Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

33 minutes ago, Smartin said:

In the cases of Tuanzebe and Tammy, he clearly didn't say Man Utd and Chelsea aren't a big step up. He was talking about the bottom 6. Where Mings is concerned, he had his injury problems.

But neither Tuanzebe or Tammy would have played regularly outside the bottom 6 teams, they they were loaned out to the championship,  so the argument is a bit lacking. 

Mings was fit. He just didn't play. 

49 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am not sure about that. I think the fact that we loaned 3 PL players that didn't play at their clubs and they basically carried us to promotion, that suggests there is a gap. 

We loaned young players that were at PL clubs and, for various reasons, couldn't get a break.  We gave them that break and they excelled/showed what they could do and, where we could, we have signed them and they are now PL players again!

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Some of the loans last season were excellent, with the likes of Andre Gomes and Youri Tielemans coming in for Everton and Leicester respectively. These are the sort of loan signings we should be looking at.

No, loans are always bad. We should not be loaning players. No way. 

:trollface:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

But neither Tuanzebe or Tammy would have played regularly outside the bottom 6 teams, they they were loaned out to the championship,  so the argument is a bit lacking. 

Mings was fit. He just didn't play. 

You are implying they would play regularly INSIDE the bottom 6 teams, which was exactly the point... that there isn't much difference between the top of the championship and the bottom of the prem.

14 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

No monies spent, other than Fulham, who spent in a strategically poor way and alienated the good players that had got them there.  We will not do that: Jack and McGinn will start in CM; Mings, if he returns, will be our starting CB; Steer may not start but he knows he is important and has a future here; El Ghazi has been signed and will be an important player; Hourihane will be upgraded as a DCM but will still be an important part of the squad.  They are also "Championship" clubs - we are not. We are a PL club that has taken a break.  We have a management team - throughout the club - that knows where it is going and a PL identity.  The margins are fine in the relegation battle - there were a number of clubs involved until late on - and we just have to be better than the bottom three.  Newcastle have done this on a shoestring and with no plan, other than lets hold on to Rafa for as long as we can/until we can sell.

Lets have more faith in the team at Villa Park.

i agree that we are much better placed than the likes of fulham were to escape the drop. i dare say we're better placed than sheff utd and norwich who i think will both treat this season as a 'lets take the money and run back to the championship'. but i just think it's naive to think that there's not much difference between the premiership's bottom 6 and the top teams in the championship.

3 minutes ago, Smartin said:

You are implying they would play regularly INSIDE the bottom 6 teams, which was exactly the point... that there isn't much difference between the top of the championship and the bottom of the prem.

Well I am completely certain they wouldn't even play regularly in the bottom 6, seen by them being at a championship club. But I can try cover this when I am off work. 

Either way the statistics shown by previous posters is the best answer you can get.  

Josip Drmić on a free please.  Struggled to properly kick-on from his breakthrough Nürnberg season all those years ago but always seems to pop-up with clutch goals off the bench and can play across the entirety of a front 3.  Initial paper talk has him linked to Norwich, I wouldn't have him ahead of the likes of an El Ghazi and he did have some bad injuries a few years ago (that he seems to have finally shaken off) but I do think we could do much, much worse in terms of padding out the squad on the cheap.

• Like 2

Caught up on the last week or so....it seems the debate is whether Championship players for £20m is worth it, against those with PL (or Champs League) experience? About right?

Maddison was very promising, but without PL exp. Went for £22m (or thereabouts). After one good PL season, now talking about £60m? Because he's good, young and English.

So, yes, do the scouting and get a good Championship player, and their values increase massively. But it's always about good scouting.

Benteke was perfect for us - good scouting and he looked as good as Lukaku. Liverpool just spunked a load of money on him, but didn't fit him into their system. Bad scouting. Same player, different outcome.

• Like 2

Yeah it’s a no to Costa from me - after coming back from injury he lost a lot of pace, and struggled in the championship the back end of the season Wolves went up. He did seem to be improving in terms of fitness as last season went on, but not worth the risk for the price which would be close to £10 mill one would assume.

• Like 1