Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst I agree 20m is a lot of money for a second tier player. Out of a interest which leagues do you feel a player should have played at before it’s justified to spend 20 million on them? 

The championship is a lot stronger than the Belgium league so I take it you both disagree with the Wesley signing and feel we’ve spent way too much?

Is it?

Actual question since I've not followed Belgian club football closely since the days of Pär Zetterberg.

Just think there is a tendency to piss on every league outside of England, they are all crap apparently.

While the Championship is apparently better than all but the top 6 teams in the PL...

No doubt the Championship is better now with the PL money trickling down and clubs can afford to hire better managers and players, but much of the football I've seen in it is still woeful.

There have been a few sides every season that have played some nice stuff thou.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst I agree 20m is a lot of money for a second tier player. Out of a interest which leagues do you feel a player should have played at before it’s justified to spend 20 million on them? 

The championship is a lot stronger than the Belgium league so I take it you both disagree with the Wesley signing and feel we’ve spent way too much?

A top striker will always be more expensive. You will pay 20m in either league these days. CB’s or DM’s 15m tops

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Is it?

Actual question since I've not followed Belgian club football closely since the days of Pär Zetterberg.

Just think there is a tendency to piss on every league outside of England, they are all crap apparently.

While the Championship is apparently better than all but the top 6 teams in the PL...

No doubt the Championship is better now with the PL money trickling down and clubs can afford to hire better managers and players, but much of the football I've seen in it is still woeful.

There have been a few sides every season that have played some nice stuff thou.

I’d be suprised if it wasn’t considering the money involved.

I think there's no hard and fast infallible rules to this shit. I don't think you can say that signing championship players means they'll struggle and I don't think signing premier league playes is any guarantee of staying up. There's no guarantee someone from another league will adapt but there are oodles of examples of teams signing from abroad getting great value and unearthing serious talent.

There will be a good blend to be found regardless of where the signings come from, I'm hoping that now we have a set up whereby we are signing players with the attributes the head coach wants to build a balanced squad, with the skills necessary to play to the desired system and the potential to improve. I don't think we should be worried about what league they play in currently if we have the right people in place to make a sound judgement on the players' ability to improve us and to give Smith the tools he needs to play the football he wants at the standard he needs. 

If that means signing a £20m Championship player, then so be it, if it works and they have just one good season in the top flight they'll be worth £10m more anyway. If it fails we won't be left with a 32 year old with 2 years left on their contract on high wages that no-one will want. It's a huge rebuild job it will take time to get all the pieces together.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

A team full of the best 11 championship players from last season would comfortably finish in the top 12 in the premier league. 

So based on what your saying we would be spending over 100m on players that have never played in the premier league yet we will finish in the top 12.

For every Madison there is also a Joe Bryan. Look at sessagnon absolutely smashed in championship and flopped badly in premier league.

57 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't know anything about Wesley just YouTube videos.  However he has champions league experience and scored there so I guess that could justify the figure.

20m on players like kalvin Phillips and benrama who are talented players but have not played premier league before for me is poor value for .money.massive step up from championship to premier league.  You are playing against some of the best players in the world.

I think you start hitting 20m tops for top three championship sides who have been unbelievably good for more than one season 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

You mean 20m plus signings from Championship?  

So do you think we’ve been totally robbed for the signing of Wesley. He is only the 2nd 20m+ player sold from Belgium top league. 

See above about wesley

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't know anything about Wesley just YouTube videos.  However he has champions league experience and scored there so I guess that could justify the figure.

20m on players like kalvin Phillips and benrama who are talented players but have not played premier league before for me is poor value for .money.massive step up from championship to premier league.  You are playing against some of the best players in the world.

I think you start hitting 20m tops for top three championship sides who have been unbelievably good for more than one season 

He has only played champions league football because he is in a shit league so can qualify on that basis.

edit: Over the years a lot of Celtic players have played in the champions league too. Did that increase their value?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So based on what your saying we would be spending over 100m on players that have never played in the premier league yet we will finish in the top 12.

For every Madison there is also a Joe Bryan. Look at sessagnon absolutely smashed in championship and flopped badly in premier league.

Do you honestly believe we will start the season with a team of experienced premier league players? The only way that would happen is if we went down the route of signing the older players like Austin. 

Regardless of where our players come from and the amount we spend. I doubt there will be that much Premier League experience. I would argue a player from the championship is much more equipped to deal with the premier league than a player from Europe.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

A team full of the best 11 championship players from last season would comfortably finish in the top 12 in the premier league. 

I agree with this.

How many of the team would be loan players from Premier League teams?

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He has only played champions league football because he is in a shit league so can qualify on that basis.

edit: Over the years a lot of Celtic players have played in the champions league too. Did that increase their value?

Erm yes. Rangers for example want 15-20m for government

Celtic sold dembele for 20m to lyon? 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Do you honestly believe we will start the season with a team of experienced premier league players? The only way that would happen is if we went down the route of signing the older players like Austin. 

Regardless of where our players come from and the amount we spend. I doubt there will be that much Premier League experience. I would argue a player from the championship is much more equipped to deal with the premier league than a player from Europe.

I believe there will be a mix.some champion ship and one or two premier league signings with some gems abroad.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree with this.

How many of the team would be loan players from Premier League teams?

I don't agree. In theory yes but it's not easy just taking 11 of the best from the championship put them together and then become mid table. 

It's a massive step up.

Just have to look at us. We played terrible football for almost half the season. Spent half the season with only 1 CB (who was injured) in the squad and had to build almost a new team in January.

And we still went up thanks to Smith and a stellar finish to the season.

Doesn't scream world class league to me.

For the most part the Championship is uneven with some gems in it.

It may be the best 2nd division thou in competition with 2nd Bundesliga.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Erm yes. Rangers for example want 15-20m for government

Celtic sold dembele for 20m to lyon? 

I think paying way over the odds for a player just because he managed to play in the champions league due to the quality of their own league is very poor business. 

maybe we should try and sign some Qurabag players. 

But each to their own. 

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Just have to look at us. We played terrible football for almost half the season. Spent half the season with only 1 CB (who was injured) in the squad and had to build almost a new team in January.

And we still went up thanks to Smith and a stellar finish to the season.

Doesn't scream world class league to me.

For the most part the Championship is uneven with some gems in it.

It may be the best 2nd division thou in competition with 2nd Bundesliga.

Nobody’s saying it’s world class. Far from it. It’s just a very difficult league to play in. The pace, intensity and shit refs means you have to work your ass off to succeed. 

Look at El Ghazi as a good example. He came in to the league thinking he could run the show. He got a rude awakening and has publically admitted how difficult he found it and had to adapt.  He is now much more equipped for the Premier League than he would have been had he come straight from Lille.