Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Let’s try keep the nucleus of the team with few good additions and then sign one or two top top players, like when Man City signed Robinho, he was bought as a statement of intent by their owners at the time, I think we could flex our financial muscles and do the same and show the rest of the league we are back and back with intent. 

If that means we have to spend £150m upwards  this summer to keep the squad and one marquee signing so be it, top teams will be spending that on one player in the next 5 years.

• Like 1

Just now, Mazrim said:

AThere is no squad depth outside the 13 or 14 that played regularly. Of those 13 or 14, 5 or 6 are not even ours. Then there are a large number of contracts coming to an end that wont be renewed unless we've lost our minds.

Simple numbers. We need to buy a lot of players. Build a squad around Grealish, and McGinn. Dont get romantic about keeping that team together. Its gone. We were always going to rebuild this summer regardless.

And before the ghost of Fulham is raised again as a reason not to get busy. It has no bearing on us. Do it right. They didn't.

We need at least 10 players. Some starters, some for depth. Look at our squad right now, minus the loans that have left... Add even 5 players to them and see if you get a team that will survive out of it.

Totally agree with this post.

Just because Fulham wasted a load of money and sacked their manager, doesn't mean we have to go down this route. 
We probably need 10 players and if we spend anything less than 80-100m, I genuinely think we'll struggle.

Build the team around Grealish, Mcginn and Mings but do it with astute signings who will work hard for the cause. 

Realistically I think we can expect the following players to play a part next season

Steer, Nyland, Kalinic, Elmo, Freddy Gilbert, Chester, Taylor, Grealish, Hourihane, McGinn, Green, Davis = only 12 players that I can see still being here. Even then I think there are question marks over 1 of the keepers, Chester, Taylor and Green. I am pretty sure we will sign Hause, Mings and El Ghazi. So that is 15. 10 more needed to get to a squad of 25. 

I think Thor will go to Italy, Lansbury on loan, we won't renew anyone's contract apart from Steer's and Kodjia will go to France. 

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Realistically I think we can expect the following players to play a part next season

Steer, Nyland, Kalinic, Elmo, Freddy Gilbert, Chester, Taylor, Grealish, Hourihane, McGinn, Green, Davis = only 12 players that I can see still being here. Even then I think there are question marks over 1 of the keepers, Chester, Taylor and Green. I am pretty sure we will sign Hause, Mings and El Ghazi. So that is 15. 10 more needed to get to a squad of 25. 

I think Thor will go to Italy, Lansbury on loan, we won't renew anyone's contract apart from Steer's and Kodjia will go to France. 

I think we need 10 as well.

• Like 1

I think 8 of the Wembley XI are good enough, with left back, right wing and DM the holes in that team (I like Hourihane but we need a different player in the Prem).  So a minimum of 3 plus the 5 loan players, of which we will definitely sign 3.  Lots of work, but doable.

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Permanently?

Loan deals. Sitting on the bench hoping to get 20 minutes here and there isn't enough for 20 year old lads. They need to be playing.

If we didn't go up by all means I would have them and they would feature substantially I would imagine - I cannot see either of them featuring much now and I rate both.

• Like 2

There's no room for sentiment in this game, I don't see Smith predominantly sticking with the players who got us up, I fully expect upwards of 10 players to come in with a number of those being immediate starters. Smith will keep the players who he thinks will best perform at this level both as starters and squad players, no more, no less.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Loan deals. Sitting on the bench hoping to get 20 minutes here and there isn't enough for 20 year old lads. They need to be playing.

If we didn't go up by all means I would have them and they would feature substantially I would imagine - I cannot see either of them featuring much now and I rate both.

I agree with you but if they do get loaned out again (in Green’s case), we’ll need reinforcements. They will both thrive, the same goes for Hepburn-Murphy and Suliman (if he’s still here, I still can’t find anything about him)

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I love the journey that Joe has been on, but he’s 26 and this is the first season that he’s scored 10+ goals. Maybe I’m aiming for players that we can’t realistically get, but I look at players that Southampton bought in their early Premier League seasons and those are the types of players I want us looking at. ‘Bargain’ buys that have the potential to become Top 6 players. I don’t see that in Lolley. I think he has the ability to go up a gear, but I can only see him going as far as a bottom half Prem team. 

That’s before we even mention that he signed a new deal at Forest so will probably cost £15m.

He's had to work very hard to get where he is and he's got 4 peak years in him. I'd say he's already bottom half of the prem standard, as I don't think it's that different from top of the championship, and can get better under Smith and his coaching team. He's got a great attitude, the technical and physical ability to do it and he already loves the club. Double digits for goals and assists last season in a mediocre forest team. I think he'd be a great fit for us.

15 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Could we get Tielemans? Or am I dreaming?

No doubt we could, just follow the spurs model, in sure they will accept 4m + Green for him....

Edited by MaVilla

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Lots of people including Guilbert in their PL starting 11s at RB, is he actually any good? As in, better than Elmo as I do think Elmo did very well for us this year, esp the end run.

Guilbert looks good on YouTube, that’s all I have to go on, Elmohamady wouldn’t cope in the Premier League anymore in my opinion