Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

The keepers are fine for now. I still think Kalinic is a first rate keeper and will come good.

Full backs. We have Guilbert who I know nothing about but the new guys selected him so happy to trust hes good enough. Elmo as back up concerns me but will have to do for now. Bree isnt good enough. Taylor and Hutton should be moved on. Sign Hause and Mings to cover centre half and left back but sign a first choice left back.

Centre halves. Mings and Hause. Id be tempted to sign Cahill for his experience and he's on a free. Add Konsa maybe if we move Chester on. Sorry, I dont rate Chester. or Elphick. Tuanzebe is the dream.

Midfield. Grealish and McGinn are obvious starters. Hourihane as a squad player. After that... I'm at a loss. Move Bjarnasson, Lansbury, Whelan, Tshibola, Gardner and Jedinak on. Bring in players with dynamism. A mobile ball winning defensive midfielder is essential. Phillips? Then we need a couple of players to provide options and cover. Milner is too tempting on a bosman. I'd look at that. Then an exciting young box to box or attacking mid. Aribo? See how the likes of Ramsey and O'Hare do in preseason too.

Wingers. We have none. El Ghazi should be signed asap for 5m. Green needs to go and get it right or just go. Albert is done. We need at least 3 if we're going to play 4 3 3 again. Preferably 4. Some bargains from abroad and Bowen would be nice 

Strikers. We obviously need to sign at least 1 main striker. 2 would be nice. Questions over Davis. Personally I'd keep Kodjia around and Davis. See how Rushian does in preseason. But definitely 1 or 2 needed. Move Hogan, McCormack etc on.

Lots to do.

Edited by Mazrim

41 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Totally agree with this post.

Just because Fulham wasted a load of money and sacked their manager, doesn't mean we have to go down this route. 
We probably need 10 players and if we spend anything less than 80-100m, I genuinely think we'll struggle.

Build the team around Grealish, Mcginn and Mings but do it with astute signings who will work hard for the cause. 

Investing in squad depth in key areas is crucial. You only have to look at what happened when axel and Grealish were injured. On top of that we need first team players to improve the quality of the first 11. I certainly wouldn't want to go into the Premier league season with green and Taylor anywhere near the starting lineup. Also, as good as chester has been, he is managing a serious knee injury and may not be able to perform to the same standard.

All this costs money. I would expect we will spend at least 100m this window. Just because Fulham brought badly doesn't mean we will. Most of the spine will remain intact, which is the main thing. 

Sadly I'm thinking 100 million is probably the minimum required if we are not doing loans this up coming season.

Mings, el ghazi, hause all 3 for me are already villa players and that's 20 million.

We need another left back another CB another RB another rw another dcm and 2 forwards.

And that's the minimum.

Keep in mind there is not much difference between the bottom 6 of premier league and top 6 championship and we needed axel and tammy to make the top 6.

16th to 11th would be success in my mind for next year.

Need 2 experienced fit players in the starting team

Cahill and Hayden would be a good start but the prices the media have put on Hayden? Wtf ? 10 million yes 15.. nope.

Exciting but nervous times.

Not sure why we are all wanting to be so conservative, let’s go crazy and be the Galacticos of England’s, let’s beat Man City and Chelsea at their own game, it’s not like the money is going to run out!

Then once we burst the top 4 party the money will start to pay itself back. And global Domination begins!!! UTV! 

• Haha 1

I think we potentially have a keeper in Steer or Kalanic.  I would probably offload Nyland.  Sarkic as third choice, although it would probably be good to get him out on loan and playing somewhere so maybe keep Bunn for another year?

Right back is sorted with Guilbert.  I would probably look to sell Elmo to Brucie - he's bound to be in for him.  Keep seeing links to Tavernier who I have never seen but his scoring and assist stats are very strong for a full back!  I would give Bree another season on loan with a more fancied championship club than Ipswich. 

Left back looks good with Hause - I thought he looked a player when he started there and his crossing was as good as any full back I have seen in a Villa shirt for a few years.  I would ideally add the lad from Luton (or similar) if we can afford it.  If we get the latter, I would look to offload Taylor back in to the Championship and get a bit of the transfer fee back.

We need 4 CB's clearly.  If Chester is okay/not finished then he could be the back up RCB and Mings is obviously the first choice LCB, assuming we can sign him.  All the reports say £15m but they have bought two defenders over the last 6 months - Mepham and Lloydd Kelly - for £12m & £13m that Howe obviously wants so not sure why we would pay more than this for one that he doesn't??  Barbet seems to be on the radar and would make good back up (we would also have three LCBs that can also play LB).  Cahill or Tuanzebe or Van de Hoorn for RCB or two of them if Chester needs to be moved on?  Cahill obviously brings the advantage of PL experience, a link to the club and relationship with JT.

I would like a DCM - Phillips or Hayden for me.  Not keen on the Arter links.  Hourihane as back up here.  I see we are being linked with McEachran on a free and I do like him.  Jack and McGinn have to start as the attacking CM'ers.  I would keep Lansbury - I think he can do a job as a box to box back up BUT we need another as well.  Haven't seen Aribo or the young Turkish lad we are being linked with.  O'Hare and possibly Ramsey need decent loans, with O'Hare hopefully trying out with a decent Championship club - maybe as a sweetener for a deal that brings Aribo to the Villa?

We definitely need  a couple of wide players to come in and El Ghazi.  In an ideal world we would get Lolley - I like what I have seen of him - and one of Wilson, Bowen or Kent (haven't seen enough of them to know which I would prefer).  Green becomes fourth choice.

Up front, Maupay would be my choice with, in an ideal world, Marriott (I liked what I have seen of him for Derby - still don't understand why Frank didn't start him) and Davis as back up options.  Wouldn't want Gayle, although he did look a menace in the Baggies games, as he has had several opportunities and not done it and I'm glad that we aren't getting Tammy as I think he is too lightweight for the PL.  Benteke would be interesting if we could bring him back - either on loan or on the cheap - to compete with Maupay.  I would sell JK - I don't see him performing in the PL - and Hogan if possible.  RHM should be loaned out higher up the pyramid.

As it stands now IMO only Grealish and McGinn are PL ready with hopefully Guilbert and Kalinic also up to standards.

With the loan players gone that's 7 starters we have to bring in.

We have a bunch of guys who can fill in as squad players like Hourihane, Elmo, Steer, Chester (Taylor) and so on, but I'd not have most f them as regular starters.

I'd also be tempted to sell some of them if an offer came in as it's the last chance to get money for the likes of Kodjia. 

Players like Lansbury, Thor, Hogan, (Bree?), Gardner,  Thsibola... will IMO never be good enough for the PL

Hopefully Mings and El Ghazi can fill 2 of those spots but there's still a lot of work to be done.

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Alberto Moreno is free. Could be a decent option for left back. Maybe him and Rico Henry?

Not sure why Rico Henry keeps being mentioned apart from he played for Smith at Walsall and then Brentford.

He had a serious injury that kept him out for a long time and was solid enough but is he really someone who would walk into the first team of a premiership club?

There is a hell of a lot to do!

Granted we need a lot of players, but it's not all going to happen in one window. Not all of the players we want to leave will leave in this window.

To have a decent crack of the PL this year we ideally need 2 decent quality players in each position:

GK - Steer, Kalinic & Nyland - We are overstocked in this area and have no need to buy.

RB - Guilbert & Elmo - Guilbert has been signed for this position already, Elmo is fine as backup for a season.

LB - Taylor - We need to sign a left back as a priority, Taylor is fine as backup for a season.

CB - Chester - We need to sign 3 centre backs as a priority. It is likely that we will buy Hause and Mings leaving us with one more to find. Tuanzebe likely will opt to stay at Man Utd.

CM - Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, Whelan, Lansbury - We are pretty strong in this position but could do with at least one more quality midfielder, and a replacement for either Lansbury or Whelan. One of these two new players need's to be able to handle Grealish's role in his absence.

LW - Green - We need to sign one more left winger, unless Green is sent out on loan in which case we will need two. It is likely we will buy El Ghazi

RW - We need to sign two left wingers as a priority

ST - Kodjia, Davis - Ideally we need 3 strikers, Davis will likely benefit from a loan move. Two strikers are a priority. Abraham will likely opt to stay at Chelsea.

I make this 3 signings from last seasons loan players and then requiring another 9 players. It's a huge task but it loks as though we have begun early with releasing players.

It means players like Whelan, Taylor & Elmo will need to be retained as backup for a year; we can then look at replacing them in January or next Summer.

10 minutes ago, Farlz said:

With the number of players being released and a lack of any real decent depth to begin with, we're gonna need a whole lot more than I probably realised this summer. 

I want us to try and keep continuity and build on what we have, but there's no denying including making loans permanent there's going to be at least 10 bodies through the door to have any kind of squad for next season.

With the quality we are looking for, most of those signings will be £10m plus.

I'll be surprised if we don't spend £100m give or take.

We have to get this right or we will be in BIG trouble...

21 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

Not sure why Rico Henry keeps being mentioned apart from he played for Smith at Walsall and then Brentford.

He had a serious injury that kept him out for a long time and was solid enough but is he really someone who would walk into the first team of a premiership club?

Maybe not. Hence compete with another. Why I suggested Moreno too.

4 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I want us to try and keep continuity and build on what we have, but there's no denying including making loans permanent there's going to be at least 10 bodies through the door to have any kind of squad for next season.

With the quality we are looking for, most of those signings will be £10m plus.

I'll be surprised if we don't spend £100m give or take.

We have to get this right or we will be in BIG trouble...

I very much doubt we’ll spend £100m, with the owners, I expect us to be prudent

You can't be prudent. It means certain death. We also don't have the luxury with how many players we need. No way are these guys content to tread water in relegation battles. We wont be pissing money up the wall on show ponies, but we'll be spending alright.

35 minutes ago, Farlz said:

With the number of players being released and a lack of any real decent depth to begin with, we're gonna need a whole lot more than I probably realised this summer. 

did you not read the full title of this thread? ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I very much doubt we’ll spend £100m, with the owners, I expect us to be prudent

Our owners are ambitious, they will spend what we need to stay in the division.

I think we will be prudent, but with the sheer number of players we need to sign and the number of those that need to be real quality for the first team we are going to get to around that total. Loan signings with an option to buy may take that total down slightly.

I know bargains can be had, but it would be naive to think we are going to make 10+ bargain signings all of which turn out to be quality enough to keep us up and it only cost £50m between them.

We need to buy half of our first team from their parent clubs, then improve upon that first team with real quality and then fill out a squad that is seriously depleted. It will cost a lot of money.

• Like 1