Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, villarocker said:

Ah mate, I was totally gripped by that post but then you went and spoilt it a smidgen with the last two words - it made me feel like Rylan Clark had suddenly joined Villatalk! 😂

Ha... nothing sudden about it, I’ve been on here for ages. Haven’t you noticed my occasional sabbaticals coincide with my TV schedule?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Trezeguet and Nakamba still just look like paper rumours to me. The rest of that team looks good, though. I think there is more truth in the Cahill/Webster links, so I'd go with that defence.

Nonsense links imo. Useful as a job application for the Sun maybe

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Would add Maupay, Mariot, Webster, Butland, Trezeguet, Lolley, Nakamba and a LB- gibbs(WB) or Wallace(millwall) or blacket (reading) to our squad.

Would be a lovely wishlist that

I'm not sure where Maupay would fit in plus, I can't stand the dirty little runt but,, I'd like him in my team. Wesley, apparently, as a fiery streak in him so it would be good to have two strikers with fire in their belly. Trezeguet looks rapid and would add a lot of pace to the team. Lolley would be great back-up and work his socks being one of us. Nakamba would add bite down the middle plus more pace. Gibbs would do a job covering lb. Not sure on Wallace or Blackett. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't be surprised to see butland arrive in on loan with a hefty loan charge and a view to buy in 12 months.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Apparently, we’ve ended our interest in Butland. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case at 25m.

If true that's quite disheartening as having a solid 'keeper is just as important as a 20 goal-a-season striker. If we're willing to go so high on Mings, we should just get Butland done and dusted - £20m with £5m added on if we stay up this season. No brainer surely? 

• Like 1

Can Maupay play as a wide forward ? If so we could play with him & Wesley with jack as a false 9 type player dropping deep and roaming to get the ball with Wesley & Maupay/Leao cutting in from the wings. McGinn them  breaking forward when jack drops deep and with Santamaria & Phillips doing the dirty work behind providing cover . I do believe false 9 could be Grealish best position as it would give him freedom to collect the ball and run at players which is what he does best in a 4231 formation. 

Edited by thabucks

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Interesting idea, can see the logic of that for several reasons for us but I suspect they might need the money earlier from an FFP perspective.

My view on Butland is we can wait. I don't think many PL clubs will be in for him, we've a geographical advantage for once and I think the player would love the move.

I think we can probably afford to let Stoke sweat a little on this one.

Just a theory.

Hope you're right Trent. He'd be an important part of the jigsaw for me. I hope we get this done however it happens. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Interesting idea, can see the logic of that for several reasons for us but I suspect they might need the money earlier from an FFP perspective.

My view on Butland is we can wait. I don't think many PL clubs will be in for him, we've a geographical advantage for once and I think the player would love the move.

Just a theory.

yeah butland could be a deadline day signing tbh.

The story of us giving up on Butland originated from an article published on the sun news website last night, so that immediately suggests that there might not even be any truth to it, although it wasn't authored by Alan Nixon. Same article also said that Smith now wants Heaton instead, so I guess if you believe the first part then it follows that there's a very good chance that you might believe the second part.

9 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I'm not sure where Maupay would fit in plus, I can't stand the dirty little runt but,, I'd like him in my team. Wesley, apparently, as a fiery streak in him so it would be good to have two strikers with fire in their belly. Trezeguet looks rapid and would add a lot of pace to the team. Lolley would be great back-up and work his socks being one of us. Nakamba would add bite down the middle plus more pace. Gibbs would do a job covering lb. Not sure on Wallace or Blackett. 

I like your review of the players, would certainly think adding those player would complete us in alot of areas.

Yes Maupay has an attitude, yet when you do 28 goals like last season I guess you can afford to be like that and why stop at if it's helping you to score. For a little guy he does seem to find the nooks and cranny. Maybe that's what we need a big guy like Wesley playing first wearing out the opposition,then totally switch it up for speed and utilise Maupay in a different way to totally pull them apart.

Would be ace to have two strikers with the spice in there soul but we do need another striker or we will be in trouble if wesley gets injured, doesn't work out or takes time to get running.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Just a theory.

I agree Trent. I mentioned it last week, that I'd be happy for us to save the keeper purchase until deadline day, if needed. A keeper can slot into a team easily, without having any real effect on pre-season and team-building.

I've seen some people already say "Pay the £25m! He's worth it!", but, if as you've suggested, we only have roughly £60-70m left to spend, then that's another big chunk on one position, when we have a number to fill.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villarocker said:

If true that's quite disheartening as having a solid 'keeper is just as important as a 20 goal-a-season striker. If we're willing to go so high on Mings, we should just get Butland done and dusted - £20m with £5m added on if we stay up this season. No brainer surely? 

Depends how big the pot of money is. If that 20m means we can’t sign Kalvin Phillips then no, we shouldn’t spend it. 

Would like him here though.

34 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Apparently, we’ve ended our interest in Butland. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case at 25m.

So i expect him to sign on Wednesday then 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Wes said:

New theory: Smith and Suso are still out at the African Cup of Nations to watch the Ivory Coast take on Mali this afternoon (to watch ibrahim Sangare)

They were only there for 24 hours

36 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Probably sign him on Wednesday now.

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Since when did we have limited money, and when did Smith become crazy?

Said it yourself, FFP limits us. We don't have an unlimited budget, thus limited.

He isn't crazy. Just a joke of his love of attacking football.

It would be incredibly exciting to sign Maupay as well as big Wes. Wondering if he could do a job on the wing as cover for the whole front three.