Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

51 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Jailed for affray, yes. It might be worth checking out the interview he did before the FA cup final if for no other reason just to hear a footballer speak in a way footballers simply do not speak. He covers that period, his difficult youth in Chelmsley Wood and a multitude of interesting things. I've always found him refreshingly honest and articulate and not afraid to speak his mind.

I genuinely think he is a class act, that wasn't a flippant comment. I personally despise this idea of footballers as role models for example, and when this was trotted out to Deeney during an interview once, his completely honest reaction, unafraid of the inevitable wave of criticism on social media etc., kind of confirmed to me what an unusually thoughtful footballer he is.

He really isn't a class act. Him and his brother or mate smacked an 18 year old kid who was with his girlfriend in a club on Broad St last year thinking the kid was taking photos of him(like he's that important). The kid is a Villa fan and a strip of piss by the way, and the loveliest lad you could meet. Ended up with a black eye for no reason. So when you say class act do you mean the way he comes across that way or do you know him? I'm genuinely interested and not looking to argue with you in anyway.

We all go through turmoil in our lives, some more than others. My upbringing was similar to his without the drug dealing old man. Mine was an alcoholic instead. And I did my fair share of getting into trouble in my youth too being raised in the city centre. However smacking non threatening scrawny young lads when your a grown bloke and in a group isn't the action of an individual that is classy in anyway. 

Most people are capable of being thoughtful and articulate when it suits them. Actions are what truly determines a persons character though. Sorry for the off topic post.  

• Like 3

Hmmm... I'd be worried about Tuanzebe's injury record for that amount of money.

I do rate him highly and I think he's a brilliant footballer. But he has been injured a lot for us over the past 2 seasons.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, useless said:

No thanks to all these championship players, buy too many and you will end up with a championship team. Here's an interesting thing to think about... Amadou Diawara.

Was that the guy we nearly signed from Bologna early in the very brief RDM era? He went on to Napoli and is squad player there.

19 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

He really isn't a class act. Him and his brother or mate smacked an 18 year old kid who was with his girlfriend in a club on Broad St last year thinking the kid was taking photos of him(like he's that important). The kid is a Villa fan and a strip of piss by the way, and the loveliest lad you could meet. Ended up with a black eye for no reason. So when you say class act do you mean the way he comes across that way or do you know him? I'm genuinely interested and not looking to argue with you in anyway.

We all go through turmoil in our lives, some more than others. My upbringing was similar to his without the drug dealing old man. Mine was an alcoholic instead. And I did my fair share of getting into trouble in my youth too being raised in the city centre. However smacking non threatening scrawny young lads when your a grown bloke and in a group isn't the action of an individual that is classy in anyway. 

Most people are capable of being thoughtful and articulate when it suits them. Actions are what truly determines a persons character though. Sorry for the off topic post.  

I don't know him personally no. Have to take your word for that mate I guess. Surprised that the lad or one of his friends or anyone in the club didn't report him if that was the case, as that sounds quite savage, or that such an event wouldn't have made the news and landed him in enormous trouble, given his previous. Anyway, I'm only going on what I've read about him, his interviews over the years and the more recent, in-depth look at his life by the BBC and Telegraph etc. not personal experience.

Midfield is probably the area we need least work, Jack and McGinn are obviously sticks ons to start and we have Hourihane and (probably) Whelan as back ups. Fully expect El Ghazi to be signed full time.

What would be great is signing a quality DM from europe. Wolves getting in Joao Moutinho for about 5m last year was one of the signings of the summer. I know it was easy with their links to Jorge Mendes but still that's a promoted club that meant business. Signed a guy with nearly 100 portugal caps and endless seasons in the champions league.

That's the sort of ambition I'd like to see from us. Yes sign 2-3 from the championship to develop but have to say I'm amazed at people's list comprising solely of championship players, feels like we're back in 2009 with MON. Given we actually have a Spanish DOF I really can't believe we'll just be shopping domestically this summer.

I remember in January we were linked with Lobotka from Celta Vigo (don't think he qualified for a work permit) and also a player for Levante so maybe we'll look at those targets again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Do we have anyone who watches a lot of European/World Football that could suggest up-and-coming players in the ‘next big thing’ (but not the ridiculously highly rated) mould?

