Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

52 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think that a strategy whereby you have subpar players who are not fit for purpose waiting in the wings behind an overpriced first choice is terrible and should be ridiculed. Why?

You will almost certainly need them to play at some point. Oops.

This is a pedantic but important point: subpar literally means below average. So yes, you bloody well do want to have subpar players on the bench because we can't win any points for having the best bench in England. And I fully agree with you that the likes of Adomah and Hutton are subpar but it's hyperbole to say they're not fit for purpose. I'm delighted that lot have been deemed surplus to requirements, but Adomah has signed for a Championship team that were 3 places shy of a playoff place last year, and Hutton is linked with the team that finished one place outside it. Elphick signed with a club that were Premier League last year. By any standard, they could do a job.

Look, let's take talk about the two extremes. One extreme is we have 11 top class first-team players, but the subs are pure dross because we have no money left. The other extreme is we have 25 equally good players in the squad. That's also risky, because we're lacking quality. Obviously Aston Villa are in the middle, but Genius is suggesting signing ALL THE DEFENDERS has put us at risk and we should be a little closer to the 11 proven quality players.

That's a fair point, even if you and I disagree with it. Disagree it "should be ridiculed".

• Like 1

Rumours in the twattersphere of Duvan Zapata from atalanta...he has a great goal to minute ratio and scored more goals in series A than ronaldo last season...

Only problem i see with that rumour above is that he is 28 and doesnt exactly meet  the sell on philosophy of the club atm

4 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Rumours in the twattersphere of Duvan Zapata from atalanta...he has a great goal to minute ratio and scored more goals in series A than ronaldo last season...

Only problem i see with that rumour above is that he is 28 and doesnt exactly meet  the sell on philosophy of the club atm

Isn't jota 28 and heaton is 33.

12 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

The video reveal getting off a train.

"Pardon me boys. Duvan Zapata on the choo choo..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The thing with getting PL players they’re either castoffs or overpriced. 

Yes we could do some castoffs carefully (Mings who done well with us, and Heaton who Burnley had someone to start instead of him). But generally no team will be easy to sell their players. Championship players are going for crazy money let alone PL ones. 

I don’t think we would have done much better, and to be honest we were the last PL club to start planning. All teams knew their status atleast a month before us.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

What’s Zapata you? Hey!

Why you look-a so sad?

It’s-a not so bad, it’s a nice-a place,

Ah Zapata you’re face.

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

problem I see with it is he's on a 2 year loan deal and fired them to the CL last season

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Zapata would be awesome. Don't think he's owned by Atalanta, they loaned him last year. Think Atalanta got Champions League football too so I'd be surprised if they didn't make a move for him.

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

He wasn't including add ons. I see no reason not to figure them in.

Because they not be met perhaps??! Just like  Bent’s fee was up to £24million but we only paid £18.5 or £19.5 million... And if they do get met then great but doesn’t class as expenditure for this year so why bother counting them ?

39 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I can't imagine him leaving CL football for Villa. Pretty sure the owner also previously said in this window it'd take €60m+

20 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Because they not be met perhaps??! Just like  Bent’s fee was up to £24million but we only paid £18.5 or £19.5 million... And if they do get met then great but doesn’t class as expenditure for this year so why bother counting them ?

Planned expenditure and prudence. Yeah, not this years accounts maybe but you don't just do a 12 month forecast when you announce a signing.

Meh, I don't care. The less we paid the better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I don't think that was exactly how @Genie presented it, no.

I think Genie was thinking more along the lines of us having a better chance of survival if we had a team something like below, by spending £120m on 6 quality first team players and not having the risk of an overhaul causing as much disruption.

ST

LW                                            RW

McGinn      Grealish

DM

Taylor         CB       CB            Guilbert

Steer

Imagine if those 6 new players above were all of a high level of quality, possibly with proven Prem experience. Would that give us a better chance of survival? Who knows. We'd have a much weaker bench and squad overall, but then perhaps giving an extra year to the likes of Whelan, Adomah, Hutton (etc) would have kept together a better team spirit than the one we're now having to rebuild (albeit, having a huge drop in quality if the first team had any injuries).

Who knows?

I don't think the amount of ridicule that @Genie has received is fair though. People are just taking half of what he's said and jumping on it, instead of actually considering whether spreading our money across fewer players could have been a viable alternative.

Even then a couple of injuries and we’d be f**ked. 

Our average spend for each player is about 13m which is still a lot of money in my opinion. It’s not like we’ve gone for quantity over quaility.

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Even then a couple of injuries and we’d be f**ked. 

Our average spend for each player is about 13m which is still a lot of money in my opinion. It’s not like we’ve gone for quantity over quaility.

i would say we have "gone for the best quality we can, considering the quantity we needed to buy".

very happy with the transfer window so far tbh, thinking what Bruce would have spent 130m on gives me the heebee jeebies, at least we can see what DS and the recruitment team are trying to do, its quite clear we are trying to buy the right type of players to suit how we want to play etc, with the wrong manager this transfer window could have been.......an experience.

a Bruce team might have been:

Nyland, Taylor, Cahill, Chester, Elmo, Grealish, McGinn, Whelan, Sturridge, Wellbeck, Austin.

Subs: Jedinak, Carroll, Puncheon, Kalinic, Adomah, Kodjia, Hourihane.

Sturridge, Wellbeck, Austin, Carroll, Puncheon, Cahill all on 100k to 200k per week, 5 year contracts.

might have also fancied Cattermole and a few others......

Mucho money saved for Kebabs on transfer fees.

Edited by MaVilla