Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

4 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Personally I think the 'step up' to the prem is overblown. I think there is very little difference really between the top 6 of the championship and bottom 6 of prem, and there are plenty of players in the championship who would shine in better quality prem teams. Just because you come through a premier league academy or from a foreign league does not make you better than those rising up the EFL pyramid. It's a shame that championship teams have figured this out and are pricing their top players accordingly, so the bargains are few and far between now.

Exactly. On the one hand  some fans are saying championship players aren’t good enough. On the other hand they are saying Grealish is worth 60 million and they desperately want to sign Mings and Axel. 

The only reason to go abroad is value for money. 

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Josip Drmić on a free please.  Struggled to properly kick-on from his breakthrough Nürnberg season all those years ago but always seems to pop-up with clutch goals off the bench and can play across the entirety of a front 3.  Initial paper talk has him linked to Norwich, I wouldn't have him ahead of the likes of an El Ghazi and he did have some bad injuries a few years ago (that he seems to have finally shaken off) but I do think we could do much, much worse in terms of padding out the squad on the cheap.

Good, good shout Gareth!

I think Drmić is a good player and no brainier on a free transfer

Another good player currently on a  free too is Donis Avdijaj

He is only 22 (ex Willem II & Schalke) Could be worth a chance and let Deano work his magic on him and sort his attitude out his attitude is very similar to a younger Marko Arnautovic.

Edited by Villan4Life

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

hmm, is he any good?

He was a couple of seasons ago, I remember him tearing Liverpool a new one at Anfield in one of the cups, but a couple of injuries and a change in Wolves formation have seen his stock fall considerably there the last few seasons.

I think it would depend on price, Wolves paid £13.5m for him and would be looking for the same back at least, I think that's a bit of a risk for an out of form player, so it depends how much we back ourselves to get the best out of him, he'd certainly fit our formation.

If they ask for £20m like every other player we seem to be linked with, then no thanks.

• Like 1

I honestly don’t expect Suso to blow the doors off, this window is surely about buying replacement players of the right age and potential that are better than those who have left, not world beaters. We just can’t do everything we would like this window as there is so much work to do. 

My only hope is we buy very good 22-26y.o. players who grow with the club. If we go down we will be better placed to return immediately and won’t fear losing half the team. I also don’t really want loans. To think of the money we have wasted on poor transfers over the past 8-10 years is shocking, we literally have nothing to show for it.

Hélder Costa and  Ivan Cavaleiro have both played for the same clubs at the same time, Benfica, Deportivo La Coruña, Monaco, and Wolves, and now there's rumours of them both going to Leeds. In way I suppose that works as another warning against spending big money on any old championship player, as those two this time last year would have cost a lot of money, and both would have been expected to make a big impact in the Premier league.

Just now, useless said:

Hélder Costa and  Ivan Cavaleiro have both played for the same clubs at the same time, Benfica, Deportivo La Coruña, Monaco, and Wolves, and now there's rumours of them both going to Leeds. In way I suppose that works as another warning against spending big money on any old championship player, as those two this time last year would have cost a lot of money, and both would have been expected to make a big impact in the Premier league.

You think so? After what I saw of them both in Wolves promotion season I wouldn’t have expected them to make a big impact. Decent squad players but not a big impact.

I think part of the problem is some of the major leagues like Spain, Germany, Italy and Portugal don't open their transfer windows until July I believe, so may be unwilling to sell players before they have replacements signed up.  I'm not even sure if they are allowed to sell players until then.  Hence why we keep getting linked to domestic, often Championship players.  

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think part of the problem is some of the major leagues like Spain, Germany, Italy and Portugal don't open their transfer windows until July I believe, so may be unwilling to sell players before they have replacements signed up.  I'm not even sure if they are allowed to sell players until then.  Hence why we keep getting linked to domestic, often Championship players.  

mental really how France, Germany, Spain transfer window opens on 1st July and closes on 2nd Sept, while ours opens 17th May and closes 9th August.

Pre-season window Mid-season window Associations
1 January – 31 March 14 July – 13 August Brazil
5 January – 29 March 15 July – 14 August Japan
8 January – 31 March 15 July – 11 August Sweden
9 January – 1 April 1–31 August Norway
7 February – 1 May 10 July – 8 August United States and Canada
1 March – 30 April 1–31 August Finland
1 June – 18 August 1 January – 19 January Albania
1 June – 18 August 3 January – 31 January Italy
1 July – 2 September 1 January – 2 February France,Germany, Spain
17 May – 9 August 1 January – 31 January England
9 June – 1 September 1 January – 1 February Scotland
11 June – 1 September 5–31 January Turkey, Denmark
11 June – 2 September 3–31 January Netherlands
16 June – 8 September 25 January – 22 February Bulgaria and Romania
17 June – 6 September 28 January – 28 February Russia
24 July – 15 October 3 January – 31 January Australia
1 December – 31 January 1–30 June Kenya, Uganda
Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I honestly don’t expect Suso to blow the doors off, this window is surely about buying replacement players of the right age and potential that are better than those who have left, not world beaters. We just can’t do everything we would like this window as there is so much work to do. 

My only hope is we buy very good 22-26y.o. players who grow with the club. If we go down we will be better placed to return immediately and won’t fear losing half the team. I also don’t really want loans. To think of the money we have wasted on poor transfers over the past 8-10 years is shocking, we literally have nothing to show for it.

We can’t afford to go back down, we were lucky this time.  If it happens again then we are going to be so far away.  This window Suso has to blow the doors off. I’m not saying buying silly players but buy quality from the championship and then a couple of real quality signings.  

Buying just replacement players even if young is incredibly dangerous I believe, just as going wild and buying whoever and however is dangerous.  We have to be aiming for somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

Costa picked up an injury in their promotion season, but he still made a contribution, and there was an expectation that with a preseason behind him he could get back to his old form, which had seen him linked to a big money move to the Premier league in the media. And Cavaleiro scored nine goals and got twelves assists in the league when they were promoted, he was easily one of their best players.

Costa looked a world beater back in 16/17 season, he pretty much kept us up on his own.

I don't think he's ever recovered from his ankle injury and his confidence looks shot to me.  If he gets a kick in a game he's pretty much done, but he still has it in his locker.  Caused United loads of issues at Old Trafford last season, and scored a great goal at Wembley against Spurs.

If a team can get the old Costa back they'll have a bargain.  I hope someone does for his sake.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Costa picked up an injury in their promotion season, but he still made a contribution, and there was an expectation that with a preseason behind him he could get back to his old form, which had seen him linked to a big money move to the Premier league in the media. And Cavaleiro scored nine goals and got twelves assists in the league when they were promoted, he was easily one of their best players.

To be fair mate Hourihane has similar stats but I don’t expect him to do big things in the top flight. Caraleiro never looked that impressive to me. Saying that he still played 23 games and scored 5 goals last season. 

Costa I agree looked quality his first season. Never been the same after his injury.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair mate Hourihane has similar stats but I don’t expect him to do big things in the top flight. Caraleiro never looked that impressive to me. Saying that he still played 23 games and scored 5 goals last season. 

Costa I agree looked quality his first season. Never been the same after his injury.

I think Hourihane will do ok in the PL. if you look at his career he’s done better and better with better players around him, perhaps he’s reached his limit in the top of the Championship but I think with a solid defence behind him and good forwards he’ll do well.

Sorry for the OT, should have posted in the Hourihane thread