Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nobody’s saying it’s world class. Far from it. It’s just a very difficult league to play in. The pace, intensity and shit refs means you have to work your ass off to succeed. 

Look at El Ghazi as a good example. He came in to the league thinking he could run the show. He got a rude awakening and has publically admitted how difficult he found it and had to adapt.  He is now much more equipped for the Premier League than he would have been had he come straight from Lille.

Sure, there are absolutely aspects of the game that make the Championship difficult to play in, and moving to a new league or country can be difficult as well.

Didn’t Tyrone Mings used to play for Ipswich? 

If that’s the case, and Ipswich definitely weren’t in the premier league at the time, we should steer well clear. 

We should go after Westwood, Hogg, Lowton and Clark who are all premier league players, that way, we’ll progress. 

You stick them lot behind Glen Murray and Charlie Austin and it won’t be long before we’re back in Europe.

To summarise. We definitely shouldn’t sign any players from the championship. They’re shit and they should stay there - it’s their level. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

To summarise. We definitely shouldn’t sign any players from the championship. They’re shit and they should stay there - it’s their level. 

I don't think anyone has said that. What people are getting at is that championship players are currently priced unreasonably high with a high uncertainty of them making the step up. Thus it's reasonable to look for value in other leagues. It's literally one of the major reasons to have a scouting department. 

• Like 1

Fwiw Butland is a seasoned PL player, Benrahma is schooled in Ligue 1, El Ghazi was schooled in Holland, Maupay comes from the Nice academy and was schooled in France...

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Personally I think the 'step up' to the prem is overblown. I think there is very little difference really between the top 6 of the championship and bottom 6 of prem, and there are plenty of players in the championship who would shine in better quality prem teams. Just because you come through a premier league academy or from a foreign league does not make you better than those rising up the EFL pyramid. It's a shame that championship teams have figured this out and are pricing their top players accordingly, so the bargains are few and far between now.

I am not sure about that. I think the fact that we loaned 3 PL players that didn't play at their clubs and they basically carried us to promotion, that suggests there is a gap. 

• Like 1

I think the gap is bigger than most of us think.
Look at the 5 previous play-off winners - 4 got relegated immediately, and 1 lasted an extra season before being relegated.

That's despite some of them spending many tens of millions of pounds to strengthen their championship team.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am not sure about that. I think the fact that we loaned 3 PL players that didn't play at their clubs and they basically carried us to promotion, that suggests there is a gap. 

In the cases of Tuanzebe and Tammy, he clearly didn't say Man Utd and Chelsea aren't a big step up. He was talking about the bottom 6. Where Mings is concerned, he had his injury problems.

If you discount players that have transferred from teams that have just been relegated from the premier league, and therefore whilst technically championship players, haven't actually played in that division, then there aren't many who've left championship clubs for big money, that have gone on to be a big success, whether it's to other championship clubs or moving up a divsion to the premier league.

34 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Personally I think the 'step up' to the prem is overblown. I think there is very little difference really between the top 6 of the championship and bottom 6 of prem, and there are plenty of players in the championship who would shine in better quality prem teams. Just because you come through a premier league academy or from a foreign league does not make you better than those rising up the EFL pyramid. It's a shame that championship teams have figured this out and are pricing their top players accordingly, so the bargains are few and far between now.

2016-2017 - 2 promoted teams relegated in their 1st season (boro + hull)

2017-2018 - all stayed up to be fair, but 2 of the 3 struggled and still are...1 just escaped relegation (brighton) last season and 1 was relegated (huddersfield)

2018-2019 - 2 promoted teams relegated in their 1st season (fulham + cardiff)

the step up is huge, in my opinion. the likes of bournemouth can cut it with the best of them and are a match for anyone in the league on their day...they finished 14th

Since we are looking to spend, what £150m or something like that it kinda suggests that the step up is pretty big.

Granted we went up with a squad we had to "beg, borrow and steal" to build.

There is clearly no magic formula to putting a new squad together that will do well in the PL.  If there was, every promoted team would be utilising it and finishing top half.

Clearly, the best way to do it is as Wolves did it, by building a good squad that walks the Championship and adding a few quality additions, but even they didn't get it 100% right - can you imagine the uproar on here if our record signing was not Wes but Adama Traore!!

The clearest route has to be:

• Largely the best younger players from the Championship/relegated teams - which is what we appear to be consistenly linked with.  It has to be this way as you can't easily buy (within a budget and with the need to do a full re-build) the better young PL players and the Championship players understand the game in this country and are battle hardened.  Some, like Hourihane, I actually think are more suited to the PL - less hustle and bustle and more technically based.  Equally, I think youth is key as football is getting quicker and quicker and we need energy, certainly in the engine room.
  • Sprinkle a few PL experienced players - Heaton ticks boxes for me but I would also look at Kieran Gibbs who, I'm sure I read, could be available for as little as £3m and has bags of PL experience, lives in the area, is good at getting forward (big step up on Taylor) and would also cover a problem position. 
  • One or two good young foreign signings.  What has worked very well for us in the past is Scandanavian/Northern European CBs - their mentality is similar to British and they have an excellent work ethic.  You could maybe squeeze Kongolo into this category.  We also signed well a few years back when we bought the three french players, who have all gone on to have strong careers, but Tactics Tim didn't know how to/want to use them properly.  Nakamba, whilst I can't claim to have ever seen or heard of him, appears to follow the trend for successful African descent DCMs, like Kante etc., with high energy and an appetite for work.  The challenge here is clearly the settling in process - we don't have the luxury of time on our side and need signings to hit the ground running.

What is evident in this process is that I genuinely believe that, this time, we have a management team/infrastructure that gets it, has a plan and that plan appears to stack up.  A philiosophy/style of play that is joined up (not like Tactics Tim and the two moneyball guys with opposing transfer picks or MON buying players for good value and then letting them rot without games) and understood and will form the basis of the strategy for new signings.  I think we are in the best position we have been for a number of years and I'm looking forward to seeing what Smith can do here.  He consistently overachieved with Brentford, playing front foot football and uncovering gems, whilst operating on a much smaller budget than others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

2016-2017 - 2 promoted teams relegated in their 1st season (boro + hull)

2017-2018 - all stayed up to be fair, but 2 of the 3 struggled and still are...1 just escaped relegation (brighton) last season and 1 was relegated (huddersfield)

2018-2019 - 2 promoted teams relegated in their 1st season (fulham + cardiff)

the step up is huge, in my opinion. the likes of bournemouth can cut it with the best of them and are a match for anyone in the league on their day...they finished 14th

No monies spent, other than Fulham, who spent in a strategically poor way and alienated the good players that had got them there.  We will not do that: Jack and McGinn will start in CM; Mings, if he returns, will be our starting CB; Steer may not start but he knows he is important and has a future here; El Ghazi has been signed and will be an important player; Hourihane will be upgraded as a DCM but will still be an important part of the squad.  They are also "Championship" clubs - we are not. We are a PL club that has taken a break.  We have a management team - throughout the club - that knows where it is going and a PL identity.  The margins are fine in the relegation battle - there were a number of clubs involved until late on - and we just have to be better than the bottom three.  Newcastle have done this on a shoestring and with no plan, other than lets hold on to Rafa for as long as we can/until we can sell.

Lets have more faith in the team at Villa Park.

• Like 3