Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think he’s out of our league then?

I doubt spurs would go for him, so we are essentially competing with West Ham and Wolves which is where we should be aiming imo. Maybe a bit soon to aim that high, but hes still fairly young and would fit into the mould of what the club is trying to acheive.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

His father is an ex Leeds player.

Ugh.

No, no, it’s Inge.

Ugh was a Small Heath player. Long hair, wore a lot of fur and ran around with a club in his hand.

4 hours ago, Thug said:

I find it incredible with people turning their noses up at championship players, and in the very same paragraph state how we should be signing Tuanzebe, Abraham, Mings, and saying the Grealish and McGinn will be the spine of our team.

i hate to break it to you, but McGinn, and Grealish and the others have just performed well in the CHAMPIONSHIP.

I’ll take a right winger that scored 11, and created 10 goals and looks a quality player from the championship, who knows the country, and loves the club over someone who just happens to be Spanish.

I don’t think anyone wants to sign an alternative just because they’re Spanish. But of course you know that. It’s more to do with getting better players for the large outlay. 

Didn’t Shaqiri go for about £15m last year? Shaqiri or Lolley?

(Odd example, I know, as Shaqiri can be headless at times, but the point is a Swiss international, proven Prem player that has reached the Champions League Final, or a Villa fan that barely made his mark in the Prem when he was with Huddersfield, but has done well in the Championship?)

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don’t think anyone wants to sign an alternative just because they’re Spanish. But of course you know that. It’s more to do with getting better players for the large outlay. 

(Odd example, I know, as Shaqiri can be headless at times, but the point is a Swiss international, proven Prem player that has reached the Champions League Final, or a Villa fan that barely made his mark in the Prem when he was with Huddersfield, but has done well in the Championship?)

Lolly is definitely more of a punt, i think he would do decent but is that what were looking for? It all depends on the ambitions of the owners.

I don’t mind the odd Championship player, but they have to be literally the best in this league. Then some players from abroad who are probably more of a gamble, but ones who have done well in top European leagues, and maybe the odd youngster with promise.

And id like to see a couple of PL signings, like for the DM role. Can’t think who, but it would be worth investing well in that area.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

I just read a rumour that we after Dwight Gayle 😭 can someone please tell me this absolute nonsense??

I don't think I'm alone, but I really really don't want that muppet anywhere near our club!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

If our first team looks like that for the opening game... well, at least we'll be prepared for the Championship the following season.

How do you expect it to look or want it to look (realistically)? 

26 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I'd sign Lolley all day. 

• Like 1

I think it's interesting to see the players we're being linked with at the moment. It's pretty clear that no one has any real idea where we're going to be pitching our market - we've been linked to Batshuayi and with Sheffield Wednesday's back up striker, we're being linked with good players from the Championship, but I suspect that's because we're seen as a Championship club coming up, we're being linked with players from abroad, but I think those are easy links from agents looking to put their player into the spotlight. At this point, with the exception of the loan players, I don't think anyone has a clue who we're looking at.

Purslow has spoken about patience and about taking time to find the right players, I think that's what we'll do. I'd ignore any and all the links over the next couple of weeks with the possible exception of those for players that have been here this season.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I'd sign Lolley all day. 

I love the journey that Joe has been on, but he’s 26 and this is the first season that he’s scored 10+ goals. Maybe I’m aiming for players that we can’t realistically get, but I look at players that Southampton bought in their early Premier League seasons and those are the types of players I want us looking at. ‘Bargain’ buys that have the potential to become Top 6 players. I don’t see that in Lolley. I think he has the ability to go up a gear, but I can only see him going as far as a bottom half Prem team. 

That’s before we even mention that he signed a new deal at Forest so will probably cost £15m.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be overly concerned about signing 8 or 9 players this summer, as long as it's a mix of first teamers and squad players.

Fulham's problem wasn't the number of players they signed, it was the scattergun approach they took to recruitment where it didn't really seem like they had a plan. Smith knows what the squad will need and will still have plenty of time during pre-season to get the squad to gel.

As others have said, we have a European scouting team so looking predominantly at the league we just came would be a bit odd.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

I wouldn't be overly concerned about signing 8 or 9 players this summer, as long as it's a mix of first teamers and squad players.

Fulham's problem wasn't the number of players they signed, it was the scattergun approach they took to recruitment where it didn't really seem like they had a plan. Smith knows what the squad will need and will still have plenty of time during pre-season to get the squad to gel.

As others have said, we have a European scouting team so looking predominantly at the league we just came would be a bit odd.

I’d trust Smith wherever he looks for recruits, his ability to find a player and transform them almost instantly is what sets him apart as a manager in my opinion 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What is our transfer records out of interest? Is it still Darren Bent? 

Yep. That will go this summer I reckon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I just read a rumour that we after Dwight Gayle 😭 can someone please tell me this absolute nonsense??

I don't think I'm alone, but I really really don't want that muppet anywhere near our club!

Relax. It's a load of bollocks. And you're definitely not alone.

• Like 1

I love that people trust out current setup, but I genuinly hope we can remember all of this when we have bad form next season. 

In fact I wish someone could make a thread about where we were. What happened. What people said about Deano in February and what they said after pur 10 match unbeaten run.  Thus we could bump the thread and try an rationalize the fan base when things get tough again, instead of knee jerk reactions. 

• Like 3

I know he’s being linked with some of the top 6 but I would love us to make a move for Ryan Fraser, he completely fits the profile of what Purslow talked about in that interview and would definitely see us as a step up from Bournemouth