before the season. Whatever we start the season with is all we have until January

27 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

People turning their noses up at Cahill need to realise that in a market where every player we’re looking at is quoted at £20m, Cahill on a free would be astute business. 

Which is probably exactly what people said about Joleon Lescott before we signed him. I haven't seen Cahill play for a while... actually just had a quick look at his stats on Wikipedia and see that's no surprise as he played twice in the league last year. I also saw that he'll be 34 in December. I fear this signing and doubt it's true. He won't have the same level of player around him to bail him out and I don't want us to change the way we play for a slow CB. No for me.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Which is probably exactly what people said about Aaron Lescott before we signed him. I haven't seen Cahill play for a while... actually just had a quick look at his stats on Wikipedia and see that's no surprise as he played twice in the league last year and he'll be 34 in December. I fear this signing and doubt it's true. He won't have the same level of player around him to bail him out and I don't want us to change the way we play for a slow CB. No for me.

That was the problem though, we obviously signed the wrong Lescott. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

Apologies all round if this has been posted - but to illustrate the point on squad turnover that many are making, this shows the %age of last seasons minutes played by players STILL at each club. Obv this may change through the window.

Capture0701.JPG.1e0efd7e31c94ad7e0d3764eeedd4a0e.JPG

I do feel there’s a bit of sub text to this graph, being that a big chunk of our % lost are the rotation options we’ve let go, who quite simply were not up to the standard and needed moving on. The big chunks are either loan players or older ones, slight guess but I think:

Abraham - will be a loss but not irreplaceable

Whelan - older player, great servant but not someone I’d want for a prem squad

Adomah - no longer good enough 

Hutton - was he ever good enough?

The rest are minor bit part players or loan players Tuanzabe and Mings. Squad depth is obviously a concern, but right now my only major concern is centre backs, once that is rectified I’ll feel way more comfortable, and we can look at perhaps a couple of improvement additions like a top DM and another winger.

yeah we have work to do but I think this graph isn’t necessarily as bad as it looks