Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

On 29/06/2019 at 17:28, Wezbid said:

Oi, Purslow, transfer committee, we all know you read this forum to decide who we sign. 

Go get Jules Kounde instead of Bristol City trying to keg us. 20 years old, fits our style and no dearer than Webster I would imagine. 

To all you shitty journalists and junk sites like Football Insider and HITC, let's get this snowballing on your click bait sites. Ask Noel Whelan and Peter Fear what they reckon to him joining. 

Gone to Sevilla for €25m. That's the end of that dream! 

I have a new French dream, now that the believable Sun have said we're not in for Butland. 

Walter Benitez. The reactions of a cat on speed, young, brave, if Cutler could teach him to catch some shots then he'd be next level. Probably cheaper than Butland. 

Whilst we're in France, let's get Santamaria and Rongier. We could probably get both of those combined for the same price as Philips. 

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. 

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I like your review of the players, would certainly think adding those player would complete us in alot of areas.

Yes Maupay has an attitude, yet when you do 28 goals like last season I guess you can afford to be like that and why stop at if it's helping you to score. For a little guy he does seem to find the nooks and cranny. Maybe that's what we need a big guy like Wesley playing first wearing out the opposition,then totally switch it up for speed and utilise Maupay in a different way to totally pull them apart.

Would be ace to have two strikers with the spice in there soul but we do need another striker or we will be in trouble if wesley gets injured, doesn't work out or takes time to get running.

while I don't know whether Maupay has an attitude or not (I haven't seen any evidence to either perspective), I do agree with the rest of what you are saying. I think we need two options should one not be the hit we expect and also to have tactical options with different styles of attacking. I would be all for Maupay personally as I think he's a very good striker and wouldn't have trouble stepping up to the PL standard.

28 minutes ago, bully said:

They were only there for 24 hours

Oh - I missed where they said they were there only there on the, presumably, Saturday (as that's when Egypt played).

Shame as I really like Sangare!

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It isn't a bargain, its cheap. It can only be considered a bargain if the move succeeds.

Ultimately I think we are in a very different position to Bournemouth (which is testimony to just how badly we've been run) in that they are able to invest or take a chance in a player like that. They can bring someone in who they can develop and take time to bed in, they can sign someone who doesn't have to be a 1st team starter on the first day of the season.

We aren't in that position. We aren't in that position either financially or in terms of the make up our squad. It would be great if we could be spending money picking up a few young cheap gems from the Championship or League One to develop and to sit in our squad but the reality is we don't have that luxury. We need a team now, we need players that can contribute now.

We are in a fight next season to stay up, that is the reality. We need players who can immediately improve our chance of doing that so a lad from a newly promoted side from League One isn't really what we need right now.

That said though we tried our absolute best to sign the Justin from Luton who opted for Leicester over us so its not like we've not tried.

I don't disagree with you, FWIW.

A few days ago someone said that signing Butland, Phillips and Webster for £70m would be 'cheap', and the subsequent discussion was around whether that could be considered cheap or not. And, of course, the reasoning given by another poster was that Premier League signings don't go for low prices anymore.

You're completely right in what you say, Stacey can't be considered a bargain until he's played (and played well) in the Prem, but the same can be said for Webster and Phillips, which is why I was arguing that those 3 for £70m wouldn't be considered cheap, in my opinion.

I think we’ll sign Butland probably in a week or so once Stoke get a little more keen to get things moving their end. I also think we’ll sign Maupay but I could be wrong.

One position that is imperative is the DM role, hopefully we get that sorted sooner rather than later. Those three in and we’re in good shape.

• Like 2

As it stands now I think we will struggle for goals.

Pinning all our hopes to Wesley who was Club Brugge's 3rd higest scorer last season with 10 league goals and who finished joint 10th in the scoring chart in the Jupiler legue is risky.

I know we paid a lot for him and the club must have scouted him very thoroughly to be confident he's worth the outlay. Hopefully he'll be a revelation.

Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, El Ghazi will chip in with a few as will our defenders if our set piece delivery works.

But we really need the final wide player signing to add real quality, and maybe not Maupay at £20m. But probably a plan b strike option as well.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don't disagree with you, FWIW.

A few days ago someone said that signing Butland, Phillips and Webster for £70m would be 'cheap', and the subsequent discussion was around whether that could be considered cheap or not. And, of course, the reasoning given by another poster was that Premier League signings don't go for low prices anymore.

You're completely right in what you say, Stacey can't be considered a bargain until he's played (and played well) in the Prem, but the same can be said for Webster and Phillips, which is why I was arguing that those 3 for £70m wouldn't be considered cheap, in my opinion.

Then I'd agree with you.

11 hours ago, DamsonwoodVillan said:

Chester is crocked now. He won't be able to cope with 25+ Premier League games. 

Great servant to the club, only has one year to go anyway. He'll stay as we'll need four first team centre backs in this league 

Something would've gone wrong with our transfer strategy if he's playing 25 + next season.

I'd keep him around as back up, I'm sure he can manage his knee better if he's only playing here and there. Experience and done o.k at Hull a few years back in the prem.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Pinning all our hopes to Wesley who was Club Brugge's 3rd higest scorer last season with 10 league goals and who finished joint 10th in the scoring chart in the Jupiler legue is risky.

I know we paid a lot for him and the club must have scouted him very thoroughly to be confident he's worth the outlay. Hopefully he'll be a revelation.

Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, El Ghazi will chip in with a few as will our defenders if our set piece delivery works.

But we really need the final wide player signing to add real quality, and maybe not Maupay at £20m. But probably a plan b strike option as well.

I don't think we will unless Grealish gets injured. El Ghazi had a drought when Grealish was injured then he came back and the team was scoring for fun. We have real attacking threats beyond Wesley and I think he'll add another dimension. 

Wesley goal involvement is more relevant than total scored. Wasn't it 10 goals and 7 assists? 7 assists is quite high for PL strikers. I think more than Aguero without looking

Edited by Kiwivillan

Just read on the BBC that Dean Smith and Jesus Pitarch were in Cairo on Saturday watching an Egyptian midfielder called Trezeguet (in the AFCON). I just hope he's a defensive midfielder and that he's good !

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Totally agree and feel sure, we must have another potent striking option on our shopping list. Personally, I'd like it to be Maupay, as I think he could either play with, or as an alternative to, any of the front three positions. If not him, then someone of his ilk.

• Like 1

Just now, robby b said:

Just read on the BBC that Dean Smith and Jesus Pitarch were in Cairo on Saturday watching an Egyptian midfielder called Trezeguet (in the AFCON). I just hope he's a defensive midfielder and that he's good !

Nah winger.

Poster on another forum said he was Egypt's best player during AFCON going forward but club career in europe hasn't reached the heights yet. That said wouldn't be the worst signing, only 24 and seems to have a goal in him, 22 goals in around 60 games for Kasimpasa.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, robby b said:

He's not a DM, I don't rate him personally and was probably BBC transfer rumour aggregator not BBC itself. I don't believe it

We won't play 2 up front so no Wesley + Maupay. We won't sign Maupay and bench him. It's a lazy link because Brentford and we were linked with him as long as Smith took over as manager. At least Benrahma makes sense as a target