Of the names linked so far (excluding the promising youngsters like Aribo/Justin) Maupay is the only one I like, and that’s only because of his return of 25 goals this season. I understand why people like Lolley, Bowen, Phillips and the like, but I just think that our recruitment team will look further than the league we’ve just left :rolleyes:

I’ve just done a quick search of some of the top scorers in foreign leagues, to provide an alternative angle (baring in mind that I’ve never watched these players) on our striker possibilities.

Nicholas Pepe - Lille - 24yrs old - 22 goals

Luka Jovic - Frankfurt - 21yrs old - 17 goals

Andrea Belotti - Torino - 25yrs old - 23 goals

Andrea Petagna - SPAL - 23yrs old - 16 goals

Borja Iglesias - Espanyol - 26yrs old - 17 goals

Adrian Dalmau - Heracles - 25yrs old - 19 goals

Sam Lammers - Heerenveen - 22yrs old - 16 goals

Jovic is going to Real Madrid- 50m.

Pepe being linked to likes of Bayern Munich.

Belotti was incredible a few years back. 25 goals in Serie A. Still scores at a steady rate but stock dipped a bit. Think he'll end up at one of the Milan clubs personally. I'd actually be looking at his club mate Iago Falque. He plays wide in their front 3 (although was on their bench a bit in the run in) and has scored 30 league goals in last 3 seasons which is very good for wide attacker. Was at Spurs as a youngster so knows English football aswell.

Dutch league is very hit and miss for strikers as we've seen over the years. Don't know the bottom two but Jorgensen at Feyenoord has a very good scoring record and he's 28 now so probably should be moving to bigger league. Nearly joined Newcastle last season although I remember he didn't really do much in last WC so not sure if he'd be that effective in premier league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I don't know him personally no. Have to take your word for that mate I guess. Surprised that the lad or one of his friends or anyone in the club didn't report him if that was the case, as that sounds quite savage, or that such an event wouldn't have made the news and landed him in enormous trouble, given his previous. Anyway, I'm only going on what I've read about him, his interviews over the years and the more recent, in-depth look at his life by the BBC and Telegraph etc. not personal experience.

Well it's the truth. I saw the damage first hand. The club didn't want the aggro so funnily enough they didn't have the incident footage just the foyer camera was working?! Anyway without going into the details of the whole incident. There wasn't enough evidence to prosecute. Believe me it happened though and he threw the first of many punches at a lad that couldn't and wouldn't retaliate. 

Anyway thankfully he wont end up down the Villa. 

We have a lot of positions to fill but arguably the DM is going to be our most important one given how we play. Still not sure conor is our solution, even if he is we need a new backup.

I found this interesting. Not that we are like Man City but outlining why the role is so important for them and I would argue, us. Grealish & McGinn are at their best when attacking. that means we need a player at least as good as them to cover and distribute.

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Probably unattainable but I would love us to go for Deulofeu, the lad is quality and would majorly strengthen us.

Great shout, I think he’s fantastic but he probably has higher aspirations than us i.e Barcelona 

• Like 1

If we really want to add some quality and show a statement of intent we should move for Keita Balde asap. Hes open to a move to the premier league, what you guys think?

Edited by jasoncb
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jasoncb said:

If we really want to add some quality and show a statement of intent we should move for Keita Baldé asap. Hes open to a move to the premier league, what you guys think?

Overrated and a bad egg AFAIK. 

1 hour ago, jasoncb said:

If we really want to add some quality and show a statement of intent we should move for Keita Balde asap. Hes open to a move to the premier league, what you guys think?

Never heard of him before but he looks class, according to wiki (sigh), Inter Milan have a £30m option to buy him at the end of the season :(

20 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Never heard of him before but he looks class, according to wiki (sigh), Inter Milan have a £30m option to buy him at the end of the season :(

From what i have read Monaco need to get him off their books. I doubt Inter are going to be purchasing him since a new manager is coming in and they seem to be pursuing Lukaku. His buyout is actually €30m so i reckon a bid of £20m (or even less) would be reasonable considering hes not had a great season at Inter. Pochettino, Nuno and Pellegrini seem to be admirers of him.

Edited by jasoncb

3 minutes ago, jasoncb said:

From what i have read Monaco need to get him off their books. I doubt Inter are going to be purchasing him since a new manager is coming in and they seem to be pursuing Lukaku. His buyout is actually €30m so i reckon a bid of £20m would be reasonable considering hes not had a great season at Inter. Pochettino, Nuno and Pellegrini seem to be admirers of him.

Do you think he’s out of our league then?