Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just to clarify I am not on some sort of commission with the football league for suggesting a whole host of Championship players that we should sign ;) Far from it.

The names I have mentioned are just ones that I think can definitely make the step up, are young, ambitious and could grow with what we have already got. Players that we can improve and will not lose money on or players that are coming for one last pay check.

First things first, our concentration, for me, should be to try tie up the deals for El Ghazi, Mings, Hause and Tuanzebe, with the latter being probably the hardest acquisition. It is vital that we keep the strong nucleus of our team to keep the dressing room spirit that we have from the season gone. We then need to add to it with real quality and replace the weak links within our squad.

I don't for one minute think that we will get (or go for) every decent championship player, but I see no harm in one or two if they are of real quality, hungry for success and are capable of the step up and are the right character to have within the dressing room. 

I realise that the market abroad is a lot more cost effective and I am sure we are searching wide and far for some hidden gems to find are own Bernado Silva or Riyad Mahrez and I would be concerned if our scouting network wasn't. 

I feel any signing made can come with a degree of uncertainty, we've had terrible signings going down the foreign route with the likes of Tonev, Helenius ETC but also wasted huge amounts on the likes of McCormack and Gestede from Championship teams.

All that said, watching the video of Smith and Purslow makes me feel confident that we are in the right hands and it is going to be an exciting summer ahead.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I wouldn't be overly concerned about signing 8 or 9 players this summer, as long as it's a mix of first teamers and squad players.

Fulham's problem wasn't the number of players they signed, it was the scattergun approach they took to recruitment where it didn't really seem like they had a plan. Smith knows what the squad will need and will still have plenty of time during pre-season to get the squad to gel.

As others have said, we have a European scouting team so looking predominantly at the league we just came would be a bit odd.

I agree. They were a bit like us the year we went down and then the first year in the championship. Signed loads of players (some decent) without a plan on how to play them all.  

Then it was chop and change every week until something clicked (or didn’t click in this case).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

How do you expect it to look or want it to look (realistically)? 

I think buying from the Championship or League 1 is just dangerous. It's far too risky, especially when a number of them are expensive. 

We should be buying 2 players tops that are only proven at a lower level, and I include Mings in that. All the mentally and youth in the world isn't going to overcome experience and quality IMO. 

If we're bringing in 6/7 players, then I'd only want to see 2 from the likes of Mings/Lolley/Maupay. A couple of experienced PL players, then try and get value on foreign quality. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I love that people trust out current setup, but I genuinly hope we can remember all of this when we have bad form next season. 

In fact I wish someone could make a thread about where we were. What happened. What people said about Deano in February and what they said after pur 10 match unbeaten run.  Thus we could bump the thread and try an rationalize the fan base when things get tough again, instead of knee jerk reactions. 

I think this is a good shout. Might be seen us targeting posters though. 

6 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think buying from the Championship or League 1 is just dangerous. It's far too risky, especially when a number of them are expensive. 

We should be buying 2 players tops that are only proven at a lower level, and I include Mings in that. All the mentally and youth in the world isn't going to overcome experience and quality IMO. 

If we're bringing in 6/7 players, then I'd only want to see 2 from the likes of Mings/Lolley/Maupay. A couple of experienced PL players, then try and get value on foreign quality. 

I agree, I have said in previous posts that we shouldn't just be looking solely in the championship, I just want players that fit in and improve our squad, regardless of the league they play in or their nationality. 

13 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I'd like to see something like this by the end of the window;

First choice XI       Second String

Steer                       Kalinic

Guilbert                  Elmohamady

New LB                  Hause

Tuanzebe             Chester

Mings                   Schindler 

Bowen                  Murphy

Phillips                 Whelan 

McGinn                Lansbury

Grealish               Hourihane

Abraham             Maupay 

Lolley                   El Ghazi           

Other squad players or loans out;

Sarkic, Bree, Davis, O Hare, Kodjia, Green, Hepburn-Murphy

Other potential signings (or loan);

Allioski? Justin? Marriott? Mount? Tomori? Carroll? 

Sell/Release;

Nyland, Bunn, Hutton, De Laet, Taylor, Richards, McCormack, Elphick, Bjarnsson, Jedinak, Gardner, Adomah, Hogan.

I think key is keeping a good nucleus of last season's squad, adding quality first team additions, especially in wide areas, adding more youth, retaining a bit of experience & signing good characters with ambition and that are on the way up not down or here for one last pay day.

You can tell by my suggestions we've been playing in the championship a few seasons, obviously these are just suggestions which I think would make us much stronger but hoping that the scouts can pick some cheap quality foreign players up and also some decent lower league players too, whatever happens it should be an exciting summer! 

If they are considered good enough, I don't care what league they've been playing in.  If Axel can't be obtained again, then Konsa or Tomori could be good shouts. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Jovic is going to Real Madrid- 50m.

Pepe being linked to likes of Bayern Munich.

Belotti was incredible a few years back. 25 goals in Serie A. Still scores at a steady rate but stock dipped a bit. Think he'll end up at one of the Milan clubs personally. I'd actually be looking at his club mate Iago Falque. He plays wide in their front 3 (although was on their bench a bit in the run in) and has scored 30 league goals in last 3 seasons which is very good for wide attacker. Was at Spurs as a youngster so knows English football aswell.

Dutch league is very hit and miss for strikers as we've seen over the years. Don't know the bottom two but Jorgensen at Feyenoord has a very good scoring record and he's 28 now so probably should be moving to bigger league. Nearly joined Newcastle last season although I remember he didn't really do much in last WC so not sure if he'd be that effective in premier league.

Stay away from Jorgensen. The guy is slightly better than Helenius but slightly worse than McCormack. His first season at Feyenoord was great, and should've left after that. He'll never have better opportunities than that. 

His wife wouldn't approve either. Birmingham isn't "hot" enough for her. London or south of Europe for her, and she will get her way. But then again, she is type that would "allow" him to move to Birmingham if the wages were good enough. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think that if you buy the right ones out of the EFL then they can do a job in the PL as Maddison showed this season and others have before him. As in the case of Jack (sadly for Levy :D) the best don't come cheap, but I think that the likes of Bowen and Reach, for example would be likely to prove worth it.    

CB - Mings and one other - McKenna, Konsa, Tuanzebe, Cahill

LB - No idea 

RM - Lolley, Bowen

DM - Not sure but I think smith will go for a ball playing midfielder in the same vein as Sawyers

CF - Maupay

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

LB - No idea 

RM - Lolley, Bowen

DM - Not sure but I think smith will go for a ball playing midfielder in the same vein as Sawyers

CF - Maupay

Think we need more than that.

We need a defensive ball winning midfielder with legs as don’t see Jedi or Whelan being capable.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

LB - No idea 

RM - Lolley, Bowen

CF - Maupay

Not bad suggestions but too many from the Championship, the danger is we just assemble a really good Championship team which would struggle in the Premier League.

Now we're in the Premier League we're a bigger draw than more than half of the teams in the premier league, we ought to be in the race for, for lack of a better term, 'higher calibre' players.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

In several interviews the big message ive seen  is they're going to try and keep the team as close as possible to the promoted squad as possible... Now I'm unsure of how many players that means we'll bring in but I can't see it being more than 6. After Mings, El Ghazi and Hause. 

If we manage to get Abraham and Axel again I think we'll sign 5 players tops. 

5 minutes ago, soezetoc said:

Hi. 

Can anyone advise when transfer window opens .....and then "slams" shut. 

Cheers thanks in advance. 

The transfer window for domestic signings is already open, June 11 for signings from Europe and it closes two days before the start of the season.  I thought they might have scrapped the idea of closing it before the start of the season but apparently not.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

The transfer window for domestic signings is already open, June 11 for signings from Europe and it closes two days before the start of the season.  I thought they might have scrapped the idea of closing it before the start of the season but apparently not.

The transfer window never closes, it only ever slams shut! 😉

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Thanks... appreciated