Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

I get the impression that NWSE, Purslow and Smith want Villa to be a top 10 Prem team (realistic or not). I don’t see a team with that ambition buying Lolley, Bowen, Maupay and Phillips.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re good players with potential (less so for Lolley, because of his age), but you’d want all 4 of them to step up a level to perform how we’d want them to in the Premier League.

Instead of spending £10-£15m on numerous players like that, I’d hope we’d spend similar amounts on players that have proven themselves at a higher level (ie: Serie A, La Liga etc).

If we were to sign just one of those players, I think I’d go for Maupay. The French Glenn Murray. (That’s his chant nailed on, right?)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I have a suspicion all 3 of these players will find themselves plying their trade in league 1 for majority of their careers. 

Why do you think this? I think all 3 have a good chance of being regulars in our first team

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think this? I think all 3 have a good chance of being regulars in our first team

They are more "loan them out and see what they can do" type of players. The premier league is going to be tough enough without having to rely on unproven talent.

9 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I get the impression that NWSE, Purslow and Smith want Villa to be a top 10 Prem team (realistic or not). I don’t see a team with that ambition buying Lolley, Bowen, Maupay and Phillips.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re good players with potential (less so for Lolley, because of his age), but you’d want all 4 of them to step up a level to perform how we’d want them to in the Premier League.

Instead of spending £10-£15m on numerous players like that, I’d hope we’d spend similar amounts on players that have proven themselves at a higher level (ie: Serie A, La Liga etc).

If we were to sign just one of those players, I think I’d go for Maupay. The French Glenn Murray. (That’s his chant nailed on, right?)

Any names that come to mind from Serie A & La Liga?

Not being funny, I've said before my knowledge of foreign players is poor so just wondering who'd be on your radar.

4 minutes ago, jasoncb said:

They are more "loan them out and see what they can do" type of players. The premier league is going to be tough enough without having to rely on unproven talent.

The only way that we find out if they are good enough is if we put them in the squad and give them a taste of what it’s like, they might take to it, they might not, sink or swim

Hepburn-Murphy will be a really wonderful player I'm convnced of that, I don't think people realise how good he is,  you can't judge him on the chances he had under Bruce, because Bruce used him in completely the wrong way. His problem has been injuries, but if he can get a full pre-season under his belt and a loan sorted, then I think he'll begin to prove a lot of people wrong, just needs to keep his eye on the tiger.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Hepburn-Murphy will be a really wonderful player I'm convnced of that, I don't think people realise how good he is,  you can't judge him on the chances he had under Bruce, because Bruce used him in completely the wrong way. His problem has been injuries, but if he can get a full pre-season under his belt and a loan sorted, then I think he'll begin to prove a lot of people wrong, just needs to keep his eye on the tiger.

I think you are correct 

Just now, WakefieldVillan said:

Any names that come to mind from Serie A & La Liga?

Not being funny, I've said before my knowledge of foreign players is poor so just wondering who'd be on your radar.

See my post on the previous page. I have little overseas knowledge also, so instead of suggesting we sign the Championship Team of the Season, I asked for others’ input and did a little digging on some of the top goalscorers in the European leagues. :P

My post wasn’t a pop at you btw, I’ve seen numerous people on social media suggesting the same players. I just think it’s short-sighted to just go with what you’ve seen in the Championship.

• Like 1

I don't see wholesale changes on the horizon.

I do see team strengthening, but not a massive disruption to the team spirit that has been built up....I think characters will be selected carefully in order to integrate like john McGinn and Tyrone Mings has.Dean will not want to have wasted words or his time developing players, he will see it as an investment in his philosophy.

We need to understand that this team has got us up, that will be a major boost to their confidence and team confidence.....new players coming in, despite their reputations have achieved nothing with us.

just saying.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

See my post on the previous page. I have little overseas knowledge also, so instead of suggesting we sign the Championship Team of the Season, I asked for others’ input and did a little digging on some of the top goalscorers in the European leagues. :P

My post wasn’t a pop at you btw, I’ve seen numerous people on social media suggesting the same players. I just think it’s short-sighted to just go with what you’ve seen in the Championship.

Ah sorry mate, I think I was typing my long post with all my "championship" players at the same time you posted 🤣

No don't get me wrong I agree with you, I hope our scouts are scouring every single country for class players and I'm sure they are, the ones I've mentioned are just suggestions that I think are better than what we've got. I don't for one minute think we will get them all 👍 

Genuinely excited to see who we do bring in 😊

• Like 1

Me too @WakefieldVillan, exciting times to be a Villan!

The way I look at it, Smith has always had a philosophy, and he’s always managed to find players that fit into it, whilst also seemingly having a desire to bring in the ‘right type of person’. The main difference now, is that he has the resources to buy players that fit this mould, but also have an added level of quality to them!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

I follow Werder Bremen in the Bundesliga and Milot Rashica has been unbelievable this season. He'd light it up here. Him and El Ghazi swapping wings would be tasty.

This is the kinda content I come for. Eastern European too...

I see they paid over £6m for him last summer. We'd be looking at £20m+? Are Bremen much of a selling team these days @abdomlahor?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Too many changes will only confuse the squad. 5 out 5 in. Not more than that.

Is that including signing the loan players? 

I think we’ll see at least 7 in and more out.