Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

39 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Guardian football weekly think Villa won't have much to spend- don't think they realise the value of the owners. That's fine the less the media know about us the better. we will  just get on with the business of planning for next season.

Out of the players we know are leaving  (incl Richards, Bunn, de Laet on top of Hutts, Jedi, Tommy & Albert), and the loan players we've had this season (Incl. Moreira and Bolasie) - I could see this being wages of between £20m - £25m off our wage bill from this season. 

Take off this some increases for promotion, I reckon we could still sign 5 or 6 very good PL players without increasing our wage bill on last season's - which was quite high for a championship club but very low for a premier league club.

I'm sure sponsorships will increase and we'll get a lot of TV time this year meaning more income. 

We might need to go big on a striker, but offset Hause (£2m? and £20k pw?) and I think we are looking pretty good budget wise.

I know we need more than 5 or 6 new players; its the extra income we will have this season (£100m?) to pay transfers and the 3 or 4 extra players.

Edited by Pez1974

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Lots of people including Guilbert in their PL starting 11s at RB, is he actually any good? As in, better than Elmo as I do think Elmo did very well for us this year, esp the end run.

I haven't seen much of him but he is highly rated. I believe he was in the Ligue 1 team of the season last year, was doing really well this until he 'signed' for Villa.

From what I have read he's a very good all rounder. This is an interesting write up... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballfancast.com/championship/aston-villa/the-chalkboard-how-frederic-guilbert-can-benefit-aston-villa-in-the-premier-league/amp

Yet, Guilbert is a player who can easily surpass him next campaign. The 24-year-old had a brilliant season in France despite Caen’s relegation and the experience he gained from a relegation battle could prove important in the Premier League.

It’s unlikely Villa be one of the favourites to go down but they’ll certainly need a defender that can keep their concentration.

The French defender is someone who is able to do that, something that’s particularly evident in the numbers he’s averaged in terms of stats. In Ligue 1 this term he made 2.9 tackles per game, the nearest defender in the Villa side to that is Neil Taylor who won on average 1.7.

As for interceptions, Guilbert made 2.3 interceptions per match. To put that into context, Tyrone Mings made 1.2.

More on link 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think Hause will cost a lot more than £2m

I thought we had a price agreed when he signed on loan? At the time we didn't look like getting promoted so I would expect it to be pretty low.

Of course there could have been a championship price and a PL price.

22 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think Hause will cost a lot more than £2m

9 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I thought we had a price agreed when he signed on loan? At the time we didn't look like getting promoted so I would expect it to be pretty low.

Of course there could have been a championship price and a PL price.

There's definitely a buy out clause. When we signed him it was mentioned alongside a lot of the recent interviews have referred to us having an option. The £2million figure was bandied around a lot in January IIRC but we definitely have something agreed. I don't think he is fancied at Wolves, which is fine by me :).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I very much doubt we’ll spend £100m, with the owners, I expect us to be prudent

Considering the amount of players that we need (loanees signed permanently, CM, ST, LB, RW and squad backups), I think being prudent could still result in roughly £100m spent.

Mings £15m, El Ghazi £5m & Hause £2.5m. That's £22.5m to not evenstand still (based on the assumption that we won't have Tammy or Tuanzebe back). Even if we bought a CM, ST, LB, RW and 4 squad players for £10m each, that still adds up to £100m..... and you often don't get much for £10m nowadays!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I haven't seen much of him but he is highly rated. I believe he was in the Ligue 1 team of the season last year, was doing really well this until he 'signed' for Villa.

From what I have read he's a very good all rounder. This is an interesting write up... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballfancast.com/championship/aston-villa/the-chalkboard-how-frederic-guilbert-can-benefit-aston-villa-in-the-premier-league/amp

More on link 👍

Thanks! Interesting article.

Don't forget we'll have fewer games to play this season lads - we've had issues with bloated squads before and you can't have equal quality in the first team and on the bench. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Don't forget we'll have fewer games to play this season lads - we've had issues with bloated squads before and you can't have equal quality in the first team and on the bench. 

2 players for each position IMO. Should any youth force their way into your plans, great, but never count on it. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's okay not having the same quality on the bench, but the problem is with all the players we're about to release we don't have a bench...

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

I calculate circa £100m but am hoping we could get circa £20m back in with the sales of Kodjia, Hogan, Taylor, Elmo and Nyland.

I mean you can hope but there's an argument for Kodjia, Elmo and Taylor staying, I can't see anyone taking Hogans wages off us permanently, at least not for a decent sum and I think Nyland will be difficult to shift with his injury and recent reputation.

6 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

It's okay not having the same quality on the bench, but the problem is with all the players we're about to release we don't have a bench...

We still have three keepers and:

Taylor, Chester, Elmo, Bree, Hourihane, Lansbury, Gardner (well), Grealish, McGin, Green, Kodjia, Davis and Hogan (which I hope we can get something for him).

I know most of them aren’t quality but there could be a good squad fillers out of them.

We can’t do everything at once. I won’t mind keeping Kodjia as a number 2 striker till January for example. As we still need to defender (I would be happy with Mings, House and a rcb). With a proper LB. thats 4 signings just for defence.

we still need a DM, RW, El Ghazi and a striker. Those are another 4. I wouldn’t say no to look at a bargain who could do some of what Grealish does.

Thats 9 players, 7 of them are potentially starters. I don’t think we can afford to spend too much for squad players. House and a similar signing for the midfield would do for now I guess